Author Topic: Ice shack heater  (Read 6681 times)

Offline Timetofish

• Team IceShanty Regular
Ice shack heater
« on: Dec 08, 2016, 08:39 AM »
Is a big buddy heater good for a fishing shack, does it make it too damp? Do you think they are safe to use for a night  as box says outside use only. Wood heat is nice but takes a lot of room. Thanks

Offline cerndo

• Team IceShanty Regular
Re: Ice shack heater
« Reply #1 on: Dec 08, 2016, 08:56 AM »
Without adequate fresh air like a 9" hole, you will run the risk of dying.  I would never sleep in a shack that burns propane.  Too many fisherman have gone before us....lessons learned.  Stick with wood, dry heat and no frost build up.

Offline Timetofish

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #2 on: Dec 08, 2016, 10:00 AM »
Has anyone used a CO detector with the buddy heater?

muleear

« Reply #3 on: Dec 08, 2016, 10:15 AM »
The big buddy is supposed to shut itself off if there is a problem.Dont know if I would trust it though.I tried what you are describing hoping it would replace the stove in my smaller shack,didnt work every time the floor moved by walking by it, it would quit also uses a lot of fuel.As suggested a smaller wood stove works very well.

Offline 3rdgenrf

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #4 on: Dec 08, 2016, 10:17 AM »
Propane heat sucks. It's noisey, damp, and dangerous

gman51

« Reply #5 on: Dec 08, 2016, 11:08 AM »
Hmmmm..Sounds like a girl I used to know...

Offline Big Burk

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • wishin I was fishin
« Reply #6 on: Dec 08, 2016, 11:10 AM »
Unless it's a forced air propane furnace I hate them for shacks. I'm seriously thinking of buying the material and cutting a hole in my 6 man pop up to use a small wood stove instead of propane. But I've spent many nights in shacks with propane heat, just make sure to buy a good CO2 detector and change batteries regularly if it stays in the shack.

Offline tightline06

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #7 on: Dec 08, 2016, 11:16 AM »
I use a propane heater in my shack for the same reason, takes up less room. I have a sleeper shack and sleep out there quite often. I always leave a window cracked and use a good C02 detector.

Offline shootsmcgee

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #8 on: Dec 08, 2016, 03:40 PM »
The big buddy is a damn decent heater. They have a low oxygen shut-off and tip over protection that works great (tested it a few times and it works).The radiant style is fairly efficient and combined with the electric fan moving air keeps condensation to a minimum. You do need some fresh air coming in though. Nothing beats wood heat but if all you have is the big buddy option its not bad at all. About the only heaters I hate are the sunflowers! They burn lots of propane, spew way more noxious fumes and have burned down many a shack or tent!!
well if you were me then i'd be you and i really wouldn't know what the hell I was talking about...

gman51

« Reply #9 on: Dec 08, 2016, 03:59 PM »
Nothin wrong with the sunflower heaters been using them for over 20 years. fresh Air movement and venting is just common sense if your lacking in that department I can see it being an issue. big buddy same thing perhaps less noisy.

Offline jhepting

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #10 on: Dec 08, 2016, 04:18 PM »
i can testify about the oxygen shut off.  Had some rookie guys out and did not tell them not to close the vents.... they were cold and closed them thinking that it would warm up.  When it went out we did not realise that we were all light headed and it took me a little while to figure out when it would not light I finally realise that i was light headed... After i stood up and fell over.  Could have been worse and i now educate everyone how comes with me for the first time with my safety briefing before they come with me.  Lover the Buddy.

Offline TT

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #11 on: Dec 08, 2016, 04:30 PM »
The oxygen depletion sensor does not give you any indication of the presence of CO (carbon monoxide). For that you need a CO detector. And not a CO2 detector.

Offline anglerbrian

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • Fun n Games Til Someone loses a Walleye
« Reply #12 on: Dec 08, 2016, 04:51 PM »
The oxygen depletion sensor does not give you any indication of the presence of CO (carbon monoxide). For that you need a CO detector. And not a CO2 detector.
Exactly! I use a portable co (Carbon Monoxide) detector with my Big buddy and it has never given me a warning or even shown traces. I always keep the roof vent open and at least one window or door open a little on the 6X12 and or 6X6 pop up shelters. Wood heat is nice but would be a pain in the a.. when you are trying to run and gun and keep weight and bulk to a minimum.
Old fishermen never die, they just smell that way.

gman51

« Reply #13 on: Dec 09, 2016, 07:22 AM »
thumbs up for anglerbrian,fresh flowing air and venting, and for those who perfer to fish with a teeshirt and sneakers a wood stove would be your best choice.

Offline saskbucks

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #14 on: Dec 09, 2016, 08:55 AM »
Exactly! I use a portable co (Carbon Monoxide) detector with my Big buddy and it has never given me a warning or even shown traces. I always keep the roof vent open and at least one window or door open a little on the 6X12 and or 6X6 pop up shelters. Wood heat is nice but would be a pain in the a.. when you are trying to run and gun and keep weight and bulk to a minimum.

I also use a popup and propane tank top.  Always have the vents open and never zip the door completely shut.  Just use common sense.  Anchor your pop up down and leave enough space for yourself etc.  A lot of problems occur when alcohol is added to the mix.  Be safe out there everyone. 
Get outside.  It does a body and mind good!

Offline pkurtz

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #15 on: Dec 09, 2016, 06:17 PM »
I've ran my Buddy heater in my Clam popup lots and never had a problem other than the condensation issue. I agree with other people, leave the vents open, have a CO detector (place it low in your breathing zone) and you should be fine as popups are air tight at all.

On the condensation issue, try putting on of those blue tarps over the outside of your popup to create an air dead zone. (don't let your vents get covered) It will trap the heat/condensation in the tarp not the popup and keep your popup drier.

Offline Lester123

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #16 on: Dec 10, 2016, 02:18 PM »
I bought a propane stove from Nu-way out of Michigan.  I also bought the stack piping and top cap for the stack from them. I purchased it approximately 8 years ago and I think it's awesome. I like the fact that I don't have to haul out firewood anymore and I can also control my shack temperature with the dial and dampener. The shack does not get damp from using propane since the heater has to be vented outside.

Offline AndyJ

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #17 on: Dec 10, 2016, 02:36 PM »

Good to read the recomendation for the Nu-way. I bought 10,000 btu unit a month ago for the 5x12 for the reasons you mentioned and on the advice of members here. Haven't installed it yet.

Did you put the damper near the heater or just before the pipe exits the building? 

http://nuwaystove.com/

Offline Lester123

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #18 on: Dec 10, 2016, 05:40 PM »
Closer to the top, more radiant heat will be kept in the stack if you operate with it pinched in.

Offline Timetofish

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #19 on: Dec 10, 2016, 07:34 PM »
Who are the dealers for the nu-way propane heaters around Prince Albert, Saskatoon and what price?

Offline AndyJ

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #20 on: Dec 11, 2016, 08:11 AM »
I get the logic Lester, thanks.  That's what I will do too.

Nuway doesn't appear to have any Canadian dealers. I ordered online from Michigan. Their smallest heater, the 10,000 btu unit was $139.00 plus $69. shipping. Those are U.S. dollars. Yup, kinda pricey but our quality recreation time is important.   ;)

Offline Timetofish

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #21 on: Dec 11, 2016, 11:14 AM »
That still works out a fair amount cheaper than flamans, 12,000 btu for $475! Did the $69 cover shipping, duty and taxes?

Offline AndyJ

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #22 on: Dec 11, 2016, 06:27 PM »
Just checked the invoice.  $139.95 plus $65 shipping (U.S. dollars). No duty or taxes. Delivered to the door by Canada Post.

Offline chrisfisher

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #23 on: Dec 14, 2016, 11:31 AM »
I use non-insulated popup shacks and have always used a buddy heater or a sunflower(single). I like the sunflower cause its a bit more compact and pumps out heat a lot better. I've also seen people melt\burn down there popup with one because it was too close or because the propane kept flowing without ignition and big flame.. anyway kind of common sense stuff. I don't care for the buddy heater because of the safety feature, counts out if it gets bump. Probably good if you have kids\dog around, some guys disable it.. I also mount onto a larger propane tank, I find those little green ones don't last very long and are expensive... you can refill them yourself but I don't have patience for that.
As for as damp\condensation goes I leave a vent open but I also have one of those LED\FANs that are designed to mount in the pop-ups. It circulates heat, have never had damp\condensation again and gives yah some light to see in the dark so I don't have to rely on my headlamp when in the shack.

Offline Schmeldon

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #24 on: Dec 17, 2016, 06:13 AM »
I had a buddy of mine build me a propane stove using the burner from an old water heater, natural gas or propane as both will work. He built the stove just like a small wood stove with the burner right in the center of the firebox. Used a valve off a tiger torch so you can regulate your heat, and put a 3" chimney on it. Certainly needs to be vented so the stovepipe goes through either the roof or in the case of a popup, out one of the windows. A little work to get your initial setup, but once you're done you've got a nice heater that's vented and no moisture buildup.

Offline Timetofish

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #25 on: Dec 17, 2016, 07:26 AM »
I have to agree for safety and moisture,  vented is the way to go. If you use 3" vent pipe through the roof on a shack, would you screw the joints, or dismantle for hauling on the highway?

Offline chilly-willy

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #26 on: Dec 17, 2016, 07:49 AM »
My suggestion is try to find a direct vent propan heater.. like this at link it mounts to a out side wall and vents Co. out side. 

http://www.houzz.com/photos/47325301/Ashley-Direct-Vent-11000-Btu-Heater-LP-Gas-traditional-space-heaters

muleear

« Reply #27 on: Dec 19, 2016, 10:09 AM »
My suggestion is try to find a direct vent propan heater.. like this at link it mounts to a out side wall and vents Co. out side. 

I like that would be the way to go

Offline Blue Hog Ridr

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #28 on: Dec 19, 2016, 01:25 PM »
The big buddy is supposed to shut itself off if there is a problem.Dont know if I would trust it though.

Me neither Buddy.   Not that everything made in China is junk, but I don't believe that I want to push my luck.   It is like a poorly packed parachute, you seldom get a second chance. 

Likely better off with other forms of generating heat.   Many little Rocket Stoves available these days.   Generate quite a bit of heat without using a cord of wood a day.   And they don't take up a lot of space.

If I was going to stay the night,  I would try and find a used Military sleeping bag.   Get the place as warm as possible and shut the heater down.   Of course,  open a vent a bit also.   

I have an old 20 lb propane tank.   Cut the top portion off,  get someone to weld some legs on. Start a cozy little fire. The embers will burn and keep the place just right.   Just the right size fire bowl.
Fishing is good for your Mind, Body and Soul.
Actually catching a fish or two is a nice by product of a day well spent.

The next time that you don't feel like going into work, don't give your Boss any excuses (Hes heard them all), just say, "I'm going fishing, wanna come".

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.