Author Topic: leader set ups.  (Read 1336 times)

Offline Salmonquest

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • "I once killed a gopher with a stick"
leader set ups.
« on: Dec 08, 2016, 07:22 PM »
I was thinking of putting barrell swivels on my tip up line and then snelling some small trebles on 18 in. of 20# fluoro with a snap swivel on the end.

I was also going to snell some small circle hooks with 4# fluoro and snap swivels. I figured I could then swap out leaders at night to target walleye or perch.

Any thoughts on this approach are appreciated.

Offline wyogator

• Team IceShanty Maniac
Re: leader set ups.
« Reply #1 on: Dec 08, 2016, 09:22 PM »
I would do it the way you are doing, except I would use 36" of leader instead of 18" and tie an improved clinch or Trilene knot.  Snells are a pain in the rear end.  I only use snells for spinner harness rigs.

Offline 1MOFISH

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • The ice is always safe are you in ???????????????
Re: leader set ups.
« Reply #2 on: Dec 09, 2016, 08:42 AM »
I was thinking of putting barrell swivels on my tip up line and then snelling some small trebles on 18 in. of 20# fluoro with a snap swivel on the end.

I was also going to snell some small circle hooks with 4# fluoro and snap swivels. I figured I could then swap out leaders at night to target walleye or perch.

Any thoughts on this approach are appreciated.
ball bearing barrel swivs are best the cheap ones allow your line to twist.leader lengths are relative to the depth the water your fishin,i e fishing 6fow i use 3 foot leaders fishing shallower i use shorter leaders.one caveat is the braid main line is used as a deterent to line frayin on the hole so leader length comes into play when landing your fish.
GOD BLESS
mo
LOVE THE LORD YOUR GOD WITH ALL YOUR HEART AND SOUL AND STRENGTH and'LOVE THY NEiGHBOR AS THYSELF'   GOD

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.