The ice fishing Wisconsin boards are sponsored by:

Author Topic: Weather  (Read 1043 times)

Offline Team_Reload

• IceShanty Rookie
Weather
« on: Dec 03, 2016, 10:28 PM »
Looks like the weather here in southern Wisconsin is starting to turn for the best. Most of next week will be only a high of mid 20's and 10-15 degrees at night. If we can keep that up we should be on the ice by Christmas. How's the weather by you?

Offline Watertooner

• Team IceShanty Regular
Re: Weather
« Reply #1 on: Dec 03, 2016, 11:36 PM »
Dodge and Jefferson County here. I like it when the first real snow of the season falls on open water and drops the water temp a bit - and then the dry polar air really moves in and freezes over the lakes without dropping heavy, wet snow on thin ice. Looks like this year will match last year in that regard. Quality freezing conditions without slushing up the new ice.

Offline Madgill

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #2 on: Dec 04, 2016, 07:01 PM »
I hope to be on somewhat safe ice by Dec 12 here in Madison. Extended forecast looks good, today's snowfall should help to keep things cold. Shallow back bays should be good to go, hopefully! I always push it a bit, but stay safe with flotation and stay close to shore. First ice fishing is always best, but it pays to be safe!

Offline eyeman3

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #3 on: Dec 04, 2016, 07:02 PM »
im betting that on dec  17th ill be out on the ice there is a couple smaller i fish early ice can't wait I'm getting the itch :tipup: :tipup: :tipup: :tipup: :tipup:

Offline bigstorm

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #4 on: Dec 05, 2016, 07:06 AM »
Thinking that some shallow ponds/lakes will be locked up by this weekend, was out in the boat on 12/3 on Lake Wisconsin, water temp is only 36-37. I'm sure the Madison lakes are warmer though

Offline TIP DOWN BUD

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #5 on: Dec 05, 2016, 08:05 PM »
Got a few smaller lakes with a thin sheet on em. Only suppose to be in upper teens the rest of this week. So should help out. Still give her a couple weeks.

Offline Team_Reload

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #6 on: Dec 07, 2016, 06:05 AM »
I'm going to go check a small lake by my house today just to see if we have a thing sheet starting. I have a brand new shanty that is for "Christmas". I was lucky enough to buy it but now I have to wait till the 25th to open it up and put it together.... Thought it was a safe bet but it looks like we are going to have some early ice haha

Offline Michaelo

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #7 on: Dec 07, 2016, 06:16 AM »
Glad the Temps finally cooled down. Should be fishing a backwater this weekend.

Offline eriksat1

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • N.W. Wisconsin Goat
« Reply #8 on: Dec 07, 2016, 06:25 AM »
I drive past 3 different lakes on my way to work, I can't wait to see if the bays have ice this morning.
Looks like the real arctic blast coming Sunday night and by Tuesday high of minus -3 low of minus -14

Offline bigstorm

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #9 on: Dec 07, 2016, 07:16 AM »
I'll be checking ice thickiness at a few early ice spots around Lake WI on Sunday

Offline eriksat1

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • N.W. Wisconsin Goat
« Reply #10 on: Dec 07, 2016, 07:41 AM »
Still windy, still open water in bays, but icing up along shore. All we need is one calm night with no wind and it should be game on.

Offline Team_Reload

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #11 on: Dec 07, 2016, 01:19 PM »
Still windy, still open water in bays, but icing up along shore. All we need is one calm night with no wind and it should be game on.

I checked the lake close to home and had the same observation. Water along shore is freezing but it's to winding for the rest of the lake. Well the wife may be a little upset when she gets home but I said heck with it and started putting together my Christmas shanty. Haha. I couldn't wait. Next week looks so cold. We are making ice guys. Won't be long now

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.