The ice fishing PA boards are sponsored by:

Author Topic: Where would you fish??  (Read 1075 times)

Offline jchab412

• IceShanty Rookie
Where would you fish??
« on: Dec 05, 2016, 06:26 PM »
Hey fellas, so im gonna be staying at my uncles cabin for a weekend once we get some good ice. He lives in utica pa right on french creek,about 10 mins from franklin. I know there is a bunch of lakes within an hour of his place, only question is which one to fish? Mainly looking to catch panfish and bass, but ill take whatever, just lookin for some good action.any help/advice is much appreciated!!

Offline Buttonbuckslayer!

• Team IceShanty Regular
Re: Where would you fish??
« Reply #1 on: Dec 05, 2016, 06:44 PM »
I'd hit a bunch of different lakes.  I'd probably hit with lake Arthor, Pymatuming and Presquile depending on conditions.

Offline jchab412

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #2 on: Dec 05, 2016, 07:04 PM »
I've only started ice fishing 2 winters ago so im still fairly new to it all. Ive done most of my fishing at arthur and ive done ok there. Pymy is intriguing, only fished it a couple times in open water.

Offline Nate9292

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #3 on: Dec 05, 2016, 07:23 PM »
Lake Arthur, Kahle Lake, Two Mile Run. I enjoy Lake Arthur the most, but all are good lakes.

Offline slider

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Hardwater Nut!
« Reply #4 on: Dec 05, 2016, 08:03 PM »

To figureout the different locations get a decent map
If you keep an eye on Lake Arthur posts  you can pretty much see where the crowds are fishing
And most of all there is Usually regulars to the lake will be more than happy to help you out

Offline TIME2FISH

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #5 on: Dec 05, 2016, 09:04 PM »
Lake Wilhelm is the closest one to try, about 9 or 10 miles from Utica. "The 1,680-acre Lake Wilhelm is a warmwater fishery. Common species are largemouth bass, walleye, crappie, muskellunge, bluegill, catfish, perch and sunfish," - according to the PA DCNR. 

"Age is an issue of mind over matter. If you don't mind, it doesn't matter." - Mark Twain

Offline jchab412

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #6 on: Dec 05, 2016, 09:18 PM »
Yea i was thinking of trying wilhelm. Kahle sounds like it has a good panfish population, plus its not so huge like the others mentioned

Offline icecube

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Ice Fishing Rulez!
« Reply #7 on: Dec 06, 2016, 10:52 AM »
  Wilhelm, Kahle, Sugar, Woodcock, Two Mile lakes are handy to Utica. 

Offline captain54

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #8 on: Dec 06, 2016, 08:10 PM »
Kahle very impressive perch just not numbers. Lake Arthur, bass on tip-ups, tons of panfish gills 7 inch is a big one most will be smaller but numbers are ridiculous. Crappie of giant size but not numbers,decent perch but not numbers. Pymy a lot of lake and tough to fish,long walks and hit or miss my catch is usually mixed half perch half crappie. Shenango,tons of crappie easy to fish,fish of all size mixed 4-15 inch crappie numbers are easy on this lake.P.L..Erie big water pumpkin seeds,gills crappie in misery bay,good numbers some days plus decent size. Perch seem to be just about the middle of the main bay in deeper water. They can be fussy some days, clean plastics works well in the bay. Camera is nice also,water is usually very clear. Steelhead,pike, L. mouth bass are a bonus. Wilhelm was a favorite lake of mine years ago but I've not fished it in 10-12 years.

Offline JPascavage52

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #9 on: Dec 07, 2016, 10:56 AM »
Sounds like you are going to be in a central position to many good lakes, all of the ones that have been mentioned previously are good. I would add Conneaut and Canadohta, those aren't too far, but have some nice panfish and predatory fish as well.

Kahle is a good bet, there are some huge panfish in there if you can find them, plus nice bass and walleye. The key to fishing here is to find the creek channel, in this area the depth drops off to the maximum of 40 feet, fish the drop off until you find some schools.

If Presque Isle is ready when you come, it is definitely worth the drive, the numbers there can be insane, plus knowing that you are fishing where the state record perch was caught last spring. Misery Bay can be good, but I like to wait until the rest of the bay freezes, and fish off the city side.
Pro staff for:

Liquid Mayhem
Titan Tungsten
Lunker City
Toad Thumper Lures

Youtube channel:
www.youtube.com/johnpascavagefishing/videos

Offline ducksnbucks36

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #10 on: Dec 07, 2016, 12:17 PM »
If you're fairly new to ice fishing I'd stick to Arthur or Presque isle on the weed edge ice permitting.  Arthur you're at least guranteed to spend the day jigging up blue gills while waiting for a flag.  There are big cappy there, and big gills you just have to sort through some little gills for the big gills. There's also some good perch in the lake, and if you're feeling adventurous go for pike.  Pyme you have to have some decent knowledge about the winter patterns and what's hot at the lake and still then it''s hit or miss. Presque isle weed edge is always hot. 

Offline perchmanbo

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #11 on: Dec 08, 2016, 10:37 AM »
Presque is my favorite, nice gills and perch and crappie in Misery Bay which is usually the first to freeze over. Be prepared for the occaisional steelie. Good spots on the main bay also. Sight fishing at the head of the bay during late ice is a blast. Shenango when the crappie bite is on is great, flood control lake, slam fish for days then dead for a while then back on again. Wilhelm, the closest to you was my favorite 15-20yrs ago for big gills and crappies then the lake seemed to go dead for quite a while. Heard a few reports last few years of a few more fish being caught, hope she comes back. Used to hunt around Utica years back, nice area. Good Luck, BO

Offline Studfishing

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #12 on: Dec 13, 2016, 08:53 PM »
Where are these lakes at, that towns are they close to. I'm looking for some where to ice fish. I'm form York pa and I drive all over places fishing

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.