Author Topic: Ice on north country ponds!!  (Read 4467 times)

Offline dickbaker

• Team IceShanty Maniac
Ice on north country ponds!!
« on: Dec 05, 2016, 07:52 AM »
 ;D :tipup:     Good News!  All ponds north of the Notch froze over last night.   Bad News?   Couple inches of snow forecast today.
Good News!   Below freezing for the next ten days, with possible single number nights.   Scientific  formula predicts that those ten days will produce 150 Freezing Degree Days(FDD)  ,   resulting in one inch of new ice for every 15 FDD?   We all know that , even in the Mountains we won't have 10 inches of good ice??   But of  4 inches of safe ice should draw all of you anxious flat landers north you might even think about the weekend of Dec. 17th.   Remember that all of our trout ponds have been stuffed full of 1-2 lb. rainbows!

Bad News!!    Fuel truck is just dragging hose to my house!!
Good luck to everybody and Be Safe!!
Dick

Offline SALMONEMIA

• Team IceShanty Maniac
Re: Ice on north country ponds!!
« Reply #1 on: Dec 05, 2016, 08:07 AM »
Thanks for the update. The lake I trolled sat was at 41 degrees at the surface. Might still be a while before the larger lakes set up. Thanks for the report.  :tipup:
Salmonemia

Offline Running for flags

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #2 on: Dec 05, 2016, 08:40 AM »
Thanks for the update!!! It's got me excited I know that.  :tipup: I just got to find my minnows soon
Wait there's ice????

Offline Nosaj

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #3 on: Dec 05, 2016, 03:17 PM »
Thanks for the update!!! It's got me excited I know that.  :tipup: I just got to find my minnows soon

Dick's a great guy and a wealth of knowledge on this site just don't let him catch you "Running for flags"  ;D ;D

Offline AQUAASSASSIN

• Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #4 on: Dec 05, 2016, 04:40 PM »
Dick's a great guy and a wealth of knowledge on this site just don't let him catch you "Running for flags"  ;D ;D

I Dono, he complains a lot.  ;)

LOL! Aqua is backkkk!
You count your years by the Winters.

It’s not being Cocky if you can back it up.

Offline Nosaj

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #5 on: Dec 05, 2016, 04:55 PM »
I Dono, he complains a lot.  ;)

LOL! Aqua is backkkk!

He's out of the woods!   (AA that is, Dick's still in the woods , but he will get out.😁)

Good to see you back.

Offline AQUAASSASSIN

• Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #6 on: Dec 05, 2016, 05:03 PM »
 :thumbsup:

Offline LakerNewb

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #7 on: Dec 05, 2016, 05:24 PM »
I'll be up in Pittsburg this weekend chasing, grouse and snowshoe hare. Might bring a few tip-ups and a few shiners if I catch any between now and then. Anybody got any suggestions for ponds to check out up there? Worse case I'll just report back the conditions up there for everybody.
Oh the weather outside is frightful but the cusk are so delightful, long as I can't feel my toes! Let snow let it snow let it snow!

Offline fishingidjit

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #8 on: Dec 06, 2016, 04:48 AM »
I drove by Pontook Dam on Rt 16 last week  and the left side was frozen. Bring on the cold temps w/out the snow ! :)

Offline BuKhUnT

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #9 on: Dec 06, 2016, 06:20 AM »
Thank you sir!
Scott P.

Offline dickbaker

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #10 on: Dec 06, 2016, 02:54 PM »
Tuesday Update??    Local ponds have 1 inch of frozen slush (snow fall on top of first skim ice) .    We have some single digit nights coming but I still go with my original guess of Dec. 21st for good ice.   I won't plan on traveling south for crappie until well after New Years?
Dick

Offline Digs

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #11 on: Dec 06, 2016, 03:04 PM »
Checked some water today around Conway.....half inch to three quarters of an inch on most. One pond had nothing at all which I thought was weird since most bodies had at least a skim. One pond had little more than half an inch of some nice ice then slush than another half inch of cloudy ice. Nice drop in temp after tomorrow see where it takes us.
Every fish is a good fish!

Offline dbickom

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #12 on: Dec 06, 2016, 03:44 PM »
Good looking 10 day forecast in S. NH.  It's gotta be colder in the North...Sat Hi 26 Lo 14.  From Wednesday on next week looking at 33/16, 23/12, & 23/14 Friday...Thinking I may give it a shot next Friday up North somewhere. :tipup:
Good things come to those who Bait!

Offline dickbaker

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #13 on: Dec 06, 2016, 04:56 PM »
Good looking 10 day forecast in S. NH.  It's gotta be colder in the North...Sat Hi 26 Lo 14.  From Wednesday on next week looking at 33/16, 23/12, & 23/14 Friday...Thinking I may give it a shot next Friday up North somewhere. :tipup:

No hope for this Friday :-\    Looks good for Friday Dec. 16th? ::)
Dick

Offline perch_slayer

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #14 on: Dec 06, 2016, 08:55 PM »
I was at mount Blue Job in farmington today and all of the bogs and ponds in the were iced over or had ice covering most of the water
I hate my username. I made it when I was 14 and I dont know how to change it.

BrookieSlayer99

« Reply #15 on: Dec 06, 2016, 09:13 PM »
Pemi lake was totally frozen with cloudy ice

Offline dbickom

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #16 on: Dec 07, 2016, 05:49 AM »
Be careful with this coating of snow.  Not worth it this early!  Wait until next week.  Looks like cold weather coming in the end of next week.  Dont want to see your ugly mugs on the news.
Good things come to those who Bait!

Offline dickbaker

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #17 on: Dec 07, 2016, 10:23 AM »
Pemi lake was totally frozen with cloudy ice

Brookie,   I've seriously considered a day on Pemi?   Where is the public access?

I'm still curious about the quality of the present Slush ice when it freezes over the next week or so??

Dick

Offline AQUAASSASSIN

• Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #18 on: Dec 07, 2016, 10:56 AM »
It's right off the side of the rd. On 104

Offline WhiteMTfish

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #19 on: Dec 07, 2016, 12:35 PM »

Offline lowaccord66

• Team IceshantyInsanity
« Reply #20 on: Dec 07, 2016, 01:21 PM »
Brookie,   I've seriously considered a day on Pemi?   Where is the public access?

I'm still curious about the quality of the present Slush ice when it freezes over the next week or so??

Dick

Quality of the slush should not matter if  3-4" of black ice is underneath!

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #21 on: Dec 07, 2016, 06:15 PM »
Quality of the slush should not matter if  3-4" of black ice is underneath!

True but how are you going to tell that it's good underneath :/
Wait there's ice????

Offline LakerNewb

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #22 on: Dec 07, 2016, 06:31 PM »
I'll be up in Pittsburg this weekend to hunt grouse and hare, anywhere up there worth checking out to see how the ice is? Not familiar with the bodies of water up there, not looking for anyone's hot spot just a place to check the ice and maybe get a few lines in IF there is sufficient ice. I know the Connecticut's wont be locked up, but are there any smaller ponds up there that might be worth checking out?
Oh the weather outside is frightful but the cusk are so delightful, long as I can't feel my toes! Let snow let it snow let it snow!

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #23 on: Dec 07, 2016, 06:37 PM »
Well I don't think you can fish the conn lakes until after Jan 1st ne ways. I'd stop in to a sporting goods store or general store and start there
Wait there's ice????

Offline AQUAASSASSIN

• Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #24 on: Dec 07, 2016, 06:44 PM »
Well I don't think you can fish the conn lakes until after Jan 1st ne ways. I'd stop in to a sporting goods store or general store and start there

That is correct

Offline LakerNewb

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #25 on: Dec 07, 2016, 06:56 PM »

Goes to show how well I know the area, thanks for the advice!

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #26 on: Dec 07, 2016, 07:14 PM »
Well that's what we are here to do give advice answer questions and hopefully make friends
Wait there's ice????

Offline Coffin Dodger

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #27 on: Dec 07, 2016, 09:06 PM »
Lots of no ice fishing trout ponds up that way.
I'd make sure ya know the rules before ya start drilling. 

Offline NH Trout Fisherman

• IceShanty Mod Team
  • Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #28 on: Dec 07, 2016, 09:44 PM »
Lots of no ice fishing trout ponds up that way.
I'd make sure ya know the rules before ya start drilling.

This is true. As far as I know. There aren't any lakes/ponds open to ice fishing in Pittsburg prior to Jan 1st.  There are a few in the north country that are open all year but make sure to check the rules as CD mentioned

Offline JIGGIN-

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Go Go Get Em!
« Reply #29 on: Dec 08, 2016, 06:12 AM »
Gotta comment as i see everyone getting a pudgy going with the cold weather / early ice conditions starting.

Whatever you do, ALWAYS take a good sharp chisel with you to check the ice.  I've seen people use the heel stomp method, the jump up and down method, the heavy ice auger method, the fat buddy method and of course the chucking of the rock method (my most hated method). All of which are just plain dumb and shows your a novice in my opinion.

Check the ice with your chisel in front of you before each step you take. This is the one tool that will save your life. Don't be afraid to really punch the ice with your chisel and not just tap it. Ice picks are reactive (for after you go through), a chisel is proactive. Also when you check the ice with a chisel, reach down and check the thickness of the ice with your fingers. Ice can be deceiving so the best method after punching a small hole is to reach down and "finger" the ice for a true thickness measurement. A skimmer works too but we are only talking about a few inches of ice. I feel more confident after checking it by hand personally. Better to get your hands wet than your entire body.

The best chisel I've seen and used is the Jiffy Deluxe 2 piece model. Long with heavy head. Put the strap around your wrist. I sharpen mine with a file to make sure it is sharp.

Be safe out there. I've seen and helped a few folks out of the drink from not being cautious nor smart.

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.