Author Topic: Who's gonna get on the ice first!..and think safety!  (Read 2214 times)

Offline eiderz

• IceShanty Mod Team
  • Team IceShanty Maniac
Who's gonna get on the ice first!..and think safety!
« on: Dec 05, 2016, 12:17 PM »
If the weather is as cold as predicted later this week, there may well be ice on certain small ponds in the NW corner by Saturday/Sunday. It's early and any ice will for sure be marginal at best but I'm excited! Last year stunk. >:(

Now's the time to start thinking about your ice safety gear. The buddy system, throw rope, ice picks and a spud bar...minimum! Ice fishing veterans go through this ritual every year, it's part of the sport. For the newbies, please fish with an experienced ice angler, especially on early or late season ice. Search the site for discussions on early ice and ice safety. Take a look at the links in this post: http://www.iceshanty.com/ice_fishing/index.php?topic=152333.msg1489545#msg1489545

Every year there are posts regarding frighteningly close calls, or worse. Don't be one of them, if the your inner voice says don't go, listen. Always check the ice for yourself, ice condition posts on the internet do not qualify the ice as "safe". Your safety is your responsibility.

OK, old guy lecture over. Let's have a safe and fun season! Bring it on! :thumbsup: :icefish:

Offline Fishermen

• Team IceShanty Regular
Re: Who's gonna get on the ice first!..and think safety!
« Reply #1 on: Dec 07, 2016, 05:19 AM »
Safety is first and foremost no need to rush it's just the beginning

Offline Flatland

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #2 on: Dec 07, 2016, 08:54 AM »
Good advice. It's easy to put the cart before the horse when we get excited about the prospect of getting back out there.   :tipup: :tipup: :tipup:

Offline octanehi5

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Work was made for people who can't fish, I'm retir
« Reply #3 on: Dec 07, 2016, 12:13 PM »
looks like we are going to get our wish the next two week looks nice and cold,we may be on some small ponds before Christmas in Ct. as always safety first :tipup:

Offline iowapackfan

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #4 on: Dec 07, 2016, 12:22 PM »
 :o took a short drive in the country this morning and found some skim ice on several small ponds and some creeks. I guess this means we're headin in the right directiion  temp. wise. I don't usually venture out till we have at least 4-5 in. of good ice. Too many ponds around here have underground springs running into them.  As always ;D :tipup:SAFETY FIRST!
God,Country, and the Green Bay Packers

Offline Curley

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Hardwater Nut!
« Reply #5 on: Dec 07, 2016, 06:18 PM »
We need 2 weeks of good cold with low to no wind to get a good layer of safe ice. Hoping for the 26th.

Offline icechaser

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #6 on: Dec 07, 2016, 07:28 PM »
I may take a drive up to checkout some of those shallow northwest small ponds next weekend if we stay in the 30's during the day.-Hi all!

Offline KUBES90

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Hog Livin'
« Reply #7 on: Dec 07, 2016, 09:45 PM »
Ill be lucky if im in town for any of January.  It would be a true christmas miracle for me  if we are able to get out on hardwater in december. Heres to hoping

"And I'll be catching them northern pike like on a 10 pound test"- Kid Rock

Offline icechaser

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #8 on: Dec 09, 2016, 09:39 AM »
If the weathermen ain't lyin' to us; I'm going north on Friday; not today-next Friday.Inaugural pond TBD. The shelter; the gear; my brother+ a bit of venison chili will be there! Flags+ jigging will happen within a week if the weather outlook is correct. Maybe even a few mid-sized ponds will have 3-4 inches by next weekend: here's to hopin'!-I've been dusting off the gear+jig boxes+ tipups-time to fix it up& get it ready again! And yes; both me AND my brother will have emergency spikes on our suits!-And we will make sure the ice is closer to 4 inches; not 3 before we venture out to fish.

Offline BWB-ice

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #9 on: Dec 09, 2016, 11:19 AM »
Gettin the itch BAD!

I've been working up in Mass all week and notice a few of the smaller ponds frozen and the larger lakes with ice all along the shore. To anyone venturing out in the next couple of weeks best of luck and please be safe! Remember that edge ice can be 4-5 inches thick but there are always areas of extremely thin ice so keep spudding your way around!
"If I fished only to capture fish, my fishing trips would have ended long ago". Zane Grey

"The water you touch in a river is the last of that which has passed, and the first of that which is coming; thus it is with time". Leonardo DaVinci

Offline 4ssss

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #10 on: Dec 09, 2016, 11:55 AM »
Beaver pond down the road from me in Plymouth is iced over this morning.

Offline P.Dona

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • ><((((º> Bring on the ice!!
« Reply #11 on: Dec 09, 2016, 02:35 PM »
[

[/quote]
I bump this video up all the time!
My bro will be looking for safe ice in upper NH this weekend  ;D

Offline octanehi5

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Work was made for people who can't fish, I'm retir
« Reply #12 on: Dec 09, 2016, 02:45 PM »
upstate ny will be ready this weekend

Offline metalfish

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #13 on: Dec 09, 2016, 03:28 PM »
Takin a ride!!

Offline eiderz

• IceShanty Mod Team
  • Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #14 on: Dec 09, 2016, 05:11 PM »
Takin a ride!!

Best of luck metalfish. Stay safe. I look forward to a report. ;D

Offline eiderz

• IceShanty Mod Team
  • Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #15 on: Dec 09, 2016, 05:59 PM »
Loaded statement,  which I hope is backed by some sort of fact other than Combsy saing he went.  Only for the sake of any newer people that might take your post too literally. Sure some spots outside of lake effect areas if you don't mind 2.5"-3" and random small bodies of water...

That said, if I was anyone not familar with the area I would wait a week before venturing based of reports on the web.  Moreover I'm hitting NH not NY especially with the lake effect machine going the way it is.  There is a good reason for that.

We're all cranked up to get on the ice. Octane is an experienced ice angler, and no doubt based his statement on information provided by upstate NY friends. On the other hand lowaccord has a valid point, it's difficult to make a blanket statement about regional ice conditions. Bottom line is that every individual is responsible for their own safety, don't trust your life to internet posts. Use your head and be cautious with ice conditions at any time in the season. Let's all have an enjoyable and safe icefishing season.  ;D  :tipup:

Offline jammer icecube

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Danbury Fish & Game Hardwater Tour
« Reply #16 on: Dec 09, 2016, 06:21 PM »
Im headed upstate NY on the 26th for four days but i know the place I'm going,i will hit CT first if its a descent body of water…….if not go COD fishing. I have been working in Litchfield,Northfield and Goshen the past week and it never got above 31. Its a good sign with the weather pattern but i rather not go to a dead pond to say i got out and i fish on silly thin ice. Next weekend will tell the story for CT, check the other state boards and if you have knowledgable contacts that is your best resource.Everyone has the itch so give it a week or ten days to scratch but out of state license is huge.

Offline imsafanct

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #17 on: Dec 09, 2016, 07:26 PM »
I'm looking forward to first ice for sure. The past two years were duds for me early on so I'm hoping this year will be different. I want to experience the first ice pike success everyone raves about and grab a walleye or two as well. I can't wait to get on the ice at Pachaug as I had a nice Fall there this year with pike from the yak.

I'll be patient though. No need to get wet. Plus I've had two good pike days at White Oak the last two weekends. I may need to do one more trip there in open water with that one crazy awesome lure that myself and another lunatic on this forum use before I shift into ice mode.

-Eric

Offline Spoondangler

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #18 on: Dec 09, 2016, 09:18 PM »
gonna be a min here in the NW corner.  I was on my boat on twin on Tuesday and it was 41-42 degrees water temp.  Ill check Wood Creek in norfolk in the coming week and report my findings, but the coldest days have been super windy.  Thats gonna cool that water quickly, but not help with an initial freeze.  Also the cold temps coming are mostly just under freezing daytime highs, like to see some 20s and teens.  As excited as anyone to get out there.

Offline androux

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #19 on: Dec 11, 2016, 05:48 PM »
Mmmm, saw on the color box that colebrook was at 2 degrees this morning. I work in Bantam and pass a few ponds on my way to work, been locked shore to shore with skim ice, on the small ponds, nothing on bigger water, the rain tomorrow will turn skim into ugh, but the start of ice is there. I'll take a drive around Friday and let ya'll know... My deer season is past me, too cold for bow shooting, and it is time for walking.....
A smart person would watch the few that ventured to the ice sheet, the daring would follow in their boot prints, but the pioneers would already be heading to where they belong.

Offline imsafanct

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #20 on: Dec 11, 2016, 06:14 PM »
Trust me this year will be different for you my friend.  As far as early ice by me, the wind did a number on things.  There maybe one spot up past me thats ready if you lie dink bass.  Setting is nice though.

Can you bring back a couple of those black and gold toothy beauties you wrangled through the ice today to Connecticut, so I can call one of them my first ice "pike"? Hellavu fish brother!

-Eric

Offline imsafanct

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #21 on: Dec 11, 2016, 08:05 PM »
OH YEAH! That's what I'm talkin' about! If that doesn't get you twitching and drooling for first ice, I don't know what will! Did that beast tear up your delicate typing fingers a little there buddy? I think I see some Jon blood in that pic!

-Eric

Offline Ravo Himself

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #22 on: Dec 11, 2016, 08:15 PM »
Is that a hybrid? Looks way too stripey to be just a northern
The BIG one is just one flag away!

Species caught : largemouth, smallmouth,  bluegill, perch, White perch, crappie, trout, catfish, bowfin, pickerel, pike

-Ryan-

Offline bb400guy

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #23 on: Dec 11, 2016, 08:20 PM »
[

I bump this video up all the time!
My bro will be looking for safe ice in upper NH this weekend  ;D

Ha!  I've seen this video among others of this professor, he's from my neck of the woods - Manitoba!  And it's usually stupid cold here in the winter, so it's a good place to test cold/hypothermia!!!
How long is a piece of string?

Offline rj1623

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #24 on: Dec 11, 2016, 08:24 PM »
Is that a hybrid? Looks way too stripey to be just a northern

That's because that would be a tiger Muskie . They don't grow those in ct have to go north for those. Nice tiger

Offline jammer icecube

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Danbury Fish & Game Hardwater Tour
« Reply #25 on: Dec 12, 2016, 06:37 PM »
When Jon/ Lowaccord texted me that pic last night while i was trying not to bust my tv (cowboys fan..sorry), it made my night. Great fish !!!!!!

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.