Author Topic: Best Minnow for Ice Walleye  (Read 6158 times)

Offline hays47

• Team IceShanty Regular
Best Minnow for Ice Walleye
« on: Dec 03, 2016, 08:11 AM »
Mainly a pannie fisherman. But when using camera I see some walleye come into picture often. I jig with one rod and deadstick the other. Very seldom do the walleye actually bite. Fatheads are what is commonly available here. Have tried all sizes of them. With very limited results on the walleyes. In fact seem to do better with lures overall.  I can't help but feel a different minnow or chub might work a heck of a lot better.

I know any kind of fish can be picky at times. But these wallies around here seem to be super picky. They do a lot of looking and not if any taking.
Echomap 94  Chirp with panoptix ps-22.
G.E.F.M

Offline justborn

• IceShanty Rookie
Re: Best Minnow for Ice Walleye
« Reply #1 on: Dec 03, 2016, 08:25 AM »
Around Mn, fatheads are typically a good choice mostly based on availability, but also on reliability.   Best will change based on specific lake forage and conditions, time and location.  I had one of my craziest walleye fishing experiences fishing with rosie fatheads.  They loved them for a single trip.  I've tried to replicate this experience a few times; it seems they often dislike rosies.  The emerald shiner can also be the bait, or not.   stupid fish...

Offline JonPerry

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #2 on: Dec 04, 2016, 08:19 PM »
When crappie fishing, if there are walleye in the area I'll dead stick the largest crappie minnow I have with me.

Chute82

« Reply #3 on: Dec 06, 2016, 05:58 AM »
My buddy and I set minnow traps to catch chubs, 3" creek chub on a jig head bouncing it off the bottom works well for us...

Offline UFCreel

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #4 on: Dec 06, 2016, 10:44 AM »
Emerald shiners. If you can find them.
Flags up! Bobbers down!

Offline mushroom_capd_1

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #5 on: Dec 06, 2016, 12:37 PM »
Here it's fatheads or shiners. I usually just stick with fatheads...easier to keep alive than shiners. Also, the local bait stock of shiners at times runs low and they can be hard to find.

Offline filetandrelease

• Team IceshantyInsanity
« Reply #6 on: Jun 14, 2017, 08:08 AM »
Emerald shiners. If you can find them.
X2 all the lakes i fish they seem to work better than fat heads

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.