Author Topic: Push or Pull  (Read 3480 times)

Offline Open-Handed Fish Slap

• Team IceShanty Regular
Push or Pull
« on: Dec 13, 2016, 07:05 AM »
Looking to build a better equipped sled/box to harness and transport all of my gear, currently have a jet sled which I've modified but looking to make something more accommodating.  Not really looking to start a huge debate on type of ski's, pvc vs. aluminum, etc. etc. etc.  I know I'll get the usual "Smitty sled" , "x2 Smitty sled" , "x3 Smitty sled" , "I don't know if anyone mentioned it yet, but; Smitty sled".  I also have a quad but I don't like to take it all the time so I'm not looking for the suggestion that motorized transportation is easier.  Just want to know if you think a design geared towards pushing or pulling works better, maybe paired with some stories of experience and photos. Looking forward to hearing everyone's responses, thank you in advance.
It's like tailgating with the possibility of catching a fish!

Offline Agronomist_at_IA

• Team IceShantyholic
  • Team Iowa!
Re: Push or Pull
« Reply #1 on: Dec 13, 2016, 07:06 AM »
Looking to build a better equipped sled/box to harness and transport all of my gear, currently have a jet sled which I've modified but looking to make something more accommodating.  Not really looking to start a huge debate on type of ski's, pvc vs. aluminum, etc. etc. etc.  I know I'll get the usual "Smitty sled" , "x2 Smitty sled" , "x3 Smitty sled" , "I don't know if anyone mentioned it yet, but; Smitty sled".  I also have a quad but I don't like to take it all the time so I'm not looking for the suggestion that motorized transportation is easier.  Just want to know if you think a design geared towards pushing or pulling works better, maybe paired with some stories of experience and photos. Looking forward to hearing everyone's responses, thank you in advance.

I think pulling is easier.

Offline saskbucks

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #2 on: Dec 13, 2016, 07:13 AM »
Pulling is easier I think.  I have a sled from Cabela's that has places for 5 gallon pails.  It works for me. 
Get outside.  It does a body and mind good!

Offline Speeddmn

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #3 on: Dec 13, 2016, 09:58 AM »
I think it depends on the conditions, super hard pack snow or glare ice pushing might be better. Powder or slush, pulling might work best. I only mention this as last season I pulled on ice/hard pack and my sled kept smacking my in the legs as it was moving faster then I could walk.

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #4 on: Dec 13, 2016, 10:51 AM »
I think it depends on the conditions, super hard pack snow or glare ice pushing might be better. Powder or slush, pulling might work best. I only mention this as last season I pulled on ice/hard pack and my sled kept smacking my in the legs as it was moving faster then I could walk.

Good call, I can completely relate.  I guess I can build a sled that is capable of both , I just didn't want to waste my time building a whole push bar setup if it wasn't at all worth it. 

Offline Spider1

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #5 on: Dec 13, 2016, 11:09 AM »
There's a reason they say you don't put the cart before the horse... I don't really know what it is but I've heard it before, lol!

Offline Papa Sly

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #6 on: Dec 13, 2016, 03:53 PM »
Also easier pushing if down hill to get on ice, you can hold sled back easier. I like to have the option.
A bad day of ice fishing is better than any day at work!
http://i.imgur.com/dIEANML.jpg?1

Offline Chris338378

• Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #7 on: Dec 14, 2016, 09:06 AM »
Pulling is definitely easier.  What I did to make it easier on me is I got one of those deer drags and attached it to the rope on the Jet Sled that way the sled isn't pulling on my arms only, I'm using my body weight by leaning forward a bit. One thing to remember to do is before you go down a steep hill take the harness off, stand behind the sled, and use the harness to hold the sled back so it doesn't go flying down the hill.  Or you could just let it fly down the hill and let it go where ever it wants to.   ;D

Offline lefty2053

• Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #8 on: Dec 14, 2016, 10:09 AM »
As for going down a hill I always let the sled go first and I have long enough ropes I just flip them behind the sled and can still control it. As for traveling on Ice I pull the sled from one side. Never right behind me.
<===Lefty===

Offline Spider1

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #9 on: Dec 14, 2016, 10:25 AM »
Or you could just let it fly down the hill and let it go where ever it wants to.

that's pretty much what I do. Sometimes I gotta pull myself out of the snow if I'm not fast enough! ;D

Offline 3300

• Team IceShantyholic
  • Michigan Moderator.Not affiliated with MarCum Tech
« Reply #10 on: Dec 14, 2016, 10:39 AM »
some one here made his a push system and said it was easier.
then you might think of a wheelbarrow not being pulled much or a dog sled not being pushed or hand pulling a stuck car from a ditch or pulling a shopping cart thru a store.

all i know is to use a longer rope than what comes with the sled so your not lifting the front of the sled as much with each step. i would think pushing it would also push the nose down making it a harder pull, but maybe easier on the spine.

you might think manufactures may have figured this out for us and do not offer a conversion kit for a reason and only come with a rope and or hitch.

Offline Chris338378

• Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #11 on: Dec 14, 2016, 02:44 PM »

that's pretty much what I do. Sometimes I gotta pull myself out of the snow if I'm not fast enough! ;D

If the hill is steep enough you could always sit on it and enjoy the ride as long as you don't make an unexpected sudden stop along with way.   ;D

Offline nocod

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #12 on: Dec 15, 2016, 09:57 PM »
Great thread, I must start working on a kick sled real soon  ;)

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #13 on: Dec 16, 2016, 06:05 AM »
I think when I get a free minute I'll just try and make the Frankenstein of sleds.  Have a removable push bar, a removable tow bar, and a rope pull with attached harness.  My buddy uses a deer drag like you mentioned Chris.  I have an expired fall protection harness that I use with my JetSled but if you don't have access to those the deer pull is a fraction of the price.

Offline BlackDogAlpha

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #14 on: Dec 16, 2016, 10:59 AM »
I built a "Sled that shall not Be Named" and with a long enough rope you can tow or hill descend a lot safer than hanging on with one hand. I hauled with the harness also and thats rough in deep snow, it throws off your balance a lot when the trailer shortchains you. I just strap my jetsled on top of my STSNBN and call er good.

Offline Special

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • Old School
« Reply #15 on: Dec 25, 2016, 08:16 PM »
I wont go into depth but physics its easier to pull then push. Less energy.
No one left behind.     

Offline BlueDuck

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #16 on: Dec 25, 2016, 11:18 PM »
I pull.

Offline tyme2par4

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #17 on: Dec 27, 2016, 12:17 PM »
Pulling is usually easier. If you push, you have to push low, or you force the front end down into the snow.
I did find pushing easy yesterday. The pond was like a giant skating rink. I had my ice cleats on and just sat in the back of the sled and easily kicked myself along faster than I could walk.

Offline crappieslayer37

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #18 on: Dec 30, 2016, 09:42 PM »
What everyone else said plus if you push and you happen to hit thin ice and your gear is in front of you more than likely you get wet and lose all your gear.

Offline Unclegillhunter

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Ice So Nice
« Reply #19 on: Jan 24, 2017, 07:01 AM »
What everyone else said plus if you push and you happen to hit thin ice and your gear is in front of you more than likely you get wet and lose all your gear.
This is a really valid point, that didn't come to mind until I saw it posted!
Keep it safe! JDL

Offline JeJa

• IceShanty Rookie
  • Retired and loving it
« Reply #20 on: Jan 24, 2017, 09:51 AM »
I use a Rapala sled harness to pull my smitty sled. Easy on the back and shoulders. Allows me to use poles for walking. All you need to do if going downhill is pull the straps over the sled and walk behind.
Somedays its not worthwhile chewing thru the restraints

Offline hays47

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #21 on: Jan 29, 2017, 06:05 PM »
At first I thought little of the push method. Since I always pride myself on keeping an open mind. I decided to mount a push bar on my modified smitty type sled. Must say I was impressed but hastily add that only tried twice. Weather here in Ohio is just not co-operating for us ice fans.

I tried on frozen surface of my driveway and in the four inches of snow in my back yard. This was back in December. Loaded and unloaded it seemed to me less effort to push. I was expecting the opposite result. Also the push method was a lot easier to steer and control.

For right now I am leaving both methods attached for further experimenting. Let me add that I also use water skis instead of snow skis. The water skis seem to do a better job of keeping load on top of snow. Would like to experiment in 10-12 inches of snow to see if this holds true.
Echomap 94  Chirp with panoptix ps-22.
G.E.F.M

Offline jiignut

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #22 on: Jan 30, 2017, 09:32 AM »
I also leave my pull rope on. Theres a time, place and conditions for both.

Offline Kobey

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #23 on: Feb 16, 2017, 12:40 PM »
I was thinking this was a no brainer at first.  But after a couple of outings I'm doing some thinking.  I have a big Otter sled mounted to a Smitty-type setup and while I'm pulling, my son is pushing.  So now I'm thinking about adding a removable push bar so that whoever is in back doesn't have to bend down so much.  I was thinking about something like an old lawnmower handle.  What are other people using for push bars?

Offline Sprocket

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Personal Text
« Reply #24 on: Feb 16, 2017, 10:42 PM »
Jignut is correct - there are times and places for each - but I'll ad that it may be a 90/10 type rule - 90% of the time pulling is the way to go.  The other 10% would include controlling a downhill run (I just push the sled in front of me and control via pull rope) and the misc humps by the roadside.

Kobey - there's a pic in one of the sled threads where somebody used a lawnmower bush bar set up as well as a pull rope.  A member took the picture but it's not his sled.
Trust me, when the Zamboni driver says "You won't catch fish through that hole", he knows of what he speaks.

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.