Mobile Site Follow Iceshanty at Twitter Iceshanty Facebook Page Iceshanty Youtube Channel

Home | ThinIce | Chat | Pictures | Archives | ProShop | Militia | Sponsors
Iceshanty.com sponsored in part by:
FishUSA | Marcum | Fish307 | KTP | Cabelas | CJS | PolarBird | AcmeTackle
Sep 26, 2017, 11:27 AM
Enter the iceshanty Ice Fishing Picture Contest. Win a Jawjacker, Custom Jigs and Spins lures and Team Iceshanty ball cap!
Click here to enter

Author Topic: Y bone removal  (Read 2068 times)

Doubles Shooter

• Team IceShanty Maniac

Re: Y bone removal
« Reply #20 on: Feb 17, 2017, 04:16 AM »
I prefer 32-33" and up. They have started to bulk up and get chunky. More meat per inch and easier to fillet.

Spider1

• Team IceShanty Maniac

« Reply #21 on: Feb 17, 2017, 05:03 AM »
Chris, I usually don't keep pickerel unless they are at least 20". The smaller pic's are tougher to get the y-bones because the fish tend to be smaller and skinnier and my old eyes just don't see the bones in those small fish like they used to but if I'm planning on grinding them anyway, I might get tempted.

CowDawg

• IceShanty Rookie

« Reply #22 on: Feb 17, 2017, 08:55 AM »
I for one am going to eat more pike this year too...  Been watching all those you-tube videos... Plenty good ones on there to watch and learn filleting techniques for those stubborn bones.
Had pike several years ago, a buddy made it.. They are very tasty!

hardwater diehard

• Team IceShantyholic

« Reply #23 on: Feb 17, 2017, 10:18 AM »
Could just fillet the tail portion(s) and Below the lateral line(s),using the zipper method, for no Y bones then prepare as you please . As for the Y bone portions(s) you could save them until enough to make a batch of Pickled Pike/Pickerel . Seen where some are recommending freezing for 30 days prior to pickling process to kill off the parasites .
Give a man a fish he eats for a day .Teach a man to ice fish he has an obsession for a lifetime   

Iceshanty.com sponsored in part by:
FishUSA | Marcum | Fish307 | Cabelas | CJS | PolarBird AcmeTackle
Home | ThinIce | Chat | Pictures | Archives | ProShop | GearShop | Militia | Sponsors

Ice Fishing @ www.iceshanty.com Fishing @ www.myfishfinder.com Hunting @ www.myhuntingforum.com

Contact | Sponsor IceShanty.com | Disclaimer
©1996- IceShanty.com
All Rights Reserved