Author Topic: Whats your favorite thing to cook on while ice fishing?  (Read 18854 times)

Offline sjord89

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • get reel
ive been thinking about getting a little propane camp grill for doing burgers and stuff... anyone that has experience with them recommend a certain one? pros/cons?
If you drill it, they will come...

Offline stripernut

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Tight Lines!
Re: Whats your favorite thing to cook on while ice fishing?
« Reply #1 on: Dec 06, 2016, 10:00 AM »
For me; Let your friends cook on the ice, I don't stop fishing long enough to eat more than a granola bar when fishing...

Offline hardwater diehard

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceshantyInsanity
« Reply #2 on: Dec 06, 2016, 10:12 AM »
KIS ...Keep It Simple....brats ...dogs ...basically anything you can heat and eat and don't have to keep your eyes on ...I have a lil cast iron pan put my brats in with some beer...cooks as I jig ...tend to tip ups etc ...dollar store bread pans and the aluminum foil inserts are good for home made chilly ...lil stirring from time to time ....also soft taco shells work great ...fold burrito style ...no plates needed.
Give a man a fish he eats for a day .Teach a man to ice fish he has an obsession for a lifetime

Offline ActiveTrapChecker

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #3 on: Dec 06, 2016, 10:30 AM »
ive been thinking about getting a little propane camp grill for doing burgers and stuff... anyone that has experience with them recommend a certain one? pros/cons?

This summer I bought the Coleman grill/stove combo. Initially bought it for camping so that I could have a burner, even though the grill is much smaller. Camping, I was able to cook using the campfire. I hope it works out on the hard water

Offline sjord89

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • get reel
« Reply #4 on: Dec 06, 2016, 10:34 AM »
KIS ...Keep It Simple....brats ...dogs ...basically anything you can heat and eat and don't have to keep your eyes on ...I have a lil cast iron pan put my brats in with some beer...cooks as I jig ...tend to tip ups etc ...dollar store bread pans and the aluminum foil inserts are good for home made chilly ...lil stirring from time to time ....also soft taco shells work great ...fold burrito style ...no plates needed.
^ sounds good. Im all about keeping it simple.

Offline Cantgetenough

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #5 on: Dec 06, 2016, 12:57 PM »
I have a small portable charcoal grill that cost $15.00. That and some match light charcoal(I fill a gallon ziplock with charcoal) put it in the grill a bungie straps it to the top of a bucket. I do Johnsonville grillers and Rosen onion rolls. Hits the spot every time....dam now I'm hungry ;D ;D ;D
Heres a link to the grill--Note legs fold up and the handle locks the top in place.
https://www.walmart.com/ip/Backyard-Grill-14.5-Round-Portable-Charcoal-Grill/37850142
Be Safe, Be Smart, Have a Great Time!!!

Offline HardWaterHunter1

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #6 on: Dec 06, 2016, 01:01 PM »
Burgers,Brats and ribs wrapped in foil from the leftover bin in the fridge ;D
Fish all you can.

Offline Ice Scratcher

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #7 on: Dec 06, 2016, 01:02 PM »
For me; Let your friends cook on the ice, I don't stop fishing long enough to eat more than a granola bar when fishing...

That's me, if I'm fishing, I don't need anything, fishing is my fuel... I don't even bother to drink a beer, because it just ends up frozen because I don't drink it fast enough...

Once I'm off the ice, nothing is safe..

<°)))>{

Offline iowapackfan

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #8 on: Dec 06, 2016, 02:39 PM »
;D ;D works for me as well. I might bring along a bag of jerky occasionally but that's about it @) :tipup:
God,Country, and the Green Bay Packers

Offline 800stealth

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #9 on: Dec 06, 2016, 03:23 PM »
I like to bring out hardy comfort food that I can just heat and eat... Small disposable bread pans work great, fill with shepard's pie, baked ziti, beans and sausage, mac and cheese, casserole type stuff... Sticks to the ribs and only have a crumpled up pan and a plastic fork to carry out. I use my buddy heater to warm stuff up.
"May your lines be tight and never be tangled" (old Frankish Proverb)  Guinea 2021

Offline Curley

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Hardwater Nut!
« Reply #10 on: Dec 06, 2016, 05:25 PM »
I've always had a weber to go grill. costs more than the cheaper ones, but it has a built in igniter.(I don't smoke so no lighter) About 60 bucks. It also only lets in so much air. doesn't seem to have as many flair ups and will last many years.
I've dragged a Colman stove at times for those trips when I only want coffee or some eggs. Going to try a jet boil for coffee and espresso this year.

Offline stinkyfingers

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #11 on: Dec 06, 2016, 08:24 PM »
Got a little backpack stove that burns the little propane/isobutane canisters. Pure propane is hard to keep lit at 11,000' where I fish. Have a jumbo enamel cup for a cook pot in which I boil water to make fancy ramen noodle bowls. Add a little diced chicken or pork and a hot feast awaits. I fish with deadsticks mostly with DIY JawJackers to set the hook. Usually, when I get to the critical stage in cooking, the snapper goes off and I need to pause a few minutes to go reel in the fish. Set. repeat. enjoy.
We're born, we live for a while, and then we die.  Sounds like a good reason to go ice fishing.
                                                               Stinky

Offline captain54

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #12 on: Dec 06, 2016, 08:35 PM »
I use to cook big elaborate meal when I was younger. It waste a lot of fishing time. Now big fan of snacks,cubed cheese,deer hot sticks,goose hot sticks,deer jerky,smoked steelhead, all hot food is just reheated not cooked,I made a top grate for my buddy heater or have a very small one burner stove and a frying pan. Chili,soup, deer sausage reheats easy.Ham and cheese wrapped in foil is quick and easy. I still like the snack food best,just nibble all day.

Offline HardWaterHunter1

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #13 on: Dec 07, 2016, 08:54 AM »
I want to fish with Captain54 :bow: :tipup:
Fish all you can.

Offline captain54

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #14 on: Dec 07, 2016, 10:05 AM »
Anytime Hardwaterhunter1. My cousin lives in Minnesota and been begging me to come out. He probably misses my snacks.lol. Next Monday I'm going to make a 10 lbs of deer jerky. That stuff never last long.

Offline campingonh2o

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #15 on: Dec 07, 2016, 10:24 AM »
Small grill and make up shish kabobs ahead of time. Favorite is using pre-cooked flavored brats 2-3 different kinds. Cut 1" long pc and put onions, peppers etc. between brats on shish kabob stick then wrap in alum foil to keep em fresh and to save uneaten on ice. When all done only have a stick and small foil to get rid of. Cant beat food on a stick, if gets cold can hold over heater to warm pc's up later in the day.

Offline sjord89

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • get reel
« Reply #16 on: Dec 07, 2016, 10:36 AM »
some good ideas for the grill and sounds like i should also rig my buddy heater up with a tray to warm cooked food, thanks for the info. the brat-kebobs sound good

Offline ICEHOLE

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • INSTAGRAM: MATTACHUSETTS
« Reply #17 on: Dec 07, 2016, 10:47 AM »
heater buddy! I  bought a $1 pain roller grate from Walmart and bent it up to make a cooking surface for the top of my buddy.I like to put premade food in tin load pans and reheat, mac n cheese being my favorite, but it will get hot enough to cook something up. one of my favorite pieces of equipment when i am out

Offline Ice Scratcher

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #18 on: Dec 07, 2016, 11:09 AM »
No that I do, but if I did...

I would bring a pack of buns and a rewarm some pulled pork, or sloppy joe.. Or a bowl of chilli..

<°)))>{

Offline shawn30

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #19 on: Dec 07, 2016, 12:52 PM »
I've used the Coleman CAMP PROPANE GRILL/STOVE a number of times. It has a small burner and a small grill. Works fine and has held up over the years banging around in the back of the truck going car camping. My favorite are the Coleman 2 burner Liquid fuel stoves. The only thing I've taken on the ice though is a pocket rocket and iso fuel can.

Offline bart

• Team IceShantyholic
  • I love you, Deb
« Reply #20 on: Dec 07, 2016, 05:39 PM »
I haven't been cooking on the ice, I reheat my meals on my Mr. Heater; Mac & Cheese, Franks and beans, omelet, and also sausage, onion and peppers...
Doesn't interfere with fishing...

Piping hot coffee...

Clean up is a snap!
"Many fish their entire lives without knowing that it is not fish they are after."-Henry David Thoreau
  Keep America Godly...

Offline ICEHOLE

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • INSTAGRAM: MATTACHUSETTS
« Reply #21 on: Dec 07, 2016, 05:54 PM »
I haven't been cooking on the ice, I reheat my meals on my Mr. Heater; Mac & Cheese, Franks and beans, omelet, and also sausage, onion and peppers... (Image removed from quote.)
Doesn't interfere with fishing...

Piping hot coffee...

Clean up is a snap!

This is the way to go! For my hotdogs I just boil water in the morning fill my thermos with hotdogs and pour in the boiling water and seal it up until lunch. When you open it up you have hot delicious dogs ready to go! P.S. dont use plumping hot dogs  :P

Offline bart

• Team IceShantyholic
  • I love you, Deb
« Reply #22 on: Dec 07, 2016, 07:54 PM »
This is the way to go! For my hotdogs I just boil water in the morning fill my thermos with hotdogs and pour in the boiling water and seal it up until lunch. When you open it up you have hot delicious dogs ready to go! P.S. dont use plumping hot dogs  :P

Great idea! I have to check to see if hotdogs will fit in my soup thermos...
"Many fish their entire lives without knowing that it is not fish they are after."-Henry David Thoreau
  Keep America Godly...

Offline Hemingweigh

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #23 on: Dec 07, 2016, 09:10 PM »
Jetboil is by far the easiest way to have a hot meal in less than 15 minutes.

Offline jammer icecube

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Danbury Fish & Game Hardwater Tour
« Reply #24 on: Dec 07, 2016, 09:21 PM »
Blackfish grilled and sea bass chowder…all the good stuff caught a week before ice starts. My hunting boys hook us up with back straps and no complaints.
Striper Nut, a granola bar is not gonna cut it on 12 to 24 hour ventures.

Offline Nosaj

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #25 on: Dec 07, 2016, 09:29 PM »
Venison Back straps in a HOT frying pan with butter, rosemary, black pepper, garlic, salt and onion!!!!!

Offline fisher97

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #26 on: Dec 07, 2016, 11:33 PM »
Oh boy this is one of the best parts of ice fishing to me. I use like a coleman grill and depending on the time of day it's anything from bacon and eggs and coffee/tea in a kettle for breakfast to hot dogs, all types of brats, burgers, chili, maybe some cut up potatoes in foil, pretty much anything...man I can't wait.

Offline stripernut

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Tight Lines!
« Reply #27 on: Dec 08, 2016, 07:43 AM »
Striper Nut, a granola bar is not gonna cut it on 12 to 24 hour ventures.

You are right, I end up eating more than one... I often bring a sleeve of Ritz Crackers and some dehydrated fruit on the long days (I am always trying to remind myself to drink, so I don't get dehydrated). It is all about your style of fishing . There is nothing wrong with either style, one where you set up and then sit back and have time to heat up a meal. For me when I fishing, I am always going, cutting new holes, jigging, moving tilts, hunting new spots for fish... On days when I have brought a sandwich, most of the time it does not get eaten until I am on the drive home.  Don't get me wrong, I live to eat and have the waistline to prove it... But no matter how much time I spend fishing, it is never enough, so like sleep, I will get plenty when I am dead, I take the time to eat when not fishing...

As I have said before, one of the greatest things about this sport is we can all "take" different things from it, there are those that find great joy in catching crappies and sunfish all day and night, others that love to pull a big bucket mouth thru a hole and yet others that are happy to wait for the bite of a big pike... None are wrong, whether it is the fish catching or the social part of ice fishing, so long as we have fun and don't play loud music near other anglers! So, "bon appetit" and we all look forward the the words "FLAG!"

Offline Old Goat

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #28 on: Dec 08, 2016, 09:17 AM »
Got a little backpack stove that burns the little propane/isobutane canisters. Pure propane is hard to keep lit at 11,000' where I fish. Have a jumbo enamel cup for a cook pot in which I boil water to make fancy ramen noodle bowls. Add a little diced chicken or pork and a hot feast awaits. I fish with deadsticks mostly with DIY JawJackers to set the hook. Usually, when I get to the critical stage in cooking, the snapper goes off and I need to pause a few minutes to go reel in the fish. Set. repeat. enjoy.

X2

Offline UFCreel

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #29 on: Dec 08, 2016, 10:37 AM »
Johnsonville's  :o
Flags up! Bobbers down!

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.