The ice fishing Michigan board sponsored by:

Sponsor this board

Author Topic: Western Oakland County Ice Fishing  (Read 5766 times)

Offline Nipper2681

• IceShanty Rookie
Western Oakland County Ice Fishing
« on: Dec 06, 2016, 05:02 PM »
New to the White Lake area and looking to hook up with others in the area to ice fish with them. No one should go out alone! I am from the Rochester, Mi. area and all my buds are still working and have weekends only available.

Offline chilly-willy

• Team IceShanty Maniac
Re: Western Oakland County Ice Fishing
« Reply #1 on: Dec 07, 2016, 04:47 AM »
Would love to hopefully.. some of my buddies only fish on weekends..  would love to get out weather permitting of course .. i am from the milford area real close maybe south and west of white lake twp. If you want to get out let me know!

Offline rusty go0se

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #2 on: Dec 07, 2016, 08:23 AM »
Welcome. I spend most of the winter not working so I fish a lot during the week. I live in the Waterford area nearing white lake as well. I'm game, let me know
"Anything free is worth saving up for"

Offline RLWagner

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #3 on: Dec 07, 2016, 12:33 PM »
In the area, game to get out, drop a pm if you want company.

Offline Nipper2681

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #4 on: Dec 09, 2016, 06:31 PM »
I live North off of White Lake Rd. Just East of Ormond Rd. What lakes do you fish on? I came from the Rochester area and I fished lakes in the Bald Mountain Rec. area, Lake St. Clair and up North in Fairview. I'm 62 and have been ice fishing for about 9 yrs. Thanks for the reply. You give me hope in the area here.

Nick

Offline chilly-willy

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #5 on: Dec 09, 2016, 10:20 PM »
I live North off of White Lake Rd. Just East of Ormond Rd. What lakes do you fish on? I came from the Rochester area and I fished lakes in the Bald Mountain Rec. area, Lake St. Clair and up North in Fairview. I'm 62 and have been ice fishing for about 9 yrs. Thanks for the reply. You give me hope in the area here.

Nick

I am 37 and fish Kensington a lot but kensington is kinda over fished so i am trying other lakes I have been eye balling a lake on the north side of m-59 in Highland , mi.. only time will tell when will get safe ice to go out on plenty of people around if you ever want to go out just ask? Pm's welcome. 

Offline rusty go0se

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #6 on: Dec 10, 2016, 07:23 AM »
I'll run up to Pontiac lake, crescent lake, Cass, Oakland, union. Lake sixteen in lake Orion. How is at bald mountain rec? I hunt there from time to time but never fished it

Offline Nipper2681

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #7 on: Dec 10, 2016, 06:04 PM »
Well gang I  committed the ice to be ready and at least 4" before the end of December. An optimist, aye? At least I am as good as the weathermen on TV.

If you wanted to take a kid out for a lot of fun and activity, I would recommend Prince lake. Loads of gills but mostly stunted in size. You might catch 100- 150 in 4-5 hours. So if you like activity that is your place. But that is what you would need to catch to get 25 keepers. West Graham Lake has large gills, Crappies and some Pike activity but slower in catches. There is another lake over there but it gets fished out within a month of first ice. Some guys get out there on 3" of ice but that is not worth it to me. Lakeville lake might get you half a days limit while on the ice.

I have eyed Alderman lake for ease in access.  I think that is where a guy and his 3 year old son broke through the ice and drowned last season. Anyone with experience over there?

I know fishermen love to keep their places a secret but I am hoping you guys will open up to a newbie in the area. Lake access seams to be a premium over here.

Offline chilly-willy

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #8 on: Dec 10, 2016, 06:08 PM »
I'll run up to Pontiac lake, crescent lake, Cass, Oakland, union. Lake sixteen in lake Orion. How is at bald mountain rec? I hunt there from time to time but never fished it

Pontiac lk and some of the others listed hold pike ,bass ,gills, crappie etc.. there is one out that way called maceday lk. That gets a plant of Lakers every now and then .we used to use the target range at Pontiac lk Rec area till they opened the range out here.. at island lk state park .. this whole are were were at is chalked full of lakes streching from Pontiac all the way to Jackson, mi... 1,000 of lakes there seen easily if you got a county map book.  But most are private some public but not all.. you can find the public listing on the mi dnr boating acess site on their michigan map.  Bas sites for short.

Offline rusty go0se

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #9 on: Dec 10, 2016, 07:34 PM »
Pontiac lk and some of the others listed hold pike ,bass ,gills, crappie etc.. there is one out that way called maceday lk. That gets a plant of Lakers every now and then .we used to use the target range at Pontiac lk Rec area till they opened the range out here.. at island lk state park .. this whole are were were at is chalked full of lakes streching from Pontiac all the way to Jackson, mi... 1,000 of lakes there seen easily if you got a county map book.  But most are private some public but not all.. you can find the public listing on the mi dnr boating acess site on their michigan map.  Bas sites for short.

Don't they stock it with lakers every year?

Offline chilly-willy

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #10 on: Dec 10, 2016, 07:56 PM »
Don't they stock it with lakers every year?

They might I have not looked at the stocking data yet  they might have there is also a possibility they did not.. buddy of mine told me they did fairly good there on tip ups a few years ago..

Offline river rat78

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #11 on: Dec 10, 2016, 08:37 PM »
I wouldn't really bother fishing Maceday for lakers. It's almost a guarantied waste of time. Me and a buddy refer it to Waste a Day lake and not Maceday for that very reason. That or maybe this lake has a very early morning bite.

Offline chilly-willy

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #12 on: Dec 10, 2016, 09:39 PM »
I have heard that but have heard other from guys I know so kind of a toss up.. but of course that was a while ago so can't really say that and it is a public lake how long do you think lakers will be un caught in that lake ?? that's why their stocking it all time.. same with spring mill pound ! I was there this spring there is not any trout in it now!!   I will tell you that much.. got to take it with a grain of salt any thing that is public your going to have tons of crowds and no fish no matter what.. if you get lucky you may get fish always a crap shoot..

Offline TeamWarhead

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #13 on: Dec 11, 2016, 07:51 AM »
Lakeville lake has easy access and is usually good for some nice gills and perch.  Plenty of action it you have young ones with you.

Offline river rat78

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #14 on: Dec 11, 2016, 11:21 AM »
I have heard that but have heard other from guys I know so kind of a toss up.. but of course that was a while ago so can't really say that and it is a public lake how long do you think lakers will be un caught in that lake ?? that's why their stocking it all time.. same with spring mill pound ! I was there this spring there is not any trout in it now!!   I will tell you that much.. got to take it with a grain of salt any thing that is public your going to have tons of crowds and no fish no matter what.. if you get lucky you may get fish always a crap shoot..
I know lakers get caught out of Maceday. I would just rather head North where I have a much better chance of hooking into one or a lot.

Offline chilly-willy

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #15 on: Dec 11, 2016, 04:58 PM »
I know lakers get caught out of Maceday. I would just rather head North where I have a much better chance of hooking into one or a lot.

Totally correct we do good in lake huron but the season closed in november so your sol if you catch one having to throw it back.  Cause of the lake trout management units on lake huron same thing on superior and lk.  michigan. They all got there dates and management units that why in land lakes are fun ..but it is what it is what can you do ..

Sorry it closed September 30  to jannauary 1

See link for more info..

http://www.eregulations.com/michigan/fishing/great-lakes-trout-splake-regulations/

Offline river rat78

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #16 on: Dec 11, 2016, 05:36 PM »

Totally correct we do good in lake huron but the season closed in november so your sol if you catch one having to throw it back.  Cause of the lake trout management units on lake huron same thing on superior and lk.  michigan. They all got there dates and management units that why in land lakes are fun ..but it is what it is what can you do ..

Sorry it closed September 30  to jannauary 1

See link for more info..

http://www.eregulations.com/michigan/fishing/great-lakes-trout-splake-regulations/
I wasn't sure when the season on them closes on Lake Huron but knew it opened back up January 1st. However I was catching them in a river which is open all year.

Offline rusty go0se

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #17 on: Dec 16, 2016, 07:56 AM »
Punched a few holes in a few lakes around town. 3 inches everywhere I've seen. Certainly fishable. I tend to wait for 4-5 inches (just a personal safety preference)

Offline Nipper2681

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #18 on: Dec 18, 2016, 09:25 PM »
Thanks Rusty for the ice thickness up date. I am with you. I won't go out until the ice is over 4" thick. I saw two guys out near the middle of Watkins Lake checking out the ice. With it as cold as it has been I am sure the lakes will be getting that thick shortly. I also saw several days ago, three ice sleds out on Pontiac Lake even with open visible water in the middle of the lake. They are gutsy fellows.

Offline rusty go0se

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #19 on: Dec 19, 2016, 05:29 PM »
Thanks Rusty for the ice thickness up date. I am with you. I won't go out until the ice is over 4" thick. I saw two guys out near the middle of Watkins Lake checking out the ice. With it as cold as it has been I am sure the lakes will be getting that thick shortly. I also saw several days ago, three ice sleds out on Pontiac Lake even with open visible water in the middle of the lake. They are gutsy fellows.

Seen 4 guys on crescent and a couple on pontiac today. I'll prolly try to cruise out there in the next couple days. Haven't fished before Christmas in quite some time

Offline BillyHoyleUSA7

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #20 on: Dec 19, 2016, 07:31 PM »
Got out on my lake in Brighton yesterday.  About 2 1/2 inches of black ice and 1 1/2 inches of white ice.  It's for sure good to go after today.
Nothing makes a fish bigger than almost being caught.

Offline walleyeslayer

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • fish obsessed
« Reply #21 on: Dec 21, 2016, 04:05 PM »
I fished on union lk this morning right off the boatlaunch on the 15 ft shelf 4 inches of black ice.  It cracked under my feet and I got scared lol.  I didn't go past the pressure crack
HeRE FisHIe FisHIE

Offline walleyeslayer

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • fish obsessed
« Reply #22 on: Dec 21, 2016, 04:12 PM »
On white lk i used to park at that party store opposite end of lake from the boatlaunch. Can people still park there?
HeRE FisHIe FisHIE

Offline Nipper2681

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #23 on: Dec 25, 2016, 02:56 PM »
Well I fished on Shoe Lake in Bald. Mtn. Rec area on Friday 12/16. We had 6" of ice with top 2" refrozen slush. This lake freezes early and fishes out within a month. My partner and I caught 25 gills and crappies total in 5 hrs. of fishing. Had a 9:00 am bite. However the fishing was slow as they only wanted to stare at our bait mostly. Hooking them was problematic. Fish were suspended 4-5' off the bottom of 13' hole. It looks like it will be pretty warm Sun- PM through Monday. Anyone looking for a fishing buddy, I think I will be interested in going out next Thur. 12/29 or Fri 12/30. Just let me know.

Offline walleyeslayer

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • fish obsessed
« Reply #24 on: Dec 25, 2016, 05:06 PM »
Do you know if ppl can park s t that party store on white lk?
HeRE FisHIe FisHIE

Offline wheres the fish

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #25 on: Dec 27, 2016, 11:22 AM »
i fished pettibone lake in milford we did ok. few 8in gills and some 10in skinny crappies.

Offline chilly-willy

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #26 on: Dec 27, 2016, 10:13 PM »
i fished pettibone lake in milford we did ok. few 8in gills and some 10in skinny crappies.

That is a good lake just carefull if it snows you notice the grade or incline of the road you came in on is very steep and if it ices up or snows you may have a accident trying to get there or leave that's why that lake don't get much pressure.. in winter..same with about 1000 othe lakes around here.. pickerel lake is on that same road if you know what I mean.. any how not a good road so just a heads up to those that venture off the beaten path..

Offline wheres the fish

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #27 on: Dec 29, 2016, 11:00 AM »
i liked the lake but the shoreline has soft spots from the black muck. two of us went thru the ice was really thick just not by the shoreline. i dont go out on lakes that deep unless there is thick ice. im too chicken. the hill is horrible definatley

Offline marauder2k

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #28 on: Jan 01, 2017, 10:25 PM »
Do you know if ppl can park s t that party store on white lk?

I live a few houses down from that party store. It's been closed for a few months now, and have seen people parking there, and at the trailer comm as well. I usually walk out on to the lake from the party store but be wary of the guy near by. Hates anyone fishing in front or near his house not sure whats up with him.

Only been fishing this area for a year or so. Itching to get out there if anyone is heading out I am game.

Offline river rat78

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #29 on: Jan 02, 2017, 11:09 AM »
I live a few houses down from that party store. It's been closed for a few months now, and have seen people parking there, and at the trailer comm as well. I usually walk out on to the lake from the party store but be wary of the guy near by. Hates anyone fishing in front or near his house not sure whats up with him.

Only been fishing this area for a year or so. Itching to get out there if anyone is heading out I am game.
As long as I'm fishing a public lake legally and someone tries to harass me about it you can bet I'm going to make a call to the DNR.

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.