Author Topic: Keeping bait at the lake  (Read 1085 times)

Offline merk42

• Team IceShanty Regular
Keeping bait at the lake
« on: Dec 06, 2016, 10:42 AM »
Hey Guys
Ponds are skimming over here in western NH... Looking for ideas on best ways to keep our bait at the bobhouse and still have good access to them. Anyone have a good system to share....

Offline winnisquam guy

• Team IceShanty Maniac
Re: Keeping bait at the lake
« Reply #1 on: Dec 06, 2016, 05:42 PM »
bait bucket down the hole in the shack, center the rope for easy cut out

Offline Roccus

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #2 on: Dec 07, 2016, 08:29 AM »
 screw top olive jugs with multiple 1/4" holes drilled... put the rope through the bottom  ( drilled in the center) do the  same with the insert on the top... run the riope through the threaded collar... a length of PVC pipe slid on the rope keeps it from being cut.. a small rock ( I use 1/2 of a brick) helps it sink...

I use these for eel keepers in the summer under the dock and to store smelt in them during the  winter....
"A mans got to know his limitations"

Offline NH Trout Fisherman

• IceShanty Mod Team
  • Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #3 on: Dec 07, 2016, 09:07 AM »
screw top olive jugs with multiple 1/4" holes drilled... put the rope through the bottom  ( drilled in the center) do the  same with the insert on the top... run the riope through the threaded collar... a length of PVC pipe slid on the rope keeps it from being cut.. a small rock ( I use 1/2 of a brick) helps it sink...

I use these for eel keepers in the summer under the dock and to store smelt in them during the  winter....

Great advice. I've done something similar in the past

Offline ishoot308

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #4 on: Dec 07, 2016, 02:58 PM »
Here's what I do...

I use a Lindy bait tamer, (they cost about $20.00 and last forever). Cut a hole with your ice auger and put bait tamer down hole with about 6' of rope that is attached to a 2"x4" across the top of the hole. Let this freeze over permanently. When you want to access bait simply drill a new hole right next to existing hole and use coat hanger or similar (I use an electricians snake spool) to hook rope and pull bait net up newly drilled hole. By doing this your never chipping out old hole by hand to access bait. My bait stays in lake all winter and I replenish as needed. Works slick!

Dan

Offline Nosaj

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #5 on: Dec 07, 2016, 03:30 PM »
Here's what I do...

I use a Lindy bait tamer, (they cost about $20.00 and last forever). Cut a hole with your ice auger and put bait tamer down hole with about 6' of rope that is attached to a 2"x4" across the top of the hole. Let this freeze over permanently. When you want to access bait simply drill a new hole right next to existing hole and use coat hanger or similar (I use an electricians snake spool) to hook rope and pull bait net up newly drilled hole. By doing this your never chipping out old hole by hand to access bait. My bait stays in lake all winter and I replenish as needed. Works slick!

Dan

I like it.

Offline LakerNewb

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #6 on: Dec 07, 2016, 06:27 PM »
I've had old coworkers run a 12-16" piece of 6" pvc with a cap on one end and a cleanout on the other, drill some holes for aeration, and either run rope or steel braided cable, drop it a few feet down and tie off to a stick or piece of 2x4. Like others suggested send it down and drill a hole next to it and access bait. Enjoy and good luck!
Oh the weather outside is frightful but the cusk are so delightful, long as I can't feel my toes! Let snow let it snow let it snow!

Offline Capt. Black

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • "Deserves got nothing to do with it."
« Reply #7 on: Dec 08, 2016, 11:46 AM »
bait bucket down the hole in the shack, center the rope for easy cut out

We do the same thing only use a chain instead of rope. Pull the handle off a 5 gal bucket, run handle through chain, replace handle. Make sure you have it plainly marked with your name and address. Drill several holes through top third of bucket and through cover for water and o2 flow, put brick or rocks at bottom. We've kept bait for several weeks. Good luck, stay safe.

Offline merk42

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #8 on: Dec 09, 2016, 08:05 AM »
Thanks guys, great suggestions, much appreciated... Headed up to the lake for the first time yesterday, brought my binos thinking i might see a late loon or some other waterfowl.... Well to my greatest surprise, the lake was totally frozen over.... 1 inch of milky ice.... the dachshunds mozied right out on it, but the Shepherd was real cautious and stayed near shore... Smart girl... with the upcoming temps, could be fishing in a week or so... no rush, not looking for a swim... or worse... Stay safe all, and thanks for the ideas...

Offline winnisquam guy

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #9 on: Dec 10, 2016, 07:14 AM »
We do the same thing only use a chain instead of rope. Pull the handle off a 5 gal bucket, run handle through chain, replace handle. Make sure you have it plainly marked with your name and address. Drill several holes through top third of bucket and through cover for water and o2 flow, put brick or rocks at bottom. We've kept bait for several weeks. Good luck, stay safe.
chain is good. I can't tell you how many times I cut my rope chiseling out the hole.

Offline Capt. Black

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • "Deserves got nothing to do with it."
« Reply #10 on: Dec 10, 2016, 08:05 AM »
chain is good. I can't tell you how many times I cut my rope chiseling out the hole.

Same here. Haven't had to worry about cutting the chain. ;)

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.