Mobile Site Follow Iceshanty at Twitter Iceshanty Facebook Page Iceshanty Youtube Channel

Home | ThinIce | Chat | Pictures | Archives | ProShop | Militia | Sponsors
Iceshanty.com sponsored in part by:
FishUSA | Marcum | Fish307 | KTP | Cabelas | CJS | PolarBird | AcmeTackle
Sep 25, 2017, 09:05 PM
Support Iceshanty...
Get some great gear and forum goodies...
Join The Iceshanty Militia

Author Topic: How DANGEROUS Is Ice Fishing?  (Read 2580 times)

stripernut

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShanty Maniac

• Tight Lines!
Re: How DANGEROUS Is Ice Fishing?
« Reply #20 on: Dec 18, 2016, 10:08 AM »
Having safety equipment is important and knowing how to use it, but in the end what will save you is not panicking when you go through. If you end up in the water all the equipment in the world won't save you if you panic...

Mr.Seaguar

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShanty Maniac

« Reply #21 on: Dec 18, 2016, 10:45 AM »
Aren't people supposed to die when they do something stupid?
Every plastics manufacturer claims plastics outfish livebait. So now I use livebait just for the increased challenge.

bearnoob

• Team IceShanty Regular

« Reply #22 on: Dec 18, 2016, 10:47 AM »
Life jacket under the parka or on top?

Fishrmn

• Team IceShanty Addict

• Prayin' for sub-zero temps.
« Reply #23 on: Dec 18, 2016, 10:52 AM »
That's how all lakes are...

Ice is always thin near the edge.

If I judged a whole lake by the shore ice, I might never fish..

<)))>{

I must live on a different planet than you.  I've always seen ice form against the shore first.  If the water level changes after a lake or reservoir has capped, then the ice is thinner near the shore.  I've often seen open water near the middle of a lake or reservoir when I'm standing on as much as 8 or 10 inches of ice.

<{{{{{ >
Fishrmn

"I tolerate with the utmost latitude the right of others to differ from me in opinion." Thomas Jefferson

Ice Scratcher

• Team IceShanty Maniac

« Reply #24 on: Dec 18, 2016, 11:20 AM »
I must live on a different planet than you.  I've always seen ice form against the shore first.  If the water level changes after a lake or reservoir has capped, then the ice is thinner near the shore.  I've often seen open water near the middle of a lake or reservoir when I'm standing on as much as 8 or 10 inches of ice.

<{{{{{ >

Ice is always thinner near shore because it's closest to the warmer ground..

Also it's awfully hard to get 12 inches of ice in 6 inches of water..

Point made..

<)))>{

Fishrmn

• Team IceShanty Addict

« Reply #25 on: Dec 18, 2016, 11:49 AM »
Ice is always thinner near shore because it's closest to the warmer ground..

Also it's awfully hard to get 12 inches of ice in 6 inches of water..

Point made..

<)))>{

And of course the ground is warmer.....  Always is right?
Dull point, dude. 

<{{{{{ >
Fishrmn

"I tolerate with the utmost latitude the right of others to differ from me in opinion." Thomas Jefferson

Ice Scratcher

• Team IceShanty Maniac

« Reply #26 on: Dec 18, 2016, 11:53 AM »
Many have used planks, to get from the shore out to better ice..

<)))>{

bullpine

• Team IceShanty Regular

« Reply #27 on: Dec 18, 2016, 12:01 PM »
Many have used planks, to get from the shore out to better ice..

<)))>{

I have a better bad idea.  Drive your snow mobile really fast onto ice.  ;D

Fishrmn

• Team IceShanty Addict

« Reply #28 on: Dec 18, 2016, 12:02 PM »
Yep.  And when lakes freeze, they freeze first near the shore, often with open water over the deepest parts.  As water levels change the conditions change.

Whenever anyone says something is always, or never a certain way, they are often mistaken.

<{{{{{ >
Fishrmn

GCD

• Team IceShanty Maniac

• Arctic Armor, it's not just for ice fishing!!!
« Reply #29 on: Dec 18, 2016, 02:59 PM »
It has been my experience that as winter takes hold with the weather getting colder the ground will freeze and ice will form at the shoreline and gradually freeze out to the middle of the lake (more noticeable on larger bodies of water). Then as winter fades and the weather warms up and the ground thaws the ice at the shoreline will melt first and leave large chunks of ice out in the middle.

Extra caution needs to be used when venturing away from shore early in the winter, and near shore late in the season... especially around rocky shorelines with steep drop-offs.

There are quite a few variables to consider when going ice fishing: temperature, wind, current, rising/falling water levels, underwater springs, early season, and late season to name a few. Your best bet is to use common sense and expect the unexpected. Be prepared for the worse case scenario.
Give a man a fish and you'll feed him for a day, give him a religion and he'll starve to death while praying for a fish... author unknown

fishermantim

• Team IceShanty Maniac

« Reply #30 on: Dec 27, 2016, 01:05 PM »
Most of ice fishing related fatalities are accident related.
That's needs a little more explanation, since there are ATV and sled accidents, vehicle accidents, and simple falling accidents.
People going thru the ice usually comes down to two categories: lack of knowledge and lack of intelligence.

Lack of knowledge means you don't know the water and should do research before hitting the ice and more testing of the ice when you go.
Lack of intelligence means you chose to throw caution to the wind in order to be the first out, get to "your" spot first or see if you can really "walk on water". Basically take too many risks.

Then when it comes to vehicle accidents, the two most common factors are lack of knowledge and being "under the influence".
How many people try to take a short cut instead of following established trails across the ice?
How many people drink on the ice and still claim that "it doesn't affect them"?

I believe that in one New England state with lots of winter activity has at least on snowmobile fatality every year due to OUI while on the ice.
Usually someone partying too hard and decides to race their sled across the lake at night and ends up taking a "Davey Jones" swim.

Hate to sound so negative, but when you see so much stuff happen each and every year, it starts to have some affect.
That's why I NEVER drink when I fish, and I ALWAYS test the ice on first ice on familiar waters and first time on new waters.

I just don't want any surprises except those on the end of my line!

Be safe, be smart and have tons of fun!
"I'd rather have a bottle in front of me than a frontal lobotomy" - the Existential Blues

I am a legend in my own mind!

GCD

• Team IceShanty Maniac

« Reply #31 on: Dec 27, 2016, 05:43 PM »
That's why I NEVER drink when I fish,

I agree completely, alcohol and fishing doesn't work for me. Hard or soft water.
Give a man a fish and you'll feed him for a day, give him a religion and he'll starve to death while praying for a fish... author unknown

fishermantim

• Team IceShanty Maniac

« Reply #32 on: Dec 27, 2016, 11:46 PM »
I agree completely, alcohol and fishing doesn't work for me. Hard or soft water.

You never hear people discuss if they were drinking or how much thy drank when you see pics of fish hook accidents, but I'd be willing to bet that booze might have been involved. Why would anyone want to drink and then start throwing shark hooks around?
"I'd rather have a bottle in front of me than a frontal lobotomy" - the Existential Blues

I am a legend in my own mind!

GCD

• Team IceShanty Maniac

« Reply #33 on: Dec 28, 2016, 06:27 PM »

You never hear people discuss if they were drinking or how much thy drank when you see pics of fish hook accidents, but I'd be willing to bet that booze might have been involved. Why would anyone want to drink and then start throwing shark hooks around?

I've had two fish hook accidents and booze was not a factor in either of them, if I drank while out on the water I'm sure it would be a lot more than two accidents.

Had my hook accidents happened while intoxicated, there wouldn't have been any need for the cussing that wove a tapestry of obscenities that hung over the lake for a fort night after the incident happened!!!

Homejigger

• IceShanty Rookie

« Reply #34 on: Dec 29, 2016, 08:10 AM »
Always use a spud bar to tap your way out on new ice. Seeing people walking all over is not proof. Use the spud and prove to yourself that the ice is good where you are walking.

Lobes

• Team IceShanty Maniac

• Just Fishin'
« Reply #35 on: Dec 29, 2016, 03:55 PM »
Ice fishing is perfectly safe!
Safety becomes somewhat sketchy if you break through thin ice on your way out or on your way back ...

:tipup:
Lobes

Mecosta County / Lakeview, Michigan

Iceshanty.com sponsored in part by:
FishUSA | Marcum | Fish307 | Cabelas | CJS | PolarBird AcmeTackle
Home | ThinIce | Chat | Pictures | Archives | ProShop | GearShop | Militia | Sponsors

Ice Fishing @ www.iceshanty.com Fishing @ www.myfishfinder.com Hunting @ www.myhuntingforum.com

Contact | Sponsor IceShanty.com | Disclaimer
©1996- IceShanty.com
All Rights Reserved