Author Topic: Child safety gear help  (Read 729 times)

Offline slamminsam

• Team IceShanty Addict
Child safety gear help
« on: Dec 04, 2016, 06:36 PM »
i have AA and striker suit, but need to get something for my 10 year old for safety?  Any company's make kid size?  Or should he just wear a auto pfd. I don't take him until good ice, but that's never a guarantee.
Take the pledge, be safe, enjoy every second of life and lets go JETS!

Offline Rags777

• Team IceShanty Regular
Re: Child safety gear help
« Reply #1 on: Dec 04, 2016, 07:07 PM »
I use an auto for my boy, clam makes a child size flatiron suit for almost the same price as an adult, I know you can't put a price on safety,but they sure did. My boy is 10 aswell and no going for him until we can get wheelers on ice.

Offline slamminsam

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #2 on: Dec 04, 2016, 07:47 PM »
I'll look into their suit thanks. Anyone have one for their kid...that they out grew?  Sell?

Offline 77tech

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #3 on: Dec 04, 2016, 10:15 PM »
Caution when using the auto inflation pfd's.  I have read that wearing one of these under other clothing such as a coat that they can cause death by asphyxiation due to constriction causing you to be unable to inhale and take a fresh breath.  Can't remember where I read that and can't seem to find it now but just wanted to make people aware of the possibility before putting an auto pfd on a child or themselves for that mater. 

Offline Majja13

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #4 on: Dec 05, 2016, 07:30 AM »
I make my 5 year old wear a reg, PFD when when she goes I will let her take it off but only if she stays in the tent.  Any other time she has to wear it. 

Offline UFCreel

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #5 on: Dec 05, 2016, 08:34 AM »
Any PFD should be worn on the outside of their clothing. The rule in my house was six inches and the kids can go.
Flags up! Bobbers down!

Offline filetandrelease

• Team IceshantyInsanity
« Reply #6 on: Dec 05, 2016, 08:44 AM »
My grandson wears his PFD until he's in the shack with me , but I don't take him until I feel comfortable with his  safety

Offline EricB86

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #7 on: Dec 05, 2016, 09:08 AM »
Striker makes some smaller suits. Measures his chest, height, and inseam. My son wears his lifejacket at all times! Why take it off in the shack? Do you let them take it off in the boat? Just cause the tent is set up doesn't mean it's safe!

Offline SKUNK-MASTER

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #8 on: Dec 05, 2016, 09:17 AM »
I think you guys read my mind with this thread.......I have a 6 yr old that both he and i are itching for him to go with dad...but  mother is really spooky about ice fishing in general :unsure: and I will need to over provide for our safety if I am going to win this battle  ;D   lets keep this going........any other good safety tips in general but especially for kids?

Offline GCD

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Arctic Armor, it's not just for ice fishing!!!
« Reply #9 on: Dec 05, 2016, 09:34 AM »
Consider the following before putting an auto inflate pfd on your child:

There are some things to consider before you switch to the Auto Inflators.

1) As opposed to conventional, inherently buoyant PFDs, these are high-tech devices.  They will not provide buoyancy until they’re inflated. This imposes a higher level of responsibility on the user. They MUST be carefully inspected before each use to see that the inflator mechanism is armed and in good condition. The bladder must not leak, and the user must be familiar with its use and operation. This is a big difference from using a conventional PFD. That's also why they’re not approved for use with persons less than 16 years old. 

2) They are not recommended for swift water sports (white water) or any activity where the user will probably get soaked (personal watercraft, sailboards). 

3) Cold weather adversely affects the operation of these PFDs.  While the CO2 cartridge will fully inflate the vest most of the year, in extremely cold temperatures the same amount of gas will not expand to the same volume, reducing the vest’s buoyancy. 

4) While they are designed to auto-inflate only when immersed in water and not by rain or high humidity, the ‘pill/bobbin’ material can break down under these conditions and activate the inflator. 

5) Inflatable PFDs provide no protection from hypothermia. 

6) Since there is a slight delay from immersion to inflation, they are not recommended for non-swimmers.

7) An inflatable MUST be worn as the outermost layer.  Never wear a coat or rain gear over these vests.

A conventional PFD is a much better choice for children under 16, and in frigid weather a conventional is a better choice for everyone... but an auto is still better than nothing.
Give a man a fish and you'll feed him for a day, give him a religion and he'll starve to death while praying for a fish... author unknown

Offline Monticatgeek

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #10 on: Dec 05, 2016, 10:07 AM »
Fishing is not a hobby it is a way of life

Offline SKUNK-MASTER

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #11 on: Dec 05, 2016, 10:12 AM »
great post GCD thank you  I was thinking about one of them.....now I am not     standard good ole life jacket seems like the way to go.

Offline filetandrelease

• Team IceshantyInsanity
« Reply #12 on: Dec 05, 2016, 10:47 AM »
Striker makes some smaller suits. Measures his chest, height, and inseam. My son wears his lifejacket at all times! Why take it off in the shack? Do you let them take it off in the boat? Just cause the tent is set up doesn't mean it's safe!
well he wears it in the boat never had rough seas ice fishing  , I don't take him out until there Is at least a ft of ice
Thanks for the heads up ,your probably right

Offline icefishmissoula

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #13 on: Dec 05, 2016, 11:13 AM »
So do you guys have your kids wearing a life-jacket on the lake no matter the size or conditions of the lake?

Offline slamminsam

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #14 on: Dec 05, 2016, 11:24 AM »
great post GCD thank you  I was thinking about one of them.....now I am not     standard good ole life jacket seems like the way to go.

x2...was going to go with the auto for comfort reasons...but probably won't now.  He's been going for 3+ years with out anything, just when I saw ice fit for him...but I'm getting too nervous for some reason and want him to have on a pdf.  I think because I'm wearing the Striker or AA suit I feel bad for leaving him out.  I may seriously look into getting him his own suit and sell it here next year.

Offline slamminsam

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #15 on: Dec 05, 2016, 11:27 AM »
Clam makes their lift suit in youth sizes. here is a link for them. need to order right from Clam.

http://stores.clamoutdoors.com/icearmor/outerwear/ia-kids-lift-parka.html

http://stores.clamoutdoors.com/icearmor/outerwear/ia-kids-lift-bib.html

Striker makes the Guardian Suit for kids. 

http://www.strikerstore.com/product-p/132010.htm

Thanks...awesome...I think Santa has just added to his list!!!!!!!!!!

http://www.strikerstore.com/product-p/232010.htm

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.