Ice Fishing Iowa board sponsored by

Author Topic: Storm Lake  (Read 1541 times)

Offline rodeomarine21

• IceShanty Rookie
  • Go big or go Home
Storm Lake
« on: Dec 03, 2016, 09:55 PM »
How are things looking over in Storm Lake? I got christmas week off and looking to head that way.
Semper Fish Devil Dogs

Offline nwifisherman

• Team IceShanty Regular
Re: Storm Lake
« Reply #1 on: Dec 04, 2016, 08:01 AM »
Good cold snap coming this week. Should be capped by the 10th or 11th I'm guessing. Possibly before as that lake always seems to freeze earlier than expected. The ice fishing has sucked there the last 3 or 4 years though so I'd recommend going north to the IGLs and fish Boji or Spirit.

Offline Agronomist_at_IA

• Team IceShantyholic
  • Team Iowa!
« Reply #2 on: Dec 04, 2016, 10:41 AM »
Good cold snap coming this week. Should be capped by the 10th or 11th I'm guessing. Possibly before as that lake always seems to freeze earlier than expected. The ice fishing has sucked there the last 3 or 4 years though so I'd recommend going north to the IGLs and fish Boji or Spirit.

I would agree with you. Storm Lake is a pretty tuff lake for ice fishing. Mainly because the lake make up of Fish & population. I've heard that perch, Gills, and crappie have started to populate more, but I've never caught one.

Walleye-white bass-catfish is about all that i've caught. Suprised they dont stock norhern in the lake.

Offline Mr.Seaguar

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #3 on: Dec 04, 2016, 11:10 PM »
You guys talk about how the ice fishing is not that great on Storm Lake. I disagree, I think Storm sucks year-round.
Every plastics manufacturer claims plastics outfish livebait. So now I use livebait just for the increased challenge.

Offline squ1rr31_

• IceShanty Mod Team
  • Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Addicted to freezing.
« Reply #4 on: Dec 09, 2016, 07:46 AM »
You guys talk about how the ice fishing is not that great on Storm Lake. I disagree, I think Storm sucks year-round.

Hahahaha  :roflmao: :roflmao: :roflmao:

Offline Agronomist_at_IA

• Team IceShantyholic
  • Team Iowa!
« Reply #5 on: Dec 09, 2016, 07:51 AM »

LOL open water isn't bad if hou have a boat to troll the dredge cuts durring summer and the shore lines after ice out. A person needs to cover a lot of water on that lake.

Offline rodeomarine21

• IceShanty Rookie
  • Go big or go Home
« Reply #6 on: Dec 10, 2016, 10:05 PM »
I always limit out in the spring. I just wish it was better in the winter.
Semper Fish Devil Dogs

Offline Mr.Seaguar

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #7 on: Dec 11, 2016, 07:15 AM »
Here is Storm Lake limit: we caught a limit of 16inchers, but we had to keep a couple 12s to finish our limit. I hear that 500 times a year. You drove however many miles to keep 6 fish 2 of which we 12" long. Plus the ramps at the marina suck because the pull up is too short. I only go there to keep my friends happy so that they will take me to better lakes as they have the boats.
Every plastics manufacturer claims plastics outfish livebait. So now I use livebait just for the increased challenge.

Offline Agronomist_at_IA

• Team IceShantyholic
  • Team Iowa!
« Reply #8 on: Dec 11, 2016, 08:42 AM »
Here is Storm Lake limit: we caught a limit of 16inchers, but we had to keep a couple 12s to finish our limit. I hear that 500 times a year. You drove however many miles to keep 6 fish 2 of which we 12" long. Plus the ramps at the marina suck because the pull up is too short. I only go there to keep my friends happy so that they will take me to better lakes as they have the boats.

I dont think I've caught a 12in outta Storm in the last 4 yrs. Smallest is usually 14in. I think the reason that it becomes hard to find the walleyes there and why storm doesn't have much for panfish is due to the water clarity. The lake litterally does not have weeds or plants growing in it, so there is no weed line or area to troll along or anywhere to really find panfish.

Yeah the ramps are kinda a puzzel to why they made them so steep and why the pull up is so short. Overall I can say I've had some of my best walleye fishing. ever at Storm Lake. y

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.