New York Ice Fishing sponsored by

Author Topic: SULLIVAN COUNTY ICE FISHING CONTESTS  (Read 13977 times)

Offline IceBalls

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • I FISH BECAUSE THE VOICES IN MY HEAD TELL ME TO!!
SULLIVAN COUNTY ICE FISHING CONTESTS
« on: Feb 05, 2006, 08:21 PM »
There are 2 interesting Ice Fishing Contests coming up in Sullivan County in two weeks:

1.  Highland Lake Tournament --- has been going on for many years, offering cash and prizes.  This year's date is Feb. 18    Check in is at Sand Beach Bar, Highland Lake, NY  at 6AM

2.  The annual "KING OF THE ICE" tournament in White Lake, NY is on Feb. 19  (how about that for a great ice fishing weekend?)  First prize is $500 and a Trophy (plus getting your photo in the local newspaper wearing the King's crown and cape!!).  For details -- Sports Nuts Tackle Shop   (845) 794-2000

ANYBODY FROM IS GOING TO ATTEND????   IF YOU ARE, LETS MAKE A PARTY OF IT !!!!   THE ICEBALLS CREW WILL BE THERE WITH OUR BBQ GRILL AND LOTS OF GOODIES!!  WE'RE FISHING BOTH DAYS.

LET US KNOW IF YOU'RE COMING AND WE'LL DECIDE WHERE TO MEET AND FISH.

ICEBALLS

Offline IceBalls

• Team IceShanty Maniac
Re: SULLIVAN COUNTY ICE FISHING CONTESTS
« Reply #1 on: Feb 06, 2006, 03:09 PM »
WHAT HAPPENED TO ALL YOU SOUTHERN NY ICE FISHERMEN??

HAVE YOU GIVEN UP ALREADY????

Offline IcefishrNY

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #2 on: Feb 06, 2006, 05:49 PM »
Iceballs,

I will be there for both days too  ;D, just let me know where we are going to meet up.

Offline IceBalls

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #3 on: Feb 07, 2006, 09:41 AM »
Glenn:  Glad you'll be there!  Meet at Sand Beach Bar at 6:00AM - that's where registration will be for the contest.

See youthere

Rodger

Offline gil_lunkage

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #4 on: Feb 07, 2006, 10:28 AM »
What is the status of the ice right now??  I would love to fish these derbies!!
"Don't hate me cause you ain't me"
~ Some Dude

Offline ShawnM

• IceShanty Mod Team
  • Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Captain of Team Mercer
« Reply #5 on: Feb 07, 2006, 01:24 PM »
I'll be there Sat maybe Sunday too & I will be fishing highland this Fri & Sat. I will post on ice on Friday night
Rodger are you going up there this weekend? If so call me I'm going to fish Highland in the am & then by my dad's camp in the PM for Eye's
PETA = People Eating Tasty Animals   ;D

Offline icetime

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #6 on: Feb 07, 2006, 03:26 PM »
Hey shawnm......walleye in highland lake? That would be cool, I have never landed one! I fished superior up the road this year, Only pickerel and perch.

Offline NJ_ICE_HUNTER

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • Come on Cold!
« Reply #7 on: Feb 07, 2006, 03:30 PM »
Shawn and Rodger.....I'm thinkin about it for the contest.  Need to learn that water in Highland though.  Prob gonna try a private camp in Sullivan Co this weekend if I can get in.  If not maybe I'll practice at Highland.

JasonUpstate

« Reply #8 on: Feb 07, 2006, 04:09 PM »
I've been meaning to fish highland for a long time now. I always fish supieror and what not....

Shawn, let us know the ice conditions friday night when ya can... Maybe Ill get up there this weekend too... Id loved to get into some perch...

Offline IcefishrNY

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #9 on: Feb 07, 2006, 05:00 PM »
I'm going to fish Highland this weekend too, Saturday afternoon/eve and Sunday am either at Highland or White Lake. I might also hit Jeffersonville lake for Perch and Crappies all depends on the ice conditions.
 If anyone wants to meet up let me know, I always have a radio on channel 7 too.

Offline IceBalls

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #10 on: Feb 07, 2006, 10:53 PM »
NJ Ice Hunter::  Meet up with us at the Highland Lake contest on 2/18 at Sand Beach Bar  6AM -- we'll show you some good fishing water and you can join the on-ice party!!!

Offline NJ_ICE_HUNTER

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • Come on Cold!
« Reply #11 on: Feb 08, 2006, 05:36 AM »
I may just do that......just gotta see if they are gonna reschedual the Ice Contest for MY Highland Lake here in Jersey for that weekend.  It was supposed to be this weekened but there is basically no ice.  I'll PM you or Shawn about it.  What kinda fish are there in Highland, NY ? Is there anywhere I can get a map or should I just follow you guys. 

Offline ShawnM

• IceShanty Mod Team
  • Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Captain of Team Mercer
« Reply #12 on: Feb 08, 2006, 07:49 AM »
Hey shawnm......walleye in highland lake? That would be cool, I have never landed one! I fished superior up the road this year, Only pickerel and perch.
NO there is no Walleyed in Highland . But there are some in lake around that area. My dad's camp is on 1500 acres with four lakes around it

Offline ShawnM

• IceShanty Mod Team
  • Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Captain of Team Mercer
« Reply #13 on: Feb 08, 2006, 07:53 AM »
John,
I just e-mailed you call me. If you want you can fish with us this weekend & my dad's camp or highland let me know. Next week I'm looking to fish Sat highland contest & Sun White lake contest. Call we'll talk

Offline Gamalot

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #14 on: Feb 08, 2006, 02:31 PM »
Looks like there might be ice! I am heading to Big tomorrow and will swing by White to check conditions.
Due to previous poor conditions, I don't do Contests here in Sullivan County any more. I will probably fish--- somewhere but I sure won't support organizations that don't support us Fisherman. Some Crowns are not worth wearing!

Will let you know some condition reports thursday night.

Gary
If I agreed with you we would both be wrong!

Offline ShawnM

• IceShanty Mod Team
  • Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Captain of Team Mercer
« Reply #15 on: Feb 08, 2006, 02:50 PM »
Gary,
How is ice fishing on Big? I only fished it by boat. Let us know the ice will be up there Sat & Sun

Offline Gamalot

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #16 on: Feb 08, 2006, 03:45 PM »
BP is a kind of funny pond. If you happen to be there when they happen to bite you can do fantastic! If you go when slow it blows.
Boreing days highly out number great days but then________ you get a great one.
I have had plenty of days when you could not get a flag to pop and a few when you could not keep them set.
Will post info and sure would like to post a few pics if I can thursday night. Nice trout in those waters but others are just as happy with pickerel and pannies.
Where you fish is not as important as when you fish or how you fish. I have yet to figure out the last two. LOL
I do not ever have much luck at White Lake except in early spring. Others who adore nice pearch are enamored with the lake. It does have some very large Lakers but I have never figured them out durring HW. Also has some nice Browns but again, I do way better on BP for these.
Contests don't do it for me but I do really enjoy get togethers where money is not an issue or driving force. Seems here in these hills it brings out the very worst in people and I would much prefer to see it as a kids contest but even this would be a disgrace here.
If I do fish this week end it would certainly be to get with Ice balls and his crew just to have some fun. Some real jokers in that crew and worth the cost of admission!
We try to do a BP get together but this year has been hit and miss. Great early ice and then AS CHEENBASSHEAD SAYS, "SH!T". I can't say it the normal way!

Gary

Offline IceBalls

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #17 on: Feb 08, 2006, 04:18 PM »
Gary:
We all know that the contests are B.S.,but that's not the reason we are fishing them.  It's just an excuse to get together with other IS guys and have some laughs and good food.  We don't care if we catch fish or not --- we drop 'em back down the hole anyway!
Come on up on the 18th/19th and have some laughs with us!!!!!

Rodger

Offline ShawnM

• IceShanty Mod Team
  • Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Captain of Team Mercer
« Reply #18 on: Feb 10, 2006, 11:58 AM »
21st ANNUAL KING OF THE ICE FISHING CONTEST
Kauneonga Lake and White Lake
Registration at State Launch Site
on Kauneonga Lake & White lake
sullivancountyconserva [email protected]
   6am-3pm; $12/youth $5 preregistration; $15 day of contest   Up to $2,000 in cash prizes for biggest: Pickerel, Trout, Perch/Crappie and Sunnies/Blue Gill (kids only on last one). $500 prize for largest fish (King of the Ice).

For More Information Call:
You can call to preregistration they can do it on the phone .I just did it 845-794-2000 .

Offline icetime

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #19 on: Feb 12, 2006, 08:40 AM »
Hey Rodger, are you up to your "ICEBALLS" in snow yet? ;D Looks like you guys are getting blasted down there! I am going to try to make the Highland derby next Saturday, I"ll keep you posted.

Offline ShawnM

• IceShanty Mod Team
  • Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Captain of Team Mercer
« Reply #20 on: Feb 12, 2006, 09:41 AM »
We fish Highland on Sat there is 7 1/2 inches of black ice. But there is a lot of air in the ice . We did OK Auggie /Bob got 12 keeper perch & two bass one was 19 1/2 inches. I got 21 keeper perch a lot of small 6 inch perch put back in. We didn't get any pickerel but we didn't go for them we fished in 15 to 20 feet of water . Now next week we will be going for them for the contest. Auggie & I will be there & maybe AJ

Offline IceBalls

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #21 on: Feb 12, 2006, 05:43 PM »
ICETIME:  How ya doin' buddy???  Yes, the ol' IceBalls are just a couple of inches above the snow right now!!!  But, NEVER FEAR, IceBalls will be up there in Sullivan County by the weekend!!!  Now, if I can only figure out a way to get out of my driveway ;D ;D ;D

SHAWN:  Last time we were up at Highland we fished 15 - 20 Ft. also and got only Yellows.  Then we moved to 6-7 Ft. and got a lot of Pickerel!!  Seems they like the shallows.  This was in the back end of the lake.  Probably going to fish there for the contest, unless you've got a better suggestion.   This snow is going to be a B#@ch to walk thru,dragging my sled!!!

Offline Gamalot

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #22 on: Feb 12, 2006, 06:47 PM »
Snow won't be much of a problem at all up here Iceballs, For a change you got it all!

We had about 4 inches and further north and west got less.

Gary

Offline ShawnM

• IceShanty Mod Team
  • Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Captain of Team Mercer
« Reply #23 on: Feb 12, 2006, 07:12 PM »
Rodger,
When you are talking about the back part of the lake .Is that by the small cove by the houses or the big cove by wood's? I know where we are going  ;) . But I think I can tell you  ;D .I will call you on Thursday to talk about it. We might fish the hump  ;). But we will have to get out there no later then 6:15 /6:30 .Or other guy's will look to go there.We'll talk
Shawn

Offline icetime

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #24 on: Feb 12, 2006, 08:24 PM »
ATVS allowed on highland? I am going to try to make it Saturday, but it won't be easy,I am going to Indian lake the following weekend!

Offline IceBalls

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #25 on: Feb 12, 2006, 09:39 PM »
ICETIME:
I saw some guys riding ATV's on Highland last time we were there, so I suppose it's OK.

Rodger

Offline IceBalls

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #26 on: Feb 12, 2006, 09:46 PM »
SHAWN:

Only been to Highland once, so I don't know it well.  The cove we fished in had houses all around it with an inlet on the right.  We actually walked onto the lake accross someone's driveway (there was a small drop, about 2 Ft. at the lake's edge off the driveway onto the ice.)
Where is "the hump"?       

Offline ShawnM

• IceShanty Mod Team
  • Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Captain of Team Mercer
« Reply #27 on: Feb 13, 2006, 08:02 AM »
You were in the small cove. The hump is about 150 to 200 yard's out from that cove to the right. It's like between both coves. I have it marked with my GPS  ;D

Offline icetime

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #28 on: Feb 13, 2006, 02:51 PM »
Does anybody have a phone # for the highland derby? I would like to check on the use of ATVs.

Offline IceBalls

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #29 on: Feb 13, 2006, 09:58 PM »
ICETIME:
The Highland Lake contest is sponsored by the Sand Beach Bar iHighland Lake, NY     You can get their number from 411 information ( I had it, but can't find it now).

Rodger

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.