Author Topic: Time for the annual boot thread.....  (Read 2724 times)

Offline NNYIceangler

• Team IceShanty Addict
Time for the annual boot thread.....
« on: Dec 10, 2016, 10:11 AM »
So.....I need new boots.  My feet get cold fairly easily.  I went with muck Arctic pro extreme a couple years ago and I am pretty disappointed....my feet still get cold.  What are you all using for a cold weather boot.  I need something waterproof as well because ewe get lots of slush here.

Offline Raptortrapper

• Team IceShanty Addict
Re: Time for the annual boot thread.....
« Reply #1 on: Dec 10, 2016, 10:16 AM »
I use my Baffin boots from the oilfield.  I'm field supervisor, and we are required to wear a steel or composite toe.  The owner of the company bought me a pair of these 5 years ago, and although I'm not working in the field much any more, I still use the baffins when on the ice.  They are a bit heavy, but it doesn't bother me a bit for how warm I stay in them.  I had minor frostbite on my feet when I was a kid, so now if my feet get cold, they hurt.  Haven't had a single issue since I started using these baffins.  I added some tungsten screw in cleats, and they are PERFECT for ice fishing now!  I'm sure there are some lighter weight boots out there, but I seriously doubt any of them will keep me any warmer than these baffins, unless ya go with something electrically heated.

My second best are my Danners.  They are my insulated hunting boots, and they do GREAT as long as I'm moving around a little bit.  But if I sit down in my chair and smoke a cigar, my feet will start to get cold in them on days that are in the single digits.  Otherwise, they do perfectly fine!
The next time you think you know it all, try telling someone else's dog what to do.

Offline Caseman2

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #2 on: Dec 10, 2016, 10:30 AM »
What baffin do you have with steel toe?

I bought baffins in the off season for better than half off.

I bought
Baffin titans (for extreme cold) made in canada.
Baffin snow monster ( I would say for medium use) not made in Canada ,but look good....  time will tell.
And a pair for the wife. (Also medium use)

I got rid of
2 sets of the soros pack boots
And 2 pairs of worn out rockys

I bought baffins from all of the reviews off this site.

Offline Bout-Time

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #3 on: Dec 10, 2016, 10:35 AM »
So.....I need new boots.  My feet get cold fairly easily.  I went with muck Arctic pro extreme a couple years ago and I am pretty disappointed....my feet still get cold.  What are you all using for a cold weather boot.  I need something waterproof as well because ewe get lots of slush here.

I love my Lacrosse Aeroheads, they have been great for 3 years.

Warm (too warm really IMO), watertight, soft, high (18"), and very light.
"Many fish their entire lives without knowing that it is not fish they are after."-Henry David Thoreau

Offline NNYIceangler

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #4 on: Dec 10, 2016, 11:03 AM »
I have had Rocky's too and have been sorely disappointed with the quality of them.  I had a pair of rocky duty boots to wear around the engine house at work as well and they fell apart in a few months.

Offline ice dawg

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShantyholic
  • Tawny-"Ice Pooch"
« Reply #5 on: Dec 10, 2016, 12:05 PM »
I have two pairs of boots rated for around100 below and my toes still get cold. I noticed Reed's has rechargeable insoles for sale that have remote control. I figure that would make any pair of boots warm. Probably about half the price of new boots too.
It seems to go from zero to hero all some have to do is lie.

Offline Fisherman 1

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Fish..the other white meat
« Reply #6 on: Dec 10, 2016, 06:44 PM »
I use the disposable stick on heat pads on the bottom of the socks, good for at least 8 hours.   If I come home early I slide one down the front of my wifes pants,  man does she jump.

Offline missoulafish

• Team IceShantyholic
  • TēM HîPē FÿSh
« Reply #7 on: Dec 10, 2016, 07:37 PM »
The time for the annual boot thread started about a month ago and your 20th in line now 😜

Offline mvanhank222

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #8 on: Dec 10, 2016, 07:55 PM »
Baffin trappers

Offline NNYIceangler

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #9 on: Dec 10, 2016, 08:16 PM »
The time for the annual boot thread started about a month ago and your 20th in line now 😜

Been busy deer hunting....remodeling a bathroom and doing fall chores.  Just put the skeeter to bed yesterday so time to think of hard water given the forecast.

Offline missoulafish

• Team IceShantyholic
  • TēM HîPē FÿSh
« Reply #10 on: Dec 10, 2016, 08:46 PM »
Yes Sir!! Good luck this season!!!  :icefish:

Offline BlueDuck

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #11 on: Dec 11, 2016, 09:22 AM »
I have always had good luck with my Steiger Mukluks.   Light weight and your feet flex way better then a hard soled boot.

Offline Chris338378

• Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #12 on: Dec 11, 2016, 11:53 AM »
One of the warmest boots I've ever worn is the white Mickey Mouse boots, they're so warm that most of the time I have to leave them untied so some of the warmth can vent off.  Also they're 100% waterproof because they're all rubber.  If you think these are going to be too warm you can go with the black Mickey Mouse boots. 

Offline UFCreel

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #13 on: Dec 11, 2016, 12:02 PM »
It is getting tougher and tougher to find the white mickeys online nowadays. Especially at a good price.
Flags up! Bobbers down!

Offline Chris338378

• Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #14 on: Dec 11, 2016, 12:15 PM »
Here's two place that sell them, they might not have the best prices but they have new and used ones and lots of different sizes most of the time:

http://www.mickeymouseboots.com/

https://colemans.com/shop/boots-and-footwear/u-s-g-i-extreme-cold-temperature-boots-white-unissued/

Here's Coleman's main page for cold weather gear:

https://colemans.com/product-category/cold-weather-gear/

Offline Woodsman

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #15 on: Dec 11, 2016, 02:48 PM »
CKX Muk Lite by Nat's.
Up to -118 °F / -85°C comfort rating.
Just over $100 (Can).
Very light weight but extremely warm.

Living proof that "beer builds better bellies"

Offline eyeball15

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #16 on: Dec 11, 2016, 05:25 PM »
Can't beat the mickey mouse boots, feet never get cold. Just wish they were little lighter..

Offline RyanW

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #17 on: Dec 12, 2016, 10:13 PM »
Sock selection and boot fit can make significant changes in warmth...just throwing that you out there.

I wear size 14 (my regular shoe size) muck Arctic pros with a heavy weight 90% wool sock and a lightweight liner. Plenty of breathing room. The wool keeps my feet warm and the liner's keep my feet dry.
“When the fish are biting, it really doesn’t matter what you’re using. When the fish aren’t biting, it really doesn’t matter what you’re using” - Uncle Dave

Offline chilly-willy

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #18 on: Dec 12, 2016, 10:21 PM »
I have Kamiks ice crushers and feet sweat in those so I decided to try cabelas snow runner pac boots..  I hope I did not go to light on insulation their only 400 gram insulated were similar  others are 1200 and 2000 gram insulated. .  but the cool thing about the cabelas boots  their built like waders and are breatheable so sweat and moisture go threw a membrane in the boot..  so your feet stay drier and not get cold from being wet.. but will see how these work out this year will keep you guys informed on what there like next year.. along with through out the season ..

Offline Open-Handed Fish Slap

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #19 on: Dec 13, 2016, 07:46 AM »
I have the Rocky Core 1000g Rubber Insulated Boot and I absolutely loves those things.  My feet used to always get cold, I've had a few different brands of boots in the past rated at higher gram insulation and never kept my feet as warm.  This is my second pair from Rocky.  I had 400g hiking boot style for when I used to work construction, I worked all through the winter, any kind of weather you could imagine, put those through hell and they were great.  On another note, I have many friends who have the mickey's and those things seem legit, not to mention the fact that you can get them dirt cheap at a surplus store or on ebay. 
It's like tailgating with the possibility of catching a fish!

Offline NNYIceangler

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #20 on: Dec 13, 2016, 08:56 AM »
I checked out the Baffin's yesterday when I was out christmas shopping......how durable are they?  They seem like they woukd be super warm just wondering about longevity.

Offline RuttNutt

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #21 on: Dec 13, 2016, 11:40 AM »
I got a pair of 1800 gr Lacrosse Pac Boots years ago and found they were too warm for anything but ice-fishing. I had gotten them originally for late season hunting, but they're just too dang warm! I don't even wear heavy wool socks with them. DOn't use them until the temps drop below 20.

Looks like they don't even make them anymore. But cabela's makes something comparable.
Where's the FISH?!

Offline 3274mike

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #22 on: Dec 18, 2016, 07:00 PM »
Cabelas inferno are nice 2000 grams and haven't got them yet but ordered sportman guide has a boot that is 2400 grams thinsulate

Offline Pike Paralyzer

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #23 on: Dec 18, 2016, 08:36 PM »
Ive had cabelas predator extremes for over 10 years and they are still like new.  I really like the looks of the baffin apex, but ive had such good luck with my predators it will be hard to switch when the time comes...
Sometimes ya gotta push the sheep through the fence

Offline bugchazer

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #24 on: Dec 18, 2016, 08:45 PM »
Baffin apex are great , warm toes in 0 degree weather. Big and clumsy only for ice fishing. Should last forever :tipup:

Offline taxi1

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #25 on: Dec 18, 2016, 08:48 PM »
One of the warmest boots I've ever worn is the white Mickey Mouse boots, they're so warm that most of the time I have to leave them untied so some of the warmth can vent off.  Also they're 100% waterproof because they're all rubber.  If you think these are going to be too warm you can go with the black Mickey Mouse boots.

Ditto! Was initiated into them in the Air National Guard and have never found anything warmer. I've worn them without socks and I've even got water in them and my feet warmed up the water!
I live in the midwest now but have fond memories of fishing in New England as a kid.

Offline taxi1

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #26 on: Dec 18, 2016, 08:49 PM »
It is getting tougher and tougher to find the white mickeys online nowadays. Especially at a good price.

And be wary of knock offs.
I live in the midwest now but have fond memories of fishing in New England as a kid.

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.