Author Topic: Fish attracting underwater lights  (Read 1370 times)

Offline hawg

• Team IceShanty Maniac
Fish attracting underwater lights
« on: Dec 04, 2016, 08:17 AM »
These aren't legal where I live but I keep seeing Aqua Vu and others advertising them. I've always wondered if they work. Are they fact or fiction?

Offline crappieslayer37

• Team IceShanty Maniac
Re: Fish attracting underwater lights
« Reply #1 on: Dec 04, 2016, 08:19 AM »
These aren't legal where I live but I keep seeing Aqua Vu and others advertising them. I've 6always wondered if they work. Are they fact or fiction?definitely fact. The lights attract the bottom of the food chain(plankton) and the crappie or whatever you are targeting, follow the food chain. So plankton, minnows., then your targeted species.

Offline Whopper Stopper

• Team IceshantyInsanity
« Reply #2 on: Dec 04, 2016, 09:01 AM »
Yep they work.

Not legal here either.

WS

Offline GOOSE_EGG

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Rip'n Lips [URL=http://s1208.photobucket.com/user/
« Reply #3 on: Dec 04, 2016, 11:13 AM »
What color of light is best?

Offline hardwater diehard

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceshantyInsanity
« Reply #4 on: Dec 04, 2016, 11:15 AM »
They definitely  work during open water for sure. I use mostly ice fishing I know it will bring in the plankton..so that there is enough for me ...I do like the UFO Glow at night on clean ice .
Give a man a fish he eats for a day .Teach a man to ice fish he has an obsession for a lifetime

Offline crappieslayer37

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #5 on: Dec 04, 2016, 11:18 AM »
What color of light is best?
I prefer green

Offline spoofhoundicefisher

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #6 on: Dec 04, 2016, 08:38 PM »
they work crazy good.  it is a blast on the ice in clear first ice conditions.  brings in the plankton and smaller stuff the bait fish feed on then brings in the bigger fish that feed on the bait fish.  it a great time for kids too with short attention spans.  green is the color of choice.  they are easy to make if you are hands on too.

Offline FishinDJ

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #7 on: Dec 04, 2016, 09:12 PM »
Not the best audio/video quality, but I learned a thing or two from this seminar......https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nHG-FAcEOwA&list=PLP2v_N1PkTOag07LpP4PHrsD6ylLEyzsT

Offline Speeddmn

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #8 on: Dec 05, 2016, 08:23 AM »
Looking at the Utah rules, we can use light as an attractant, unless spear fishing.... So would a glowstick work, I assume it would, hook it to a swivel and lower it down the hole. Anyone use this method before?

Offline UFCreel

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #9 on: Dec 05, 2016, 08:31 AM »
Yes i have buddy that uses the glow sticks. Do they work all the time? No. But what does?
Flags up! Bobbers down!

Offline BlackDogAlpha

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #10 on: Dec 05, 2016, 10:25 AM »
We fished under the spot halogens on a saltwater dock this summer. First the plankton bloom and an insane number of minnows, followed by the squid and the mackeral, followed by the stripers. If you fished outside of the lights you caught zero, even within 10'.

Offline 3300

• Team IceShantyholic
  • Michigan Moderator.Not affiliated with MarCum Tech
« Reply #11 on: Dec 05, 2016, 12:27 PM »
at nite i use light anyway top side to see whats going on, so i don't need another to attract fish. i do own a submersible green cold cathode light and tried it a few times and never made any difference. i would say it depends on where you fish and how deep you fish if they help.

plankton come out in the dark and start low in the water column and build up to be a taller mass with time.
if you drop a camera with a light on in the dark you will seem them any where, at least where i fish.
the sonar will begin to show them in 20 feet of water or more. one lake i fish shows them at bottom 2 hours before sunset in 45 feet of water. otherwise they begin to show up with in an hour after sunset on a showdown to the point you can't see your jig anymore. on the lx9, they aren't in the way for another two hours after sunset and then you use a bigger jig to watch it thru the plankton.

the light is to attract them to your light source and make them concentrated near it. i see no need to do that, just find them on sonar and fish them they way they are naturally and the fish will be in them feeding with out you trying to change things up.

BlackDogAlpha's method shows how they do work for his lakes he fishes. cool story too!

so it depends if it will help you or not. only one way to find out.

Offline river_scum

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • hook n cook
« Reply #12 on: Dec 07, 2016, 04:50 AM »
Looking at the Utah rules, we can use light as an attractant, unless spear fishing.... So would a glowstick work, I assume it would, hook it to a swivel and lower it down the hole. Anyone use this method before?

try a tiny float glow stick tied to your leader, about a foot above the minnow!  i use a three way swivel and a piece of tube to put the glow stick in most times.
dig it

real fishermen don't ask "where you catch those"

OANN the real story

- member here since -2003- IN.

Offline captain54

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #13 on: Dec 07, 2016, 04:53 AM »
Crappie yea,walleye nay.

Offline BlackDogAlpha

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #14 on: Dec 07, 2016, 07:53 AM »
try a tiny float glow stick tied to your leader, about a foot above the minnow!  i use a three way swivel and a piece of tube to put the glow stick in most times...

I tried exact rig this in the saltwater bay we were on, the catch rate was nil compared to the big beam halogens from the dock, and I fished it hard, and this was for squid being attracted to glow jigs. Funny how similar techniques dont always match up.

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.