The ice fishing VT boards are sponsored by:

Author Topic: Marcum or vexilar  (Read 3805 times)

Offline perchkiller123

• Team IceShanty Regular
Marcum or vexilar
« on: Dec 09, 2016, 07:45 AM »
Hi guys im looking into buying a flasher. I have around 350-400$ to spend on it. Just wondering what you guys have and how you like it? thanks and tight lines

Offline stripernut

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Tight Lines!
Re: Marcum or vexilar
« Reply #1 on: Dec 09, 2016, 07:48 AM »
Have you yet read the many pages of post on this subject yet? Upper left hand corner of the page is the "search feature" you will find it very helpful...

Offline dickbaker

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #2 on: Dec 09, 2016, 11:11 AM »
Hi guys im looking into buying a flasher. I have around 350-400$ to spend on it. Just wondering what you guys have and how you like it? thanks and tight lines

Don't get frustrated.  We would love to talk about it again!   But we need to know what fish you will most likely be jigging for and probably a guess as to the average depth of water.   How often you fish would be good because it will relate to how much you should pay??
I have two Vexilars but I have fished with several Marcums.   They are both great and long lasting but some are way out of your price range?
Hope to hear from you again.
Dick

Offline 3300

• Team IceShantyholic
  • Michigan Moderator.Not affiliated with MarCum Tech
« Reply #3 on: Dec 09, 2016, 11:35 AM »
1st sonar ahy.
i recommend the showdown in a dual beam for your price range.
https://www.amazon.com/MarCum-Showdown-Digital-Sonar-System/dp/B0046LZCCU/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1481304043&sr=8-2&keywords=ShowDown+5.6+Dual+Beam+Digital+Sonar+System

they do make it in color, but it costs more.

for what it's worth, a flasher flashes light. not all sonars do that. digital sonars do not flash light, so they are not called flashers.

there is a ton of reading here for you already tho as mentioned.
try some youtube videos too to see them in action. it should help you decide what you think you will want instead of us.
if you have a boat or thinking about it and want a sonar for that and ice fishing, then look at the ones that do both and ideally one with a graph.

Offline Ice Scratcher

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #4 on: Dec 09, 2016, 11:47 AM »
Yeah, two types of sonar are...

Flashers- round display- instantaneous, real time display, no history

Graphs- Rectangular screen, More or less real time on one side of the screen with a trailing history moving off the other side. Graphs can also utilize base maps coordinated with GPS...

Good luck!!!

<°)))>{

Offline Bob_D

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • www.Fishingvermont.net
« Reply #5 on: Dec 09, 2016, 01:46 PM »
Do you have a boat as well? If so, the Humminbird Helix 5 is a good option. You can use it on the boat in the summer and on the ice in the winter. It has both flasher and graph capabilities. The Ice package is about $450, but you can get more use out of it

Offline tench

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #6 on: Dec 09, 2016, 06:36 PM »
I've got a basic Marcum, a friend has a basic Vexilar. We both catch fish. I drive a Chevy, a friend drives a Ford. We both get from point A to point B. Figure out what features you want to pay for and go from there. Both will work.

My VX-1 has a zoom feature and will work in water up to 120 feet deep I think. Interference adjustment is there but has never been a problem, and you can adjust the signal strength to anything you need. It works well but is far from top of the line. I just couldn't for the life of me justify spending $700+ on a flasher. I use this cheap one to catch everything from deep water lakers to schools of perch and smelt, to slab pumpkinseeds.
The charm of fishing is that it is the pursuit of what is elusive but attainable,
a perpetual series of occasions for hope.
~John Buchan

Offline Jimhenry

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #7 on: Dec 09, 2016, 08:15 PM »
Go with a Vexilar. Not sure on the price points but you could get a fl18 or 20 at a decent price.

Offline flagfishon

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • You should have seen it! It was huge!
« Reply #8 on: Dec 09, 2016, 10:29 PM »
I love my Marcum VX-1 Pro.  I couldn't imagine getting any more benefits from a more expensive unit....except when I'm fishing very shallow which only happens the first couple weeks when ice is thin.  When its shallow, less than 5 feet, and there are weeds, and a soft bottom, then its not much help.  But the other 100 days of fishing, its great!!

Offline shiveringjoe

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #9 on: Dec 10, 2016, 08:09 AM »
You should definitely try to get a unit that has bottom zoom, which should sneak just under your budget. Vexilars are the most durable, Marcum has nice features, hummingbirds have a really nice display but seem to have durability issues. I have an fl18 genz pack and those are online for under $400.

Offline Ice-n-Snow

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #10 on: Dec 10, 2016, 05:36 PM »
Love my Marcum vx-1.  All I need. 

Offline perchkiller123

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #11 on: Dec 10, 2016, 08:12 PM »
I will mostly be fishing in 5 to 120 feet. (yes I know that's not specific) but I fish perch crappie and occasional lake trout. Thinking about the showdown.

Offline dickbaker

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #12 on: Dec 11, 2016, 07:13 AM »
I will mostly be fishing in 5 to 120 feet. (yes I know that's not specific) but I fish perch crappie and occasional lake trout. Thinking about the showdown.

Are you thinking about the Showdown because they are cheap or you just like the vertical readout??
Dick

Offline Spoondangler

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #13 on: Dec 11, 2016, 08:04 AM »
Are you thinking about the Showdown because they are cheap or you just like the vertical readout??
Dick

Id assume also because it is light and portable as well?  I use a Lx 7 and i would like to find a showdown some day at a good price for hole hopping/ chasing lakers etc.  running around with the big one is silly sometimes, especally if they are not finicky.

Offline mudchuck

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #14 on: Dec 16, 2016, 10:58 AM »
Dick

Been using a Marcum VX-1P since I bought it new in 2012, certainly has paid for itself! Bought it for $250 at the time.
I've fished shallow to deep like you plan to and it works well.
Over 80', I need to turn the gain way up, since this is only a 1000 watt unit, the pickup at those depths needs more power, but 40' or less I'm at bare minimum gain and it works fantastic with real good battery life. Can go sun up to sunset and not even worry about battery.
The Vex & Hummingbird guys don't like these closeby as they claim it interferes, and I've seen interference from them when we are all closeby and can clear it up for the most part, but when you have 20+ sonars all within 30 foot radius all chasing smelt it gets a little cluttered on the flasher dial.
I just did change the battery out last season, not because it was no good, but I use that original battery with a submerged glow light.
Marcum service is wonderful too. I did have to ship the unit back for an issue, but was in the warranty period and they fixed it and got it back to me very fast and threw on a snow lens cover as a bonus.
All in all, I'm very satisfied and the bottom zoom lock it great, you won't be disappointed if you purchase one of these.
Good luck with whatever you decide on getting.
Tight Lines & be safe out there on the early ice!

Offline keithm87

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #15 on: Dec 16, 2016, 11:43 AM »
They all have positives and negatives. I have a FL18 and love it most of the time, but when I get past 80ft deep having to change the zoom from 4-10x makes it hard to use. Buddy has a showdown and loves it, but it has its times where its not as good, seems he has to play with his gain way more often than I do. A big overlooked thing to think about is what the people you fish with use. I can use mine with no interference from the showdowns, but was fishing with someone with one of the higher end marcums and the screen was going crazy from it, and conversely the showdown picks up a lot of interference from my fl18.

Offline Troutmagnet

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #16 on: Dec 18, 2016, 06:50 PM »
Love my Marcum LX-5.

Offline paulmueller

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #17 on: Dec 19, 2016, 07:18 AM »
I bought my first vexilar in 2003. It was a FL-18 ultra pack. I still use it to this day and have never had a problem with it. I now have a FL-20 and 2 FLX-28's. Very solid company. Reliable and it definitely makes finding and catching fish easier. My friends have marcum and hummingbird and Ive used them and I prefer the vexilar over the other brands. Better target separation and they read fish that are "outside the cone" and suspended better in my opinion too.

Offline lowaccord66

• Team IceshantyInsanity
« Reply #18 on: Dec 19, 2016, 10:03 AM »
I have a FLX28 and will own a LX7 as well. 2 completely different beasts if you ask me.  The 2 don't compare...save lunch money and own both!   ;D

Offline varmonter

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #19 on: Dec 21, 2016, 01:53 AM »
i have an lx-7 seems to work fine..get what you can afford/understand ..save some more and get one better..they all find fish..

Offline metalligoo2

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #20 on: Dec 21, 2016, 03:17 AM »
Both the Vexilar and Marcum units work great, I started with the Marcum Showdown Troller 2.0 and now have a Vexilar FL-20, I would recommend either one. As far as different brands interfering with each other both Vexilar and Marcum have Interference Rejection (IR) settings. I could use my Marcum 10 feet away from my father's Vexilar and neither unit had interference once the IR was tuned on. It might also be worth looking into the reconditioned flashers on the Vexilar website. I picked my FL-20 up on ebay for a deal I couldn't pass up. It doesn't hurt to look at options.

Offline miknvt

• IceShanty Rookie
  • How are they biting
« Reply #21 on: Dec 21, 2016, 12:43 PM »
Has anyone tried the fish hunter 3d wireless for hard water? Don't fish enough to justify marcum or vexilar
There ain't no fish in this frogpond

Offline dickbaker

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #22 on: Dec 21, 2016, 04:08 PM »
Has anyone tried the fish hunter 3d wireless for hard water? Don't fish enough to justify marcum or vexilar

??? ::) You get what you pay for :tipup:
Dick

Offline Aliv22

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #23 on: Dec 21, 2016, 04:10 PM »
The vexilar fl8 is probably the most durable and practical for what your looking for in that price range it will withstand all the elements and fits inside a five gallon bucket .i also use it on my boat and it holds up great.i do a lot of crappie perch and pan fishing and it is by far the best.

Offline troutcrazy

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #24 on: Dec 21, 2016, 07:29 PM »
I went for a Marcum vx1i because the entry level unit seemed better, and had better specs, than the equivalent Vexilar.  It has bottom zoom.

Offline tench

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #25 on: Dec 21, 2016, 11:05 PM »
Bottom zoom is nice when you're pulling up bottom hugging perch or trying to tease sluggish lakers. Good choice.
The charm of fishing is that it is the pursuit of what is elusive but attainable,
a perpetual series of occasions for hope.
~John Buchan

Offline gofish22

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #26 on: Dec 22, 2016, 08:45 AM »
Went with a Marcum Lx-5 years ago and have been very impressed. I am not gentle with it either. Will be buying a Marcum again in the future.

Offline troutcrazy

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #27 on: Dec 22, 2016, 01:42 PM »
gofish, I'm glad to hear that you found your Marcum to be durable. 

Because I was just popping back to this thread to grumble that my Marcum VX-1i has crapped out on me.  I only bought it half way through last winter.  I used it a little on open water, but still less than a year of use.

The battery holds very little charge-- only a couple hours worth, now-- and it's not covered under warranty.

The power/depth scale knob fell off the spindle, and doesn't re-attach.  Ok, it was fine for a while as I could still operate the knob by turning the spindle.  Today, it quit working altogether-- the spindle just spins without tripping the power switch.

Uggh.  Time to ship it back for warranty repair, and who knows how long that will take  :P I'm actually thinking of going out and buying a higher-end flasher right now.

Normally, this is where I'd rant about cheap, made-in-China crap... but I'm pretty sure Marcum is still made in USA.

Offline Spoondangler

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #28 on: Dec 22, 2016, 02:30 PM »
gofish, I'm glad to hear that you found your Marcum to be durable. 

Because I was just popping back to this thread to grumble that my Marcum VX-1i has crapped out on me.  I only bought it half way through last winter.  I used it a little on open water, but still less than a year of use.

The battery holds very little charge-- only a couple hours worth, now-- and it's not covered under warranty.

The power/depth scale knob fell off the spindle, and doesn't re-attach.  Ok, it was fine for a while as I could still operate the knob by turning the spindle.  Today, it quit working altogether-- the spindle just spins without tripping the power switch.

Uggh.  Time to ship it back for warranty repair, and who knows how long that will take  :P I'm actually thinking of going out and buying a higher-end flasher right now.

Normally, this is where I'd rant about cheap, made-in-China crap... but I'm pretty sure Marcum is still made in USA.

Did you treat the battery well?

Offline troutcrazy

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #29 on: Dec 22, 2016, 05:58 PM »
Did you treat the battery well?
I don't know.  I was usually pretty good about charging it after every outing.  I definitely forgot a few times, but usually it got charged.

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.