Author Topic: How DANGEROUS Is Ice Fishing?  (Read 11573 times)

Offline fishermantim

• Team IceShanty Maniac
Re: How DANGEROUS Is Ice Fishing?
« Reply #30 on: Dec 27, 2016, 01:05 PM »
Most of ice fishing related fatalities are accident related.
That's needs a little more explanation, since there are ATV and sled accidents, vehicle accidents, and simple falling accidents.
People going thru the ice usually comes down to two categories: lack of knowledge and lack of intelligence.

Lack of knowledge means you don't know the water and should do research before hitting the ice and more testing of the ice when you go.
Lack of intelligence means you chose to throw caution to the wind in order to be the first out, get to "your" spot first or see if you can really "walk on water". Basically take too many risks.

Then when it comes to vehicle accidents, the two most common factors are lack of knowledge and being "under the influence".
How many people try to take a short cut instead of following established trails across the ice?
How many people drink on the ice and still claim that "it doesn't affect them"?

I believe that in one New England state with lots of winter activity has at least on snowmobile fatality every year due to OUI while on the ice.
Usually someone partying too hard and decides to race their sled across the lake at night and ends up taking a "Davey Jones" swim.

Hate to sound so negative, but when you see so much stuff happen each and every year, it starts to have some affect.
That's why I NEVER drink when I fish, and I ALWAYS test the ice on first ice on familiar waters and first time on new waters.

I just don't want any surprises except those on the end of my line!

Be safe, be smart and have tons of fun!
"I'd rather have a bottle in front of me than a frontal lobotomy" - the Existential Blues

I am a legend in my own mind!

Offline GCD

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Arctic Armor, it's not just for ice fishing!!!
« Reply #31 on: Dec 27, 2016, 05:43 PM »
That's why I NEVER drink when I fish,

I agree completely, alcohol and fishing doesn't work for me. Hard or soft water.
Give a man a fish and you'll feed him for a day, give him a religion and he'll starve to death while praying for a fish... author unknown

Offline fishermantim

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #32 on: Dec 27, 2016, 11:46 PM »
I agree completely, alcohol and fishing doesn't work for me. Hard or soft water.

You never hear people discuss if they were drinking or how much thy drank when you see pics of fish hook accidents, but I'd be willing to bet that booze might have been involved. Why would anyone want to drink and then start throwing shark hooks around?
"I'd rather have a bottle in front of me than a frontal lobotomy" - the Existential Blues

I am a legend in my own mind!

Offline GCD

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Arctic Armor, it's not just for ice fishing!!!
« Reply #33 on: Dec 28, 2016, 06:27 PM »

You never hear people discuss if they were drinking or how much thy drank when you see pics of fish hook accidents, but I'd be willing to bet that booze might have been involved. Why would anyone want to drink and then start throwing shark hooks around?

I've had two fish hook accidents and booze was not a factor in either of them, if I drank while out on the water I'm sure it would be a lot more than two accidents.

Had my hook accidents happened while intoxicated, there wouldn't have been any need for the cussing that wove a tapestry of obscenities that hung over the lake for a fort night after the incident happened!!!
Give a man a fish and you'll feed him for a day, give him a religion and he'll starve to death while praying for a fish... author unknown

Offline Homejigger

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #34 on: Dec 29, 2016, 08:10 AM »
Always use a spud bar to tap your way out on new ice. Seeing people walking all over is not proof. Use the spud and prove to yourself that the ice is good where you are walking.

Offline Lobes

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Just Fishin'
« Reply #35 on: Dec 29, 2016, 03:55 PM »
Ice fishing is perfectly safe!
Safety becomes somewhat sketchy if you break through thin ice on your way out or on your way back ...

:tipup:
Lobes

Mecosta County / Lakeview, Michigan

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.