The ice fishing ME board is sponsored by:
Visit Dags visit derby website

Author Topic: Getting Gear Ready  (Read 959 times)

Offline bee

• Team IceShanty Maniac
Getting Gear Ready
« on: Dec 03, 2016, 09:44 AM »
Its time to get that gear ready. Helix 7 and a new Cordless Drill auger.

Thats Why They Call It Fishing.

Offline allymeagan

• IceShanty Rookie
Re: Getting Gear Ready
« Reply #1 on: Dec 03, 2016, 11:33 AM »
How well do those things work?  I tried lifting a power auger and they're heavy lol, wouldn't want to haul that out by hand!  But a cordless drill auger is a cool idea.  I have some research to do to tide me over until the ice finally comes!

Offline Sebago Bait

• Iceshanty Sponsor
  • Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #2 on: Dec 03, 2016, 12:18 PM »
Its time to get that gear ready. Helix 7 and a new Cordless Drill auger.

I thought for sure you would have the K-Drill with the clam plate. Looks nice . So much easier, 8" hole works just fine and they are so fast as well. People laugh on the ice until they see them cut.
http://www.sebagobait.com/
483 Roosevelt Trail
Windham, ME  04062
207-894-7141
207-894-7143 (fax)

Hours:
Mon-Thurs 8:00 am to 4:30 pm Fri 8:00 am to 6:00 pm
Weekends starting at 5:00 am during ice fishing season (Jan 1, 2019)

THE HOME OF FREE AUGER BLADE SHARPENING

Offline Sluggo65

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #3 on: Dec 03, 2016, 01:57 PM »
I like the case that you made for your Hummingbird. I made something similar out of a five gallon bucket so I could have a top on it, by cutting a window out of the side and mounting the flasher so you could roll it into the bucket to store and then back out to use. It's hard to see though if you are out on the ice in the sun because of the angle.  I think that I am going to try something similar to yours with a smaller container - thanks for the inspiration.
Is it making ice yet?

Offline bee

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #4 on: Dec 03, 2016, 03:14 PM »
I thought for sure you would have the K-Drill with the clam plate. Looks nice . So much easier, 8" hole works just fine and they are so fast as well. People laugh on the ice until they see them cut.

Wayne I would like one if you would sponsor it. This is a 7 inch setup.

Offline csiacd78

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #5 on: Dec 03, 2016, 06:21 PM »
Hey Bee, i got a buddy that just moved home and we bought a helix 7 for our boat. He has .Rons old shack and i was telling him he could use the 7 in there as his flasher. What does he need to transition it to winter? Just an ice transducer? Do you still get the down imaging out of it?

Offline bee

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #6 on: Dec 03, 2016, 07:07 PM »
Hey Bee, i got a buddy that just moved home and we bought a helix 7 for our boat. He has .Rons old shack and i was telling him he could use the 7 in there as his flasher. What does he need to transition it to winter? Just an ice transducer? Do you still get the down imaging out of it?

Yes just the xducer. No DI. Also a battery.

Offline csiacd78

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #7 on: Dec 03, 2016, 08:44 PM »
Batterybwas obvios. Can you not use the flasher mode with the regular transducer?

Offline bee

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #8 on: Dec 04, 2016, 04:21 AM »
Batterybwas obvios. Can you not use the flasher mode with the regular transducer?

You can use it. The regular xducer will not hang vertical without rigging up a way for it to do it. Also the cord is stiff unlike an ice xducer.

Offline RealBigReel

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #9 on: Dec 04, 2016, 04:51 AM »

You can use it. The regular xducer will not hang vertical without rigging up a way for it to do it. Also the cord is stiff unlike an ice xducer.

I've  seen them screwed  to a piece of strapping and one of the heavy aluminum rulers, you can put them in the hole at an angle and see what's off to the side. When you wire it up to your battery use one of those el-cheapo brown  8' extension cords, make sure to get one that has one prong bigger than the other so they only go together one way and you can't reverse your poles, cut it in half, hook one end to the battery and splice the other onto the fish finder wires, just a cheap  and easy way to be able to unplug it, and helps keep things a little more organized.

The square kitty liter and ice melt buckets  work good for storing them.

Offline franklin fisher

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #10 on: Dec 04, 2016, 06:33 AM »
  That's a cool setup for the Helix 7.  So does Humminbird not make a kit to convert that from the boat to the ice?  My buddy bought the Helix 5 this summer and we have been trying to figure out how to convert it over. I found ice ducers and batteries but could never find a pack to put it all in.  What did you make that case out of? 

Offline bee

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #11 on: Dec 04, 2016, 08:55 AM »
  That's a cool setup for the Helix 7.  So does Humminbird not make a kit to convert that from the boat to the ice?  My buddy bought the Helix 5 this summer and we have been trying to figure out how to convert it over. I found ice ducers and batteries but could never find a pack to put it all in.  What did you make that case out of?

They do offer an Ice Pack now for the 7 but at about 180.00 plus the xducer cost my way was way cheaper for me.

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.