The Iceshanty Ice Auger Board is sponsored by
Nils Master Authorized Sharpening Service

Author Topic: clam plate 8 inch gear box recall  (Read 24753 times)

Offline Jtemp

• IceShanty Rookie
Re: clam plate 8 inch gear box recall
« Reply #30 on: Dec 28, 2016, 02:28 PM »
update, clam responded via email in about 24hrs... i was told they should be getting updated boxes in "about a week or so"

Offline Maizen

• IceShanty Rookie
  • live in Canton Mich grew up on clarklake
« Reply #31 on: Dec 28, 2016, 07:38 PM »
I called clam today they replied to the email I sent them in 15 min then I filled out the warrenty claim. They gave me two choices either return it where I bought it or wait for the replacement to come and send them back the recalled gear box

Offline Ice Scratcher

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #32 on: Dec 28, 2016, 07:55 PM »
I finally heard back today as well..

Pretty pissed off at this point..

We'll see if they can get it right...

Anyone that's bought one so far has been lied to and duped and that cannot be fixed..

<°)))>{

Offline whiteyes

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #33 on: Dec 30, 2016, 06:49 AM »
I got the plate and the gear box for christmas. Gear box didn't even make one complete hole and something broke inside. Very disappointed. When we get home I'll be definitely trying to get ahold of clam and see what the tell me. Hopefully they stand behind the product. Kind of disappointed with the last 2 products to I've bought from them. Time to rethink about buying there products in the future.

Offline Ice Scratcher

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #34 on: Dec 30, 2016, 06:56 AM »
I got the plate and the gear box for christmas. Gear box didn't even make one complete hole and something broke inside. Very disappointed. When we get home I'll be definitely trying to get ahold of clam and see what the tell me. Hopefully they stand behind the product. Kind of disappointed with the last 2 products to I've bought from them. Time to rethink about buying there products in the future.

Same here..

The only stories of real users say they didn't even get one hole...

Clam said they tested it with 8 and 9 inch bits...

Nothing but lies...

<°)))>{

Offline Maizen

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #35 on: Dec 30, 2016, 11:48 AM »
useing my clam plate with the gear reducer and 8 inch nils 50 plus holes no problems 7 to 8 inches of ice

Offline Ice Scratcher

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #36 on: Dec 30, 2016, 08:44 PM »
useing my clam plate with the gear reducer and 8 inch nils 50 plus holes no problems 7 to 8 inches of ice

Is the case of your gear box aluminum or plastic?

<°)))>{

Offline Maizen

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #37 on: Dec 31, 2016, 10:57 AM »
Is the case of your gear box aluminum or plastic?

<°)))>{
plastic with bronze bushings for the gear shafts the gears are the issue somehow some were made of powdered metal and not solid steel gear blanks

Offline lynng

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #38 on: Dec 31, 2016, 05:49 PM »
I got this email from Clam yesterday in response to my warranty claim filed on 12/ 19.

"We just wanted to update you on the status of your gearbox warranty. We have processed a warranty order for you and will be shipping the updated gearboxes as soon as we get inventory in. They are currently in the testing phase. We do not have a specific date yet, but we are hopeful that we can start shipping them within the next couple weeks. We appreciate your patience and again apologize for the inconvenience caused."

Offline Ice Scratcher

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #39 on: Dec 31, 2016, 05:54 PM »
I got this email from Clam yesterday in response to my warranty claim filed on 12/ 19.

"We just wanted to update you on the status of your gearbox warranty. We have processed a warranty order for you and will be shipping the updated gearboxes as soon as we get inventory in. They are currently in the testing phase. We do not have a specific date yet, but we are hopeful that we can start shipping them within the next couple weeks. We appreciate your patience and again apologize for the inconvenience caused."

I find that pretty funny because they sent me exactly the same.. But it looks like someone is working off the top of the stack of issues...

The more recent, faster service.. They care more about a problem today that one that's been burning for three weeks..

<°)))>{

Offline 1moslab

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #40 on: Jan 02, 2017, 05:25 PM »
friggen commies

Offline Jtemp

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #41 on: Jan 10, 2017, 08:50 AM »
got the same email again that others have received its just copied and pasted along. anyone else hear any new news, getting a little irritated here. glad i already had the plate with bearing... cant imagine if i had bought the plate with gearbox and was dead in the water. 

Offline Ice Scratcher

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #42 on: Jan 10, 2017, 09:04 AM »
got the same email again that others have received its just copied and pasted along. anyone else hear any new news, getting a little irritated here. glad i already had the plate with bearing... cant imagine if i had bought the plate with gearbox and was dead in the water.

So two weeks later you got the same email talking about them sending them in a couple weeks?

<°)))>{

Offline whiteyes

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #43 on: Jan 10, 2017, 11:32 AM »
Just got off the phone with clam and they told me it'd be at least 2 weeks before they get the new gear boxes in n then they'll send them out. Took box gear box office n put the straight shaft in till new box gets here.

Offline Ice Scratcher

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #44 on: Jan 10, 2017, 12:40 PM »
I'm just using my drill with the side handle, it lighter than the plate...

I only need the plate to run the gear box, if they don't get the gears correct, I'll have a useless plate too..

<°)))>{

Offline Fishy167

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #45 on: Jan 15, 2017, 11:04 AM »
Has anyone heard back from Clam? Got the run around from them stating they never received my warranty request email. Never got as far as them claiming this "two weeks" to replace the gear box.

Offline Jtemp

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #46 on: Jan 20, 2017, 09:46 AM »
just sent out another email to see if there is any updates.

Offline Jtemp

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #47 on: Jan 20, 2017, 01:05 PM »
just wanted to send another update Clam responded to an email about an hour ago, they are still having issues and were looking at another 2 weeks.. or more

Offline Ice Scratcher

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #48 on: Jan 20, 2017, 01:15 PM »
just wanted to send another update Clam responded to an email about an hour ago, they are still having issues and were looking at another 2 weeks.. or more

Why don't they send out the ones that worked for them.. The one I bought said it had an aluminum housing, and they reported so many inches with 8" and 9" bits, when they tested them..

Wonder what happened to those gear boxes?

<°)))>{

Offline Jtemp

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #49 on: Jan 20, 2017, 01:19 PM »
Why don't they send out the ones that worked for them.. The one I bought said it had an aluminum housing, and they reported so many inches with 8" and 9" bits, when they tested them..

Wonder what happened to those gear boxes?

<°)))>{

"Good afternoon James,

Thanks for checking back with us. We are still testing our gearboxes. We unfortunately ran into a few more problems while updating them and it’s taken longer than we had hoped. We are still looking at about 2 weeks before we will be able to ship the updated gearboxes. I apologize again for the inconvenience and thank you for your continued patience.

Sincerely,"

Offline Jtemp

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #50 on: Jan 20, 2017, 01:21 PM »
didn't know any of them had aluminum housings. mine is some form of black plastic.

Offline Ice Scratcher

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #51 on: Jan 20, 2017, 01:27 PM »
didn't know any of them had aluminum housings. mine is some form of black plastic.

When they first advertised them they said a durable aluminum housing, black in color...

A quote from my other thread..

This is what I ordered...

(Image removed from quote.)

This is what I got...

Besides looking and designed different...

THE HOUSING IS PLASTIC!!!  >:(

Now I have to take it apart because if the gears are plastic it's getting returned in pieces..

Isn't bait and switch illegal?

Feeling ripped off at the moment...

<°)))>{

Offline Ice Scratcher

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #52 on: Jan 20, 2017, 01:30 PM »
My testing indicated you only get 4 inches of ice running an 8" auger, ONCE, then junk..

<°)))>{

Offline Jtemp

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #53 on: Jan 20, 2017, 01:35 PM »
My testing indicated you only get 4 inches of ice running an 8" auger, ONCE, then junk..

<°)))>{

HAHA yea same experience in my beta test, made one hole with a 6" and halfway thru the second hole. 

Offline Jtemp

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #54 on: Jan 20, 2017, 01:47 PM »
out of curiosity did you open the case up?

Offline Ice Scratcher

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #55 on: Jan 20, 2017, 01:53 PM »
out of curiosity did you open the case up?

Before using it, yes, I even put some grease on the gears which looked pretty dry...

<°)))>{

Offline HuskerTRX

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #56 on: Jan 20, 2017, 04:39 PM »
Just curious on what gear broke in your guys boxes? I had my input shaft (the gear that's connected to the drill )  break on Dec 22nd at the end of my 7th hole.

Offline piscesman

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #57 on: Jan 20, 2017, 06:53 PM »
      Hello James,
Sorry for the inconvenience but as you can see we got caught RED HANDED... We knew these were defective when we sent them out but made a fortune having them made by blankity, blankity, blank. We are currently in damage control, please forward your concerns to this number which is switched to ARUBA!!!!!!! Thanks for the moolya..... As always, this message will self distruct in 5 seconds........ I hope, as this was outsourced too......... Have a Nice Day.
     Kim :tipup: :icefish:

:cookoo: :cookoo: :cookoo: :cookoo: :%$#!: :%$#!: :%$#!: :%$#!:
"To have and to hold till death do us part" really refers to a man and his ICE FISHING EQUIPMENT!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Offline Shack man Shoney

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #58 on: Jan 22, 2017, 06:20 AM »
"Good afternoon James,

Thanks for checking back with us. We are still testing our gearboxes. We unfortunately ran into a few more problems while updating them and it’s taken longer than we had hoped. We are still looking at about 2 weeks before we will be able to ship the updated gearboxes. I apologize again for the inconvenience and thank you for your continued patience.

Sincerely,"

Wow!!! and in the beginning of this trainwreck they claimed it was only a few hundred gear boxes. They were actually all junk if they are still running into "a few more problems". This is a serious disappointment, i love my first gen Clam plate but I would be severely torqued off if I was getting this bad of a run around on the gearbox. Sad thing is that this whole debacle is FRAUD plain and simple. If it was me, I would demand a full refund plus shipping in the next email and if they don't issue a complete refund, It would be time to talk to an attorney. Good luck to all you guys i hope they resolve this soon....

Offline 3300

• Team IceShantyholic
  • Michigan Moderator.Not affiliated with MarCum Tech
« Reply #59 on: Jan 22, 2017, 10:23 AM »
i am not surprised at all.

i rode the clam train and it derailed before they got too much of my hard earned money.

funny how none of their pro's are here to discuss it with us.

good luck clam plate gear box owners, i feel for ya.

the good news, there is no need for the plate nor the gear box with this weather.

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.