Author Topic: Electronics?  (Read 3696 times)

Offline Monticatgeek

• Team IceShanty Maniac
Re: Electronics?
« Reply #30 on: Dec 04, 2016, 02:19 PM »
Thanx for the input, still studying, so I guess its between a Marcum or a Vexilar, do they come with a charger? Do they last all day or 2 days ? can they be used on a boat in the soft-water season? I'm not a dummy just impatient thats why easy learning curve is needed.

if you want to be able to use the flasher in the boat during the open water season then the only units you should looks at are either the Vexilar FL-18 or the FL-22HD. these are the only two Vexilars that have the bottom lock feature on them. the bottom lock locks into the bottom 6 feet of the water column and it is not effected by wave action when the waves moves the boat up and down like it would with other units. to put these in a boat you just need to order the summer time kit for which ever one of the two you go with.
Fishing is not a hobby it is a way of life

Offline crappieslayer37

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #31 on: Dec 04, 2016, 02:32 PM »
if you want to be able to use the flasher in the boat during the open water season then the only units you should looks at are either the Vexilar FL-18 or the FL-22HD. these are the only two Vexilars that have the bottom lock feature on them. the bottom lock locks into the bottom 6 feet of the water column and it is not effected by wave action when the waves moves the boat up and down like it would with other units. to put these in a boat you just need to order the summer time kit for which ever one of the two you go with.
I can personally attest to the fact that the 28 will show fish provided your not moving too much. Used the 28 to catch gills in 17 fow this fall and you could see the mood of the fish by the reaction when following it up. Just saying I have done it.

Offline Lrains

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #32 on: Dec 04, 2016, 02:34 PM »
Vex or Marcum will both serve you just fine, it's a ford Chevy thing. I did allot of research before purchasing my first flasher and couldn't be happier. A flasher by who ever is better than nothing.

Offline ice dawg

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShantyholic
  • Tawny-"Ice Pooch"
« Reply #33 on: Dec 04, 2016, 04:05 PM »
X2
It seems to go from zero to hero all some have to do is lie.

Offline MochaMay

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #34 on: Dec 04, 2016, 04:38 PM »

Not sure how that can be correct. When I have used my Vexilar years ago in the boat if the boat rides to the top of a wave the distance to the bottom from the transducer is greater and will show up on the flasher but then I never used a bottom lock feature either.... ???

Offline Monticatgeek

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #35 on: Dec 04, 2016, 04:58 PM »
Not sure how that can be correct. When I have used my Vexilar years ago in the boat if the boat rides to the top of a wave the distance to the bottom from the transducer is greater and will show up on the flasher but then I never used a bottom lock feature either.... ???

here, right from the Vexilar brochure :

Offline crappieslayer37

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #36 on: Dec 04, 2016, 05:03 PM »
Why do you necessarily need to be locked on the bottom as a lot of time in the summer fish are suspended over deep water. Just a gimmick imo

Offline Monticatgeek

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #37 on: Dec 04, 2016, 05:12 PM »
Why do you necessarily need to be locked on the bottom as a lot of time in the summer fish are suspended over deep water. Just a gimmick imo

it is nice for when fishing bottom hugging fish like perch and walleyes.

Offline bldfrt

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #38 on: Dec 04, 2016, 05:42 PM »
I think the bottom lock is for the zoom to keep it from bouncing with waves and losing the bottom. Zoom sets up when you turn it on so if you're fishing 30' with the zoom on and move to anything greater than 30' without turning the zoom or machine off and back on it will not see the bottom anymore because it will think it's at 30. I believe the bottom lock compensates for the boat bouncing around during zoom although I've never messed with zoom out of my boat so I can't promise that is correct. Regular view always moves around in real time with any of them

Offline DakotaElkSlayer

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #39 on: Dec 04, 2016, 05:46 PM »
Any flasher is better then not having one. You will find the fish, no guessing. Then you just have to catch them 😀

A used $50 Zercom would amaze one that hasn't used a flasher before....just get one!!!

Jim

Offline Mtwolfer

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #40 on: Dec 10, 2016, 04:25 PM »
thanx I'm about ready to pull the trigger, what model do you prefer?

Offline Mtwolfer

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #41 on: Dec 10, 2016, 04:27 PM »
If you are fishing less than 10 ft I'd recommend getting the new tri-beam, as the stock proview shines in deeper water due to cone angle. That being said, I've fished with the proview for three years and I don't mind having a slightly larger mark. You can usually go low power and turn up your gain until you see your jig.
this tri-beam ? is it a vexilar?

Offline Panfisher78

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #42 on: Dec 10, 2016, 05:18 PM »
Another vote for Vexilar here. I have an FL-18 and an FLX-28. Can't go wrong with either. If price isn't a factor, spend a little extra and get the FLX-28.  If you go with an FL-8, FL-18,FL-20, or FL-22 I'd recommend getting them in the "Genz Pack" (Blue box) carrying case. You'll save money and the box is compact and customizable.  I have a Pro Pack and a Genz pack and prefer the Genz box.

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.