Author Topic: 2017 Loughborough Laker watch  (Read 11578 times)

Offline Tylercurt

• Team IceShanty Regular
Re: 2017 Loughborough Laker watch
« Reply #60 on: Feb 04, 2017, 08:05 PM »

I was out yesterday for an hour, landed 2 and went home...lol  Ice was about 5 inches and fished in 90 fow.  Tube and a minnow worked great, lost the first one on the way up but dropped it back and he smacked it, first was about 3 lbs and second was about 4 lbs ( inhaled the tube and made a mess).  Wife wanted Trout, said don't come home without one, so I brought her 2....She cooked one for supper, really tasty unlike some of the clipped ones that are a little off.
Tim

Offline Fry Flier

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #61 on: Feb 04, 2017, 08:15 PM »
Ice was between 5-6 inches where I was.
May your tip-up spool while your flag raises with hopes of landing the big one.

Offline sig

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #62 on: Feb 05, 2017, 01:43 PM »
 I was out for a few hours this morning,  lots of people out well spread around in different spots,  I was in 86 feet 5 to 6 inches of good ice.  Didn`t mark anything until abour 10:30 but no takers. I busted a pole on my pop up shanty, I picked up a replacement at cdn tire and have already replaced it. ( the drive way markers are the same size ) about 6 bucks,  so a cheap repair. Had to leave due to no shelter and high winds and snow,  next time I`ll get em.

Cheers sig
[img width=218 height=80]http://i625.photobucket.com/albums/tt331/431-s

Offline elijah.adair

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #63 on: Feb 07, 2017, 07:29 PM »
Went out from Davidson's today for the first time... beauty ice.. 8 inches total with 6 being clear ice. Marked a few fish, including two that came up so fast on the flasher I barely saw them, can't believe I didn't hook up, damn think must've missed my bait or something lol.
Not gonna lie it was annoying fishing there because of the steep drop, flasher reads bottom at 80 but bait will drop at least 100 cuz your cone covers so many different depths.

Offline JZ

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #64 on: Feb 08, 2017, 08:43 AM »
Went out from Davidson's today for the first time... beauty ice.. 8 inches total with 6 being clear ice. Marked a few fish, including two that came up so fast on the flasher I barely saw them, can't believe I didn't hook up, damn think must've missed my bait or something lol.
Not gonna lie it was annoying fishing there because of the steep drop, flasher reads bottom at 80 but bait will drop at least 100 cuz your cone covers so many different depths.
Thanks for the update wonder what the hill is like today after the ice and rain. Yikes! You didn't have any issues with yesterday?
@jzuliniak

Offline Fry Flier

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #65 on: Feb 08, 2017, 10:44 AM »
Gettting down would be easy if you do not forget to turn at the bottom...any way we can get a skilift for that hill?

Offline elijah.adair

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #66 on: Feb 08, 2017, 02:36 PM »
didnt have an issue getting up yesterday, snow was a good consistancy for grip. but yea not sure about after the whole storm. I was fishing during the first wave of freezing rain and it was fine after that...

Offline dlees188

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #67 on: Feb 08, 2017, 07:39 PM »
I'm headed there tomorrow....I'll report how the hill is.  Notice if anyone had crossed to lake to the North Shore?

Offline Fry Flier

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #68 on: Feb 08, 2017, 07:53 PM »
Heading there tomorrow as well, thinking I will be to the SW of you at the Lobo Dr. boat ramp. If I end up at DAVIDSON later I will likely leave the Hut (Comando) in the car too much crap to pull up and down the hill.lol

Offline hearn

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #69 on: Feb 08, 2017, 08:04 PM »
Walked that hill in the fall and it was steep.

You guys fish the drop off? What depths you start at? Looks like it drops fast....

Offline Fry Flier

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #70 on: Feb 08, 2017, 08:31 PM »
It does drop fast 100 yds out you are in 70 - 90 ft. and another 25 to 30 yds you are in 100 -110 ft.

Offline Fry Flier

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #71 on: Feb 08, 2017, 08:40 PM »
I'm headed there tomorrow....I'll report how the hill is.  Notice if anyone had crossed to lake to the North Shore?
Threw the hand auger and tub sled along with instashak in car tonight just might see me over at DAVIDSON, hoping the 5-6 inches of ice did not grow to 20 + since the weekend...lol or I will be kicking self in the ass for leaving the power auger at home.

Offline Fry Flier

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #72 on: Feb 08, 2017, 09:12 PM »
A little flasher trick or two that I have used in the past that can work out well if you are able.
Since the ice is not too thick yet you can try too angle your transducer down the hole - I have found that in a lot of the steep drop areas that the transducer will hit bottom or farther down the slope. Only drawback is that the transducer does not pick up as much on the shallow side.

The other is that if your transducer is that of multiple cone degrees like my Vexler switch it to narrow beam. ie. mine is both 9 and 19 degree so I would set it to 9 degree cone.

Offline Fry Flier

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #73 on: Feb 09, 2017, 03:08 PM »
Went to DAVIDSON fished in 90 ft., result was one 9 pounder. Only one fishing there for the first hour or two, then a clam showed up mid morning with I think 2 people. Not sure how they did, did not go to visit the neighbors. Fish hit at 11:45 came up from the bottom to take my bait at 60 feet.

If someone here was the clam fisher I was in the black sub zero right in front of the beach. You were a 100 metres or so to my south in front of the cottages.

Offline dlees188

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #74 on: Feb 09, 2017, 03:17 PM »
Wasn't in the clam.... but my wife and I walked by you and went over to the north shore...didn't do too bad over there... no 9lbr's though ;)

Offline elijah.adair

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #75 on: Feb 09, 2017, 06:01 PM »
I came out for the last light... hooked two in about 120 FOW. Landed one of them, around 6 lber. Had a few that chased me so hard again the lines on the graph were together for like 40 feet... can't beleive they didnt result in a hook up... classic laker fishing lol

Offline Fry Flier

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #76 on: Feb 09, 2017, 08:29 PM »
Wasn't in the clam.... but my wife and I walked by you and went over to the north shore...didn't do too bad over there... no 9lbr's though ;)
there may have only been one in the clam then, I thought you were the one because you and your wife were talking when you went by me. I did not look out until 15 or 20 mins passed
by and thought you circled back. I did not see the clam set up but he / she left before me. You must be the owner maybe of the silver grey truck in the parking area if I left before you.

Offline Fry Flier

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #77 on: Feb 10, 2017, 12:34 PM »
Planning on going  back on Tues since working nights this weekend. Thinking D. Beach if you are around stop for a visit if you are so inclined. Picked up new tent last night  so I will not be in the Sub Zero I will be in the Eskimo I 3 it is a bit larger and quilted inside so warmer it should be. I will likely set up in the same area.
Gary (aka: Fry Flier)

Offline dlees188

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #78 on: Feb 11, 2017, 07:40 AM »
Yes, that was my grey truck.  Hey..... I work nights this weekend too...... good times..... NOT!....  Don't know if I'll be over there Tuesday or not but I'll look for a new Eskimo the next time I'm over there.

Offline newfisher9

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #79 on: Feb 15, 2017, 11:18 AM »
7 more days I can hardly wait.... just how steep is the hill by the beach? Usually go from the launch but may switch it up this time

Offline Fry Flier

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #80 on: Feb 15, 2017, 11:11 PM »
A bit steeper then the ramp and about 25 times longer.

Offline Countyboy93

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #81 on: Feb 16, 2017, 01:35 PM »
Hey guys I am new to the area, first year fishing the back lakes through the ice, im thinking about trying for lakers, how thick is the ice right now? also what are you guys using? thanks in advance!

Offline elijah.adair

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #82 on: Feb 16, 2017, 04:42 PM »
Hey CountyBoy... ice is safe right now... last time I was there I saw 8 inches everywhere at least. And I've caught fish on white tubes, white swimbaits, and vibratos mostly!

Offline newfisher9

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #83 on: Feb 19, 2017, 08:55 PM »
Slushy out there ?

Offline dlees188

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #84 on: Feb 21, 2017, 06:23 AM »
Should be bare, I'm heading there shortly, I'll report how it is, with the forcast I'm looking at this could be the last time to Loughborough for me this year  :(

Offline newfisher9

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #85 on: Feb 21, 2017, 09:19 AM »
Should be bare, I'm heading there shortly, I'll report how it is, with the forcast I'm looking at this could be the last time to Loughborough for me this year  :(

Thanks

Offline dlees188

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #86 on: Feb 21, 2017, 02:18 PM »
FIshed from 10-1:15 this morning.  Marked very few fish, and the ones that were marked were not that interested in our baits.  My wife hooked 3 and all 3 came unbuttoned a few cranks into the fight.  I didn't even have a bite.  Ice is bare, good travelling if you have ice cleats.  Hill is hard packed snow. 

Offline newfisher9

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #87 on: Feb 21, 2017, 08:54 PM »
How much ice would ya figure

Offline dlees188

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #88 on: Feb 22, 2017, 08:58 AM »
There's more ice along the south side. Further you go towards the north shore there's less....50 yards from the north shore there's 4-5",  6-7" in the middle, and 7-9" along south shore.  That's what I found anyways.

Offline elijah.adair

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #89 on: Feb 24, 2017, 06:25 PM »
Can anyone tell me what's up with the ice, I'm assuming not good but I'm planning to take a drive tomorrow armed with all the safety gear to hopefully drop the last line of the year...

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.