The ice fishing Wisconsin boards are sponsored by:

Author Topic: Chequamegon Bay  (Read 1911 times)

Offline bjacks50

• IceShanty Rookie
Chequamegon Bay
« on: Dec 15, 2016, 10:11 AM »
I absolutely love eating whitefish and would like to try and catch some this year, however I am limited to foot travel only. Is it feasible or will I be wasting my time?

Offline Amos

• IceShanty Rookie
  • Always looking for new fishing experiences.
Re: Chequamegon Bay
« Reply #1 on: Dec 17, 2016, 08:40 PM »
A friend and I are going to the bay late February to try and catch whatever we can with Guide Josh Teigen.  We are hoping to catch some trout and salmon, but would love to get some whitefish too.  If you would like to join us, the trip is $450.00 for the day.  We could split the fee 3 ways.  He seems to do well catching all the different species there.  You can research him on youtube.  I have no experience regarding structure there, but have fished Green Bay for whitefish.  We've caught them in as little as 12 feet of water.  Not sure what kind of hike that would be for you. 

Offline eriksat1

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • N.W. Wisconsin Goat
« Reply #2 on: Dec 18, 2016, 08:04 AM »
Going out on those big lakes by foot is way to much work, you need someone with a 4 wheeler atv.

Offline gutshot_again

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #3 on: Dec 18, 2016, 09:01 AM »
 I've not fished Chequamegon Bay for whitefish. With that said, I have fished Green Bay for for whitefish.  There's a  number of spots on Green Bay that you can walk out and catch a limit.  Just look at the eastern side of the bay from Dyckesville (could maybe start further south, not sure) and go north. 

Keep in mind that late Jan or so you can usually drive your car out on Green Bay with plowed roads, if that would help you out any.

Also, check out the whitefish forum towards the bottom of the main forum page.  Lots of good stuff in there about fishing whitefish in WI.
That's my story and I'm sticking to it.

Offline bjacks50

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #4 on: Dec 19, 2016, 10:26 AM »
Going out on those big lakes by foot is way to much work, you need someone with a 4 wheeler atv.

That's exactly what I was afraid of! I think I have a buddy who a utv talked into going. I plan to pick up a snowmobile next year. I exceeded my yearly ice fishing budget already this year..lol.

A friend and I are going to the bay late February to try and catch whatever we can with Guide Josh Teigen.  We are hoping to catch some trout and salmon, but would love to get some whitefish too.  If you would like to join us, the trip is $450.00 for the day.  We could split the fee 3 ways.  He seems to do well catching all the different species there.  You can research him on youtube.  I have no experience regarding structure there, but have fished Green Bay for whitefish.  We've caught them in as little as 12 feet of water.  Not sure what kind of hike that would be for you. 

I am interested in joining you, let me check my schedule  (aka the wife's schedule..lol)

I've not fished Chequamegon Bay for whitefish. With that said, I have fished Green Bay for for whitefish.  There's a  number of spots on Green Bay that you can walk out and catch a limit.  Just look at the eastern side of the bay from Dyckesville (could maybe start further south, not sure) and go north. 

Keep in mind that late Jan or so you can usually drive your car out on Green Bay with plowed roads, if that would help you out any.

Also, check out the whitefish forum towards the bottom of the main forum page.  Lots of good stuff in there about fishing whitefish in WI.

Thx, I forgot about the species section of the forum, I'll check it out.

Offline reup

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #5 on: Dec 28, 2016, 11:48 AM »
A friend and I went out specifically for whitefish last year with Beyond the Catch guides out of Ashland. We fished out of Red Cliff landing, and caught about a dozen whitefish in 35 ft of water.First time using jigging rapalas for whitefish, but seemed to work well.
Compared to Green Bay. the whitefish are bigger, but less numerous.
Tom Gruenwald has an article on fishing Chequamegon Bay for whitefish with In Fisherman.

Good Luck

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.