Ice Fishing Iowa board sponsored by

Author Topic: Iowa Great Lakes  (Read 9787 times)

Offline drakevh

• IceShanty Rookie
Iowa Great Lakes
« on: Dec 06, 2016, 07:40 PM »
Anyone from around the Okoboji area have any info on whats happening up at the lakes? I'd love to hear of the upcoming ice conditions there. Can't wait to get out there and catch some fish!

Offline Agronomist_at_IA

• Team IceShantyholic
  • Team Iowa!
Re: Iowa Great Lakes
« Reply #1 on: Dec 06, 2016, 08:31 PM »
waves were crashing on the shore today.

Offline crappie98

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #2 on: Dec 06, 2016, 08:57 PM »
If you have facebook like Kabeles Trading Post and Lodge.  They post ice info as soon as they have it.  Also best place to get anything you need in the IGL region.

Offline Bates

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #3 on: Dec 07, 2016, 06:47 AM »
Watch the cameras around the lake too.

Offline Fish Butcher

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #4 on: Dec 07, 2016, 07:57 AM »
West "O" water temp. @ 38.15 degrees.

Offline drakevh

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #5 on: Dec 07, 2016, 08:03 AM »
Hopefully some of the wind stays down and we can take advantage of these cold temps up there. They're looking quite promising.

Offline rich_fisher69

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #6 on: Dec 07, 2016, 12:15 PM »
Like Stans Bait and Tackle on Facebook. John just posted ice conditions and pictures on there.

Offline drakevh

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #7 on: Dec 09, 2016, 09:30 AM »
Anyone thinking of trying east boho this weekend? Or have any update on current ice conditions. I saw from stans bait and tackle Page there is like 3 inches of ice. I'm hoping there is some more I'd love to venture out on Saturday possibly. Any info would be awesome.

Offline CrappieBuster

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #8 on: Dec 09, 2016, 12:29 PM »
People are fishing the IGLS already.Very spotty ice conditions. 5-8 Inches of snow on the way this weekend and more next week.  Will probably slow down the ice making considerably. If anyone is thinking of coming over I'd rethink your plans.

Offline drakevh

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #9 on: Dec 09, 2016, 12:39 PM »
Any idea on the ice thickness? I realize that the snow won't be great, but if a guy could beat it on saturday it might be worth a try.

Offline CrappieBuster

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #10 on: Dec 09, 2016, 12:59 PM »
Not sure on thickness. I have heard second hand reports of people fishing on Anglers and some of the Boji bays.  I plan on heading a little bit west where the ice is safer.

Offline drakevh

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #11 on: Dec 09, 2016, 01:30 PM »
My problem is I want to head up from Des Moines... Wondering if the trip really is worth it then.

Offline Bates

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #12 on: Dec 09, 2016, 04:28 PM »
The lakes around Okoboji  (shallower ones) just capped in the last couple days, so if anyone thinks the ice is safe, come on up and fish. The lakes near me just capped with some open spots yesterday,  I drilled 4" in some spots, with open water less than 100' yesterday and these are shallow lakes. I'm not going until next week with the snow and wind coming in this weekend.  Keep the snow away and some will be driving on by next weekend.

Offline drakevh

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #13 on: Dec 09, 2016, 04:54 PM »
I really hope boji doesn't get much snow. Keep the cold days and no snow would be ideal obviously. What will the snow really do tho? Does it impact it an insane amount?

Offline Bates

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #14 on: Dec 09, 2016, 05:09 PM »
The snow is insulation for the thin ice, lakes that are open will be fine. The ice takes longer to get thick and even, area with 4 " can be ok area with 1" 50' away you go in.

Offline Bates

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #15 on: Dec 09, 2016, 05:23 PM »
A- holes on KTIV say N.W. IOWA, top 2 to 3 counties to get 4-8 this weekend with more maybe Monday. I got gas for the blower and it started and will be ordering maggots from Vados on Monday. I don't want to say it but please let the wind blow Sunday or Monday.

Offline CrappieBuster

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #16 on: Dec 10, 2016, 10:17 AM »
Snow insulates ice? Really? ???

Offline Huntindave

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #17 on: Dec 10, 2016, 10:22 AM »
Snow insulates ice? Really? ???

This is a pretty well known fact,  do a little research.  A well informed fisherman is a safer fisherman.
take care,
Dave  :>)

Offline drakevh

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #18 on: Dec 10, 2016, 10:31 AM »
Anybody brace enough to venture out?

Offline Fish Butcher

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #19 on: Dec 10, 2016, 10:45 AM »
Anybody brace enough to venture out?
Yes.

Offline Iowarabbit

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #20 on: Dec 10, 2016, 10:56 AM »
This is a pretty well known fact,  do a little research.  A well informed fisherman is a safer fisherman.
I'm guessing the sarcasm was missed.  I'd think with 1,600 posts in an ice fishing forum, he has a pretty good idea about the effects of snow on top of thin/new ice. 

Offline tracksnorth

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #21 on: Dec 10, 2016, 11:25 AM »
the sarcasm was definitely missed.
OEF vet Cco 2/505th PIR 82nd airborne division

Offline drakevh

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #22 on: Dec 10, 2016, 11:27 AM »
Yes.
The type of response I'd expect from my wife over a text but not a fellow fisherman haha! How was the ice and where did you go?

Offline Huntindave

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #23 on: Dec 10, 2016, 11:35 AM »
I really hope boji doesn't get much snow. Keep the cold days and no snow would be ideal obviously. What will the snow really do tho? Does it impact it an insane amount?

Why would sarcasm even be appropriate?  Drake (with 26 posts) asks about " what the snow will really do?"  It seems to me he is asking an honest question.  Drake gets a response telling him the snow insulates the ice.  Why would this cause anyone to respond with sarcasm?  An honest and helpful answer seems much more appropriate.
take care,
Dave  :>)

Offline squ1rr31_

• IceShanty Mod Team
  • Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Addicted to freezing.
« Reply #24 on: Dec 10, 2016, 12:54 PM »
Easy boys... I know we're all itching to get out and are getting irritated at how long its taking. We're all on the same team here. What were the conditions you found?

Offline drakevh

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #25 on: Dec 10, 2016, 01:24 PM »
Couldn't agree more Squirrel. I am however going nuts waiting to get on the hard water. I bet I have checked this website on the hour for the past few days waiting to hear some info! Hopefully by tonight some people will have a few reports on their day.

Offline Bates

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #26 on: Dec 10, 2016, 01:28 PM »
I sat on the ice 40 minutes southish of igl, on 5" and didn't mark anything but my lures. Trying out my new toy the flx-28, hopefully find some deeper water to see what is can do. Drove around L.I. and I think there is more open water than I reported earlier. Lots (poop tons) of geese and ducks keeping areas open, a heave from little stoney east also. Need to do some mods to my shack and get my pos Strikemaster Solo fixed before it gets thick.

Offline Mr.Seaguar

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #27 on: Dec 10, 2016, 01:33 PM »
There is plenty of ice, 5"+, at the Grade and Templars, Angler's bay has people fishing but I don't know ice thickness there. West okoboji has a lot of open water. Canals off Miller's bay were not safe, maybe 1.75". Little Emerson had barely an inch. This was yesterday when I drove up. It's not warm now so I am sure the ice got thicker since yesterday in all those places.
Every plastics manufacturer claims plastics outfish livebait. So now I use livebait just for the increased challenge.

Offline squ1rr31_

• IceShanty Mod Team
  • Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Addicted to freezing.
« Reply #28 on: Dec 10, 2016, 02:33 PM »
I sat on the ice 40 minutes southish of igl, on 5" and didn't mark anything but my lures. Trying out my new toy the flx-28, hopefully find some deeper water to see what is can do. Drove around L.I. and I think there is more open water than I reported earlier. Lots (poop tons) of geese and ducks keeping areas open, a heave from little stoney east also. Need to do some mods to my shack and get my pos Strikemaster Solo fixed before it gets thick.

My Solo has been pretty poochie as well, bogs down and chugs. I have a carb kit but I really don't want to tear into it myself after seeing how small the screens and springs are.

Offline Bates

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #29 on: Dec 14, 2016, 01:22 PM »
Just got the Strikemaster back, went to cutting edge in milford. Very nice people and fast turn around,  new carb kit, fuel filter and canned gas,  77 and change. Guy there recommends the Echo brand don't know much about the stuff but if it keeps my 2 cycle stuff running better I'll try it. Not cheap 8 bucks a quart  but if I use 2-3 cans a year on my auger, chain saw and weed eater and no shop time, we'll worth it. Stopped at Stan's for new auger straps and the girl working said a Smart One went through on Big Spirit. Was driving around Big Stoney, can't fix idiots.  These lakes have not been frozen for a week.

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.