Author Topic: best deal on tipups for newbie  (Read 1881 times)

Offline Nosaj

• Team IceShanty Maniac
best deal on tipups for newbie
« on: Dec 13, 2016, 05:48 PM »
Whats the best deal out there for a newbie.  My brother wants to get set up for a couple bass/perch/pickerel trip per year with his son.  They will not get out often so they do not want to spend alot of money.  I still want to stear him away from traps that will fall apart after a couple years.  I was thinking about HT polars or something of the like.

Offline Old Goat

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShanty Maniac
Re: best deal on tipups for newbie
« Reply #1 on: Dec 13, 2016, 05:54 PM »
CL in WI has BD going for 27 or 28

Offline ActiveTrapChecker

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #2 on: Dec 13, 2016, 05:57 PM »
I picked up HT Polars when I started 5 years ago. They were perfect for a guy who gets out a handful of times a year. No issues with them to date

Offline Ramp 23

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #3 on: Dec 13, 2016, 07:35 PM »
Polars are a great tip up. Store them horizontal off season. Used them many seasons , re lube them before each season & they last .

Offline chilly-willy

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #4 on: Dec 13, 2016, 09:19 PM »
Basa pro has the frail thermals orange ones.. on sale for 14.97 and free shipping on any order right now.. or check places like mills fleet farm.com gandermTN.com  fishusa.com and so on..

Offline Curley

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Hardwater Nut!
« Reply #5 on: Dec 14, 2016, 05:55 PM »
I'm part and partial to the polar tip ups myself. Had Frabill's, Nice flag but the spool is a 2 piece POS. That being said my brother in law has used a set of 40 up's for years with little to no maintenance.  They are a simple stick design that just works. I think they even come pre spooled.

Offline DR.SPECKLER

• Team IceShantyholic
  • find your own fish..
« Reply #6 on: Dec 14, 2016, 06:01 PM »
a set of beaver dams are on the expensive side but will last a lifetime and can be handed down to the next generation.i have 35 year old bd tipups that my grandpa used and still work great.i also bought the new style jolly Rodgers bds.no wind flag or frozen tipups for me.ht are alright tipups.

Offline hardwater diehard

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceshantyInsanity
« Reply #7 on: Dec 14, 2016, 06:05 PM »
Plastic H style Polar tip ups will last for years and easy on the wallet .
Give a man a fish he eats for a day .Teach a man to ice fish he has an obsession for a lifetime

Offline Hando

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #8 on: Dec 14, 2016, 09:11 PM »
I also agree that HT polars are a great starting point. Pretty affordable, easy to use and durable. I still use my first Polar I got over 30 years ago.
"3/4 of the Earth's surface is water, and 1/4 is land. It is quite clear that the good Lord intended us to spend triple the amount of time fishing as taking care of the lawn."

Offline rambo51

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #9 on: Dec 14, 2016, 09:29 PM »
Can't go wrong with the polar tip ups, that's all I use and they get used a lot. No sense in spending $40 on a tip up on your first year of ice fishing.

~~~We Fish For The Fish That Eat The Fish You Fish For~~~
                    -MudbuM Boys

Offline chilly-willy

• Team IceShanty Maniac

Offline nhdeadhead

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #11 on: Dec 15, 2016, 07:30 AM »
I switched over to the HT Explorers H style trap and love them. 18 bucks at wally world...  just ditch/switch the line that comes on them and your good to go.

Offline Alex Delarge

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #12 on: Dec 15, 2016, 08:05 AM »
Polar tip ups.
It must be something in the water.

Offline ActiveTrapChecker

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #13 on: Dec 15, 2016, 08:10 AM »
Polars are a great tip up. Store them horizontal off season. Used them many seasons , re lube them before each season & they last .

Horizontal? I have traditionally stored them standing on end in a 5 gallon bucket. Is there a benefit to storing them horizontal?

Offline UFCreel

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #14 on: Dec 15, 2016, 08:35 AM »
Look for the older Beaver Dams on E-bay and Craig's list. They may cost a little more. But they last and last. That in and of itself. Makes the investment well worth it. Been running mine 35 years now.  ATC they wont leak if you store them on there sides.
Flags up! Bobbers down!

Offline Nosaj

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #15 on: Dec 15, 2016, 08:59 AM »
Thanks for all the feed back.

Offline Ramp 23

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #16 on: Dec 15, 2016, 03:59 PM »
lubrication wont run out or all go to one end of shaft tube in the off season ,if you store them horizontal

Chute82

« Reply #17 on: Dec 15, 2016, 04:39 PM »
Buy some beaver dams and just be done with it.  One time investment compared to multiple cheap items

Offline JustForTheHalibut

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #18 on: Dec 16, 2016, 11:33 AM »
Gotta go with maine traps! little more then the ht but either Jack traps(expensive but beautiful and very well build) or the Heritage traps! cant go wrong
you gotta hook em to cook em

Offline Kevin23

• Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #19 on: Dec 17, 2016, 01:44 PM »
Whats the best deal out there for a newbie.  My brother wants to get set up for a couple bass/perch/pickerel trip per year with his son.  They will not get out often so they do not want to spend alot of money.  I still want to stear him away from traps that will fall apart after a couple years.  I was thinking about HT polars or something of the like.

You are right on the money with that idea. HT polars.
EYECONICFISHING

Offline dbad

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #20 on: Dec 18, 2016, 07:21 PM »
Frabill Dawg Bones 7.99 @ Cabelas. Free shipping over $50.
"Throw back the little ones and pan fry the big ones use tact, poise and reason and gently squeeze them."   {Steely Dan}

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.