Author Topic: Bent Ice Anchors  (Read 1640 times)

Offline RStock521

• Team IceShanty Maniac
Bent Ice Anchors
« on: Dec 14, 2016, 08:02 AM »
I used my new Otter XTH Resort hub last year for exactly 1 day.  It was a little windy, but nothing crazy.  I had 3 or 4 of my ice anchors bend from not screwing them in all the way.  Is this my fault or should I ask for replacement?  It didn't take much to bend them, but wasn't sure if this was me just being a newbie with a hub shelter and I need to make sure to screw them all the way in?  Thanks!

Offline DR.SPECKLER

• Team IceShantyholic
  • find your own fish..
Re: Bent Ice Anchors
« Reply #1 on: Dec 14, 2016, 08:25 AM »
only time mine bent was from not screwing them in all the way.when I was in a hurry.probably your fault but i think the company would stand by their product.i would get a set of eskimo ice screws they go in so easy/better quality compared to other brands.

Offline Chris338378

• Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #2 on: Dec 14, 2016, 09:00 AM »
They need to be screwed in all the way so it reduces the sudden jerking on them when the wind kicks up and hits the side of the shelter, basically if you don't screw them all the way in when the wind hit it's like hitting the anchor with a hammer. 

Offline RStock521

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #3 on: Dec 14, 2016, 10:06 AM »
Sounds good, sounds like my fault then.  Lesson learned haha  Thanks guys!

Offline Ice Scratcher

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #4 on: Dec 14, 2016, 10:14 AM »
I always run my anchors at an angle so the strap gets pulled down low toward the ice.. It's way stronger in every way to keep your attachment to the anchor as low as possible..

<°)))>{

Offline Chris338378

• Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #5 on: Dec 14, 2016, 08:55 PM »
I only used the tie down ropes once because the knots kept sliding and putting slack in the rope and now all I use is ratchet straps, they stay in place until I take them down.

Offline RStock521

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #6 on: Jan 26, 2017, 09:10 PM »
Sent an email to Otter with pics of my bent anchors, and they sent me a few new ones to replace them.  Thanks Otter!

Offline NHGunowner

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #7 on: Jan 27, 2017, 05:07 AM »
I don't think there is any business segment that takes care of their customers quite like ice fishing.
More often that not, these guys step up.
I've had a personal experience with Marcum, replaced an electronic item, no questions asked.
I've heard the same from Vex as well.
Add Otter to that list, good for you/ them!

Offline RStock521

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #8 on: Jan 27, 2017, 08:01 AM »
I don't think there is any business segment that takes care of their customers quite like ice fishing.
I've had a personal experience with Marcum, replaced an electronic item, no questions asked.

Yup, you get what you pay for. I think great customer service should be baked into premium-priced products.  I'd say that the bent anchors were probably due to user error, but I now know that you need to screw them ALL the way into the ice, otherwise, you end up with a bent one.  :-\

I bought all new Otter gear last year (XTH Resort, Pro Sled, Hyfax, cover, towbar) and have literally used it twice due to the warm winters.  Still glad I got the good stuff, it should last me many years!  Buy nice, not twice!

Offline 3300

• Team IceShantyholic
  • Michigan Moderator.Not affiliated with MarCum Tech
« Reply #9 on: Jan 27, 2017, 09:22 AM »
if you need good anchors, check out gander mountains 6 pack in a pouch for 30$. they are eskimo version and those retail for 7.50$ each sold in packs of two. so you get the pouch and save 2.50$ each this way. you can use eskimos anchor driver to make sure they go all of the way in faster and back out fast. i like them. i did have one tip break off from tipping it while getting it started.

you can add ridgid and striker and shappell to that list!

Offline Bigwalleye30

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #10 on: Jan 30, 2017, 01:54 PM »
Best ice anchors I've found are actual ice screws used for ice climbing.  Cost more but go in like butter and are as sturdy as you can get.  Going on 5 years with mine and haven't had a problem.   When they go on sale you can get them for around $25 a piece for the better ones. 

Offline NHGunowner

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #11 on: Feb 02, 2017, 05:41 AM »
I found myself thinking about other situations where a company went above and beyond.
For the ammo reloading guys, I had just bought my first press, an RCBS.
I'm putting it together for the first time and realize I'm missing a part, a simple/ small little control rod, essential for operation. I call RCBS and the lady says, "we'll rush one to you" within 2 days, I received TWO in different shipments, to ensure it arrived!
Several years later, I break a decap pin, probably my fault. I call and 2 days later I have an envelope with SIX of them! A die set comes with one, my future grandkids won't need to order any.
Also my Milwaukee drill, had an issue with the trigger.
I called then brought it to a service/dealer. There was an updated trigger, that required a new housing/motor/ basically a whole new drill. Did the job right in front of me while I hung out in his shop. Excellent service.
That was:
MERRIMAC INDUSTRIAL SALES INC
111 NECK RD
HAVERHILL, MA 01835
978 372-6006

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.