Author Topic: A new though on pike leaders  (Read 4711 times)

Offline BIG FOOT

• IceShanty Rookie
  • caching fish, one jig at a time
A new though on pike leaders
« on: Dec 09, 2016, 10:31 AM »
So this is what I was thinking and starting to see with the leader debates could it that it's not about how many pounds it is as to on the dial?
   The reason why I think this is the small leaders can get further down in the teeth and the bigger ones rides more on the top of the tenth and the mid range is in the middle some of the time it goes over the teeth and if thay have too big if a gap in the teeth it breaks.

Offline missoulafish

• Team IceShantyholic
  • TēM HîPē FÿSh
Re: A new though on pike leaders
« Reply #1 on: Dec 09, 2016, 10:52 AM »
is the entire tooth sharp or just "parts" of it?

Offline jimyoumook

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #2 on: Dec 09, 2016, 12:15 PM »
the whole tooth is sharp

Offline deadsmelthead

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Length 47 3/4 " Girth 24" NY Northern Pike
« Reply #3 on: Dec 10, 2016, 09:44 AM »
Its all in the hookset.. If you wait to long they inhale the leader.. Im not debating this , im stating it.. Of the hundreds of pike ive pulled through the ice i can say 99 percent of them are hooked in the corner of the jaw.. Get to the trap fast and set the hook when the spool is still turning.. Just go to my youtube chanel and see.. I waste no time setting the hook..
TeamNumbnutts on youtube ... Subscribe !
https://m.youtube.com/results?q=teamnumbnutts&sm=3

Offline northernnyice

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #4 on: Dec 12, 2016, 04:51 PM »
Its all in the hookset.. If you wait to long they inhale the leader.. Im not debating this , im stating it.. Of the hundreds of pike ive pulled through the ice i can say 99 percent of them are hooked in the corner of the jaw.. Get to the trap fast and set the hook when the spool is still turning.. Just go to my youtube chanel and see.. I waste no time setting the hook..

We disagree on many things but this we agree on. Get to the tip up, get the hook set. 9/10 will be easily removed sometimes without even using tools.

Offline deadsmelthead

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #5 on: Dec 12, 2016, 07:08 PM »
We disagree on many things but this we agree on. Get to the tip up, get the hook set. 9/10 will be easily removed sometimes without even using tools.
LOL... But yeah, you remove the teeth from the equation...Bottom line if you're gut hooking fish you are waiting to long to set the hook.

Offline Pike Paralyzer

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #6 on: Dec 12, 2016, 11:19 PM »
You guys using quick strike rigs? How big of bait are you using when setting the hook so fast?  I generally like to see a run stop run sequence.
Sometimes ya gotta push the sheep through the fence

Offline stripernut

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Tight Lines!
« Reply #7 on: Dec 13, 2016, 04:27 AM »
I use Quick strike rigs for everything but trout and I set the hook as soon as I feel the fish on the line...

Offline deadsmelthead

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #8 on: Dec 13, 2016, 06:56 AM »
You guys using quick strike rigs? How big of bait are you using when setting the hook so fast?  I generally like to see a run stop run sequence.
i use 1 treble #4, sometimes 6  with large goldens,perch, suckers whatever...I keep the treble close to the tail in my bait..

Offline Pike Paralyzer

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #9 on: Dec 13, 2016, 04:31 PM »
i use 1 treble #4, sometimes 6  with large goldens,perch, suckers whatever...I keep the treble close to the tail in my bait..

Sounds identical to my setup. I run 40# crimped seagur flouro leaders with a 6. I run a small uncrimped lead egg sinker above my barrel swivel. I've had 50/50 success on setting the hook right away. Maybe it's just a dink pike grabbing the bait by the head when I miss. For all the pigs the great sac holds, it holds twice as many dinks.

Offline deadsmelthead

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #10 on: Dec 13, 2016, 05:26 PM »
Sounds identical to my setup. I run 40# crimped seagur flouro leaders with a 6. I run a small uncrimped lead egg sinker above my barrel swivel. I've had 50/50 success on setting the hook right away. Maybe it's just a dink pike grabbing the bait by the head when I miss. For all the pigs the great sac holds, it holds twice as many dinks.
I run a sliding weight as well.Mostly to prevent hang ups on the hole. I feel as though , like you said, when you miss fish its smaller ones, they can't engulf the bait so the hook is most likely on the outside.if you pay attention you will notice a lot of your smaller hamer handles that you catch will be hooked on the outside of their face for this reason..They thrash with the bait and hook themselves externaly..

Offline Pike Paralyzer

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #11 on: Dec 13, 2016, 06:48 PM »
Good point.  We started using the sliding egg sinker for lakers in 100+ ft of water.  Made sending the smelt (back when) to the bottom so easy and zero tangles..

Offline Knife2sharp

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #12 on: Jan 18, 2017, 02:30 PM »
Yeah, I notice when I set the hook when the spool is turning and there's nothing there, it was probably a small one and I just pulled the hooks out of the minnow.  I've been making my own quick strike rigs and instead of hooking the minnow in the back and mouth, I hook the single hook through the back of the minnow and the stinger hook with a treble through the stomach of the minnow with two of the three hooks on the treble.  This way the minnow hangs naturally and I miss far fewer fish. The only ones I miss are the times they grab it and drop it. I like fishing with shiners and when they grab them they typically lay flat in their mouth.
I don't post on IceShanty often, but when I do - #Legendary

Offline 1MOFISH

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • The ice is always safe are you in ???????????????
« Reply #13 on: Jan 18, 2017, 02:47 PM »
i like to set hook if fish is running with it, question on the run stop run do you ever pull minnow outta the pikes mouth? we get slammed then line is screaming then nothing usually don't wait long to reset line would pike drop minnow and pick it Back up?
GOD BLESS
mo
LOVE THE LORD YOUR GOD WITH ALL YOUR HEART AND SOUL AND STRENGTH and'LOVE THY NEiGHBOR AS THYSELF'   GOD

Offline deadsmelthead

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #14 on: Jan 19, 2017, 10:55 PM »
i like to set hook if fish is running with it, question on the run stop run do you ever pull minnow outta the pikes mouth? we get slammed then line is screaming then nothing usually don't wait long to reset line would pike drop minnow and pick it Back up?
GOD BLESS
mo
When you see that line burning off fast, its an average fish.. This has allways been my experience.. Bigger fish have a slow steady spin to them.. Ill add  i like dog bone, disc traps with the spinning trigger, you get a visual of whats happening while approaching the trap.. Pike will most definately drop bait and come back to it, ive found setting it higher after a drop will ussually result in a flag soon after.. Pike cruise and comb ..

Offline Hard_H2O

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #15 on: Jan 29, 2017, 04:02 PM »
When running non-treble hooks I like the stop then run then set the hook.

With my quick strike rigs I like them to stop then take up slack then set the hook.

It seems there are so many ways to put the hooks to them under a tip-up.

It works for me. I like to feel them on the line before setting the hook. I like to have the slack taken up so hopefully the hook is ready to bite when I set it.

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.