Author Topic: Jawjacker  (Read 805 times)

Offline Bearseatfish

• Team IceShanty Regular
Jawjacker
« on: Dec 06, 2016, 08:22 AM »
I was looking to get a few jaw jackers this year. Do any of you have them if so how do you like them? pro's,con's?

In winter we become gods and walk on water....

Offline Running for flags

• Team IceShanty Regular
Re: Jawjacker
« Reply #1 on: Dec 06, 2016, 08:35 AM »
Yes I have made a few diy ines cause I can make them lighter and to my liking. I have heard good things about them have also heard that they miss a lot of fish as well.
Wait there's ice????

Offline MikeSJ

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #2 on: Dec 06, 2016, 08:52 AM »
I have 2.  The good:  Once you get it dialed in, your hookup rate will be darn near 100 per cent.  When they hook a fish, it's usually in the lip, not down their throat ;D  The not so good:  Don't let the trip mechanism get wet and freeze.  Also, make sure your line is straight (no coils) and loosen your drag a bit so when it trips the fish won't break off or your hook won't bend.    Ask me how I know ::) :o  I love em

Mike

Offline manitron

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #3 on: Dec 06, 2016, 09:00 AM »
I was looking to get a few jaw jackers this year. Do any of you have them if so how do you like them? pro's,con's?

I own a set and they are well designed.They fold up nice and small for transport and are durable even though they are plastic.There is a learning curve to using them effectively involving bait presentation and proper rod selection.Your catch rate will dramatically improve once you learn the basics. The website touches on most of the techniques and variables that affect catch rate. I like them and recommend them for trout fishing .   Manny
Being on ice is nice but the tug is the drug.

Offline stinkyfingers

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #4 on: Dec 06, 2016, 09:25 AM »
My style of fishing is deadstick heavy so snapper type hook setters play a big role. For Northerns, I like the Jawjackers and a stiffish rod, braid, yoke style quick strike rigs. For trout, I use ones that I made myself some years ago that are more sensitive but work like a charm. For one thing, they allow me to spread out my presentation so I don't need to be right next to the rod when the fish hits. Also, I get bored easily while jigging. So I set up the rigs nearby with a little clip-on bell and then retire to my shelter to cook up a hot bowl of fancy ramen or other delicacy to enjoy, knowing that someone is still minding the store. That's the Stinky style of fishing. Don't know if anyone else has noticed just how boring ice fishing can be.
We're born, we live for a while, and then we die.  Sounds like a good reason to go ice fishing.
                                                               Stinky

BrookieSlayer99

« Reply #5 on: Dec 06, 2016, 09:30 AM »
Where can you get these? And what specific type of rod do you guys use for shallow water rainbows? I've heard that a 26-28" medium action is good for shallow rainbows and a size 6 gamakatsu octopus. Can anyone chime in on this?

Offline AQUAASSASSIN

• Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #6 on: Dec 06, 2016, 09:51 AM »
26"-30" M-ML is ideal here in NH for trout. Gamy Hook size I will bounce between size 6-10 depending on bait. You can get them about anywhere
You count your years by the Winters.

It’s not being Cocky if you can back it up.

Offline AQUAASSASSIN

• Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #7 on: Dec 06, 2016, 09:55 AM »
Also rods with a good backbone and fast to extra faster taper or tip work better than Parabolic rods

Offline zwiggles

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #8 on: Dec 06, 2016, 11:37 AM »
I just picked up two fof m cabelas on Black Friday. I was wondering the same thing about the rods, and thanks AA for providing some insight. Most recommendations I found on the internet were for 30" medium-heavy rods, and I'm glad to hear from someone with experience giving some insight.

One question I do have is does anyone use them for targeting lake trout over deeper water? I was thinking it would make the typical 18" winni laker a lot more fun on a rod. Anyone tried that before?

Offline AQUAASSASSIN

• Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #9 on: Dec 06, 2016, 11:58 AM »
 Yeah Med. heavy is overkill for sure and will rip lips.

Jaw jackers Work fine in deeper water for the lakers. Only thing I do if I'm deep is change the reel I use. I switch out my preferred braid to a full reel of flouro. I do this because a micro barrel swivel does wonders a few feet up but then you only have a 2' leader before the swivel screws you in your guides fine for shallow bows but I feel better knowing the lakers can't see braid right there. Does it matter? Maybe not but it gives me more confidence to fish harder so it's worth it

Offline stinkyfingers

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #10 on: Dec 06, 2016, 12:03 PM »
Where can you get these? And what specific type of rod do you guys use for shallow water rainbows? I've heard that a 26-28" medium action is good for shallow rainbows and a size 6 gamakatsu octopus. Can anyone chime in on this?
JawJacker themselves sell several series of rods for the type of fishing you're doing. Don't want to go too heavy or too light. Call them Goldilocks rods.
We're born, we live for a while, and then we die.  Sounds like a good reason to go ice fishing.
                                                               Stinky

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.