Author Topic: Indian hill traps  (Read 2374 times)

Offline Altonbayicefishingfool

• Team IceShanty Regular
Indian hill traps
« on: Dec 08, 2016, 08:05 AM »
Just wondering how these perform? Looking to drop a dime and pick up a few.

Thanks for the info!
Life is good!

Offline Jschumacher

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Nothing beats walking on water. Life Member NAFC
Re: Indian hill traps
« Reply #1 on: Dec 08, 2016, 11:39 AM »
They perform great. I have 15 of them. Top quality trap and Mike stands behind the product 110%. The Nor easters are also outstanding for dead sticking with the jig rods. Pike are a blast catching that way. Unfortunately for us but well deserved for Mike and his family. He is taking the year off from building traps. His face book page has the whole story behind his traps
Hard water Tight lines Flags up. Doesn't get any better than that

Member of the G.O.D.S

Offline Raptortrapper

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #2 on: Dec 08, 2016, 11:41 AM »
His website says they aren't making any this year.  He did list a couple sources that might have some left over from last year though.  Can't remember where those sources were though as I have slept since I read the website.
The next time you think you know it all, try telling someone else's dog what to do.

Offline Jschumacher

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Nothing beats walking on water. Life Member NAFC
« Reply #3 on: Dec 08, 2016, 11:44 AM »
His website says they aren't making any this year.  He did list a couple sources that might have some left over from last year though.  Can't remember where those sources were though as I have slept since I read the website.

Blue Northern Trading Post in Littleton, MA IceHole in southern NH and I think Arlington Bait in Arlington, MA carried them.
Hard water Tight lines Flags up. Doesn't get any better than that

Member of the G.O.D.S

Offline Altonbayicefishingfool

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #4 on: Dec 08, 2016, 01:52 PM »
Blue hill has 4 left as of yesterday @$45 a piece.

Ice hole has close to 70 Ish left at $35 I believe.
Life is good!

Offline ishoot308

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #5 on: Dec 08, 2016, 01:55 PM »
I think I am the only one who ever had a bad experience with Indian Hills or should I say Mike....The traps I bought had defective flags as they simply would not stay straight up. They literally would simply limp down to ice level and couldn't be seen. I contacted Mike and he confirmed he had gotten a batch of bad flags and promised to send me 6 new ones (flags) right away. After patiently waiting a couple months I contacted him again and got the same response. After waiting over a year he simply ignored me and finally I gave up. I would of gladly even paid for the new flags (don't ask me why!!) Other than the flags the traps are top quality. It's just too bad he stiffed me on the customer service end of things. Can't say much good about the experience...

Just being honest...

Dan

Offline AQUAASSASSIN

• Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #6 on: Dec 08, 2016, 02:40 PM »
I think I am the only one who ever had a bad experience with Indian Hills or should I say Mike....The traps I bought had defective flags as they simply would not stay straight up. They literally would simply limp down to ice level and couldn't be seen. I contacted Mike and he confirmed he had gotten a batch of bad flags and promised to send me 6 new ones (flags) right away. After patiently waiting a couple months I contacted him again and got the same response. After waiting over a year he simply ignored me and finally I gave up. I would of gladly even paid for the new flags (don't ask me why!!) Other than the flags the traps are top quality. It's just too bad he stiffed me on the customer service end of things. Can't say much good about the experience...

Just being honest...

Dan

You weren't the only one, numerous other brought up various issues as well including myself. I don't understand the hype if there is any, they don't do anything a Heritage or jack won't.
You count your years by the Winters.

It’s not being Cocky if you can back it up.

Offline pmaloney86

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #7 on: Dec 08, 2016, 02:51 PM »
You weren't the only one, numerous other brought up various issues as well including myself. I don't understand the hype if there is any, they don't do anything a Heritage or jack won't.

You can buy replacement parts for the heritage traps for everything except the tripping mechanism.  I did so and built my own traps that work just as well as a heritage.  I'd imagine you could buy the heritage flags as replacements.
westernmas on the finder

Offline AQUAASSASSIN

• Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #8 on: Dec 08, 2016, 02:52 PM »
You can buy replacement parts for the heritage traps for everything except the tripping mechanism.  I did so and built my own traps that work just as well as a heritage.  I'd imagine you could buy the heritage flags as replacements.

Exactly but there nothing needed to be replaced on them  ;D.

Offline Rando5512

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • I'd rather go fishin'!
« Reply #9 on: Dec 08, 2016, 02:55 PM »
Much better luck with Jack traps.

Offline jibbs

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • C:\Documents and Settings\jgirard\My Documents\My
« Reply #10 on: Dec 08, 2016, 03:07 PM »
Roland Patry's in the house..16 Bucks a piece..Berlin, nh
when chuck norris played golf for money, chuck marked down a hole in zero every time, the golf pro said, "chuck: you can't score zero on a hole." Chuck norris turned towards the man and said, "I'm chuck norris, the man proceeded to pour gas over his body and set himself on fire because that would be less painful than getting roundhouse kicked by chuck norris....chuck norris roundhouse kicked him in the face anyways

Offline AQUAASSASSIN

• Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #11 on: Dec 08, 2016, 03:14 PM »

Another solid

Offline northernnyice

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #12 on: Dec 08, 2016, 03:25 PM »
My dad has a set. Get a set of sealed lakers and be done with it.

Offline suckerbait

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #13 on: Dec 08, 2016, 04:28 PM »
I ordered two a couple of year's back as a gift for a friend who was getting into ice fishing particularly lakers. When they arrived one of the spools was mounted at a 45 degree angle. They also had the issue with the faulty springs on the flags. I also didn't like the narrow spool. Went right out and bought a couple of Heritages and rigged them up and gave them as the gift. The Indian Hill's sit in my basement never used. Parts readily available for Heritages as well.

Offline Coffin Dodger

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #14 on: Dec 08, 2016, 05:07 PM »
Thought Roland's traps have not been for sale for years?
Am I wrong?
Heard nothing but good about them.

Offline lowaccord66

• Team IceshantyInsanity
« Reply #15 on: Dec 09, 2016, 05:28 AM »
My dad has a set. Get a set of sealed lakers and be done with it.

Yup.  Black. 

Offline jibbs

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #16 on: Dec 09, 2016, 11:30 AM »
Thought Roland's traps have not been for sale for years?
Am I wrong?
Heard nothing but good about them.
just google his name and you will find his number...he still makes them..i just got a big order for the boys for Christmas...plus he is getting up there in age so im stock piling...I still have my orginal pair from when I was a kid and I will not tell you how many I own..its silly...the only problem is that the spools he uses now are junk..like tin cans...I actually change them out to plastic heritage spools ...so basically its around a hundred for 6 traps and 30 for 6 spools off the internet but will last you a lifetime unless you leave one in the ice at the end of the day or someone runs one over on a snowmobile
when chuck norris played golf for money, chuck marked down a hole in zero every time, the golf pro said, "chuck: you can't score zero on a hole." Chuck norris turned towards the man and said, "I'm chuck norris, the man proceeded to pour gas over his body and set himself on fire because that would be less painful than getting roundhouse kicked by chuck norris....chuck norris roundhouse kicked him in the face anyways

Offline Coffin Dodger

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #17 on: Dec 09, 2016, 02:37 PM »
just google his name and you will find his number...he still makes them..i just got a big order for the boys for Christmas...plus he is getting up there in age so im stock piling...I still have my orginal pair from when I was a kid and I will not tell you how many I own..its silly...the only problem is that the spools he uses now are junk..like tin cans...I actually change them out to plastic heritage spools ...so basically its around a hundred for 6 traps and 30 for 6 spools off the internet but will last you a lifetime unless you leave one in the ice at the end of the day or someone runs one over on a snowmobile
Good to know. Thanks very much, Jibbs.
Thought he was getting up in age years ago.   ;)
Replacing spools is a non issue for me.

Offline jimmyrig

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #18 on: Dec 09, 2016, 08:11 PM »

Hate to be a pain... But I am now curious about these Roland party traps.. Googled them and can't find a picture, I would love to see one. Can anyone post a pic? Might be a good gift for my boys, I like buying handmade local items.

Jason
that is thinking with your dipstick......jimmy

Offline Coffin Dodger

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #19 on: Dec 09, 2016, 09:47 PM »
Hate to be a pain... But I am now curious about these Roland party traps.. Googled them and can't find a picture, I would love to see one. Can anyone post a pic? Might be a good gift for my boys, I like buying handmade local items.

Jason
Check out this thread..http://www.iceshanty.com/ice_fishing/index.php?topic=153706.20

Couple good pics.
Jibbs has been a Patry supporter for years. ;D
Jason, if you connect with Roland, please pm me.
I'd like a few, but not heading up that way anytime soon.

Offline Mr.Harry

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #20 on: Dec 09, 2016, 10:40 PM »
Looks like a jack. Might be cheaper but  I doubt they're 'better'.

Offline jibbs

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #21 on: Dec 10, 2016, 02:50 AM »

Jason
if you buy a set get the shorter ones..the tall guys are nice but will tend to blow over ..i think they might sell them at gordys in Milan or at ll cotes..not sure

Offline jibbs

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #22 on: Dec 10, 2016, 05:35 AM »
Looks like a jack. Might be cheaper but  I doubt they're 'better'.
really comes down to a quality knot, solid leader, sharp hook and a good spot..

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.