Author Topic: custom rods for spoons  (Read 1558 times)

Offline chop1

• Team IceShanty Regular
custom rods for spoons
« on: Dec 02, 2016, 06:33 PM »
hay guys , there lots on here about  custom rods but not much on matching up a rod with different size of lures /spoons etc .  I'm in  the market for my first high end rod but not sure what to get . I mostly fish for rainbows and some small perch . I like to use 1/8th oz slender spoon and small darters down to small jigs . Is there a rod that can do it all ? can you guys lead me in the wright direction . i don't no much about noodle rod ,i think the tip would be to soft for spoon ? was looking at tuc rod , tb and dh.  what to look for ?
cheers
ps this is x-mas gift to my self . lol

Offline chilly-willy

• Team IceShanty Maniac
Re: custom rods for spoons
« Reply #1 on: Dec 02, 2016, 06:56 PM »
How big are the trout ? I thinking 2to 3 pounds max go with a medium action  rod  with 6 pound test max.. I use four pound test some times with the trout we catch around here and it lands them but got to get the ice scoops handle  hook under the gill plate so I can pull the head threw the hole.. with out breaking the line .. very tricky to do but can be done.. as for noodles there for smaller perch and pan fish so don't get those.. their to light of duty..  that would not be a good thing trying to land a 4 pound trout on a broken noodle rod.. get a good reel with a very smooth drag to help protect that lighter line . On a medium action rod also spring bobbers are way to go .. on the smaller stuff like smaller jig heads.. I use schoolly bobbers but also have made a few I prefer Scholly bobbers cause there senitive but every one has preferences to what they like..

Offline riverbottoms

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Hardwater Hardcore
« Reply #2 on: Dec 02, 2016, 07:02 PM »
Check out Thornebros.com 

Offline lostbrit

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #3 on: Dec 02, 2016, 07:54 PM »
I fish for trout a lot here in Colorado, I like my DH perch pounder and TB perch sweetheart.  To be honest they are very similar and any one would make a great xmas gift to yourself

Offline JiggingIowa

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #4 on: Dec 02, 2016, 08:04 PM »
I think the TUCR bullwhip fits the bill for that kind of versitility

Offline chop1

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #5 on: Dec 02, 2016, 08:58 PM »
I looked again at Thorne bros but they don't show a split grip so looked at tuned up
And the precision power looks good for the spoons I fish just not sure about the small jigs.
 o boy I may need 2  rods lol

Offline JiggingIowa

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #6 on: Dec 02, 2016, 09:23 PM »
 If you're talking about the TUCR precision noodle, it's sensitive enough for 2-3mm tungsten jigs. The Bullwhip is great for 4mm tungstens and up, along with 1/8oz spoons and up

Offline chop1

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #7 on: Dec 02, 2016, 09:53 PM »
I was looking at the precision power rod ,not noodle . They have 3 different precision
Rods at tucr

Offline JiggingIowa

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #8 on: Dec 02, 2016, 10:56 PM »
I realize that they have the different precision rods, just thought you maybe got them mixed up based on your discription of what kind of fishing you do. My bad. I really think that rod would be over doing it for what you are fishing for/with, though.

Offline ejdelvo28

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #9 on: Dec 02, 2016, 11:18 PM »
The TUCR Bullwhip can handle both spoons and jigs but it really depends on the size of the trout.  If you're consistently icing 2lb+ fish, you may want to consider a Precision.  Precision power is more geared toward larger fish.

So, Bullwhip if the trout are smaller, precision if they're bigger.

Offline JiggingIowa

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #10 on: Dec 02, 2016, 11:45 PM »
I feel 100% comfortable bringing in fish 5lbs+ with my bullwhip

Offline Crawdad28

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #11 on: Dec 03, 2016, 02:27 AM »
Precision vs bullwhip? Two different rods, one is a noodle for sight fishing, the other is for a feel bite.
I'd go bullwhip.

Offline chilly-willy

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #12 on: Dec 03, 2016, 04:07 AM »
I looked again at Thorne bros but they don't show a split grip so looked at tuned up
And the precision power looks good for the spoons I fish just not sure about the small jigs.
 o boy I may need 2  rods lol

Ya they don't got the split grip option on the dh rods either..  it it were me I would go precision or bull whip the precision power is way to much rod form what there saying and your saying.. I think it is a medium heavy action were the precision is a medium and the bull whip is a medium lite .. me I would consider the perch your catching if there not much bigger then 6to8 inches go with the bullwhip now if your getting huge perch like the great lake are known for 12 to 15 inches.. you may want. A bigger rod like the precision ..but  not the precision power. The pp rod will be way to stiff for perch and is a laker rod for lake around here that are inland .. now if I was to go to lake huron or even lk. michigan I would want a heavy action rod or extra heavy rod for lake trout.  There is a difference between are inland lake fish and our great Lakes fish in size  cause of growing ability from the great lakes.. now in the pacific north west  the fish like salmon and steel head are bigger then ours cause they are  ocean ran and have the ability to grow much bigger.. then their great lakes counter parts.. to bad you don't build your own rods cause buying a custom is nothing like building it your self and fishing it!!!

Offline chop1

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #13 on: Dec 03, 2016, 10:06 AM »
Thanks for all your help guys . i like to go on the lite site so i going to look closer at the bullwhip!
cheers ;D

Offline chilly-willy

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #14 on: Dec 03, 2016, 04:32 PM »
Thanks for all your help guys . i like to go on the lite site so i going to look closer at the bullwhip!
cheers ;D

Good call..

Offline bigstorm

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #15 on: Dec 03, 2016, 05:40 PM »

here is a good graph showing all of the TUCR rods.  I currently have a Precision Noodle and a Bullwhip along with a DH Customs Perch Pounder. For 1/8oz I prefer the Perch Pounder over the Bullwhip

https://www.in-depthoutdoors.com/wp-content/uploads/2016/11/TUCR-Rod-Spectrum-and-Ordering-Options-6-1-1.pdf

I am in the market for another rod and the TUCR Precision is on my short list

Offline chop1

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #16 on: Dec 03, 2016, 06:35 PM »
Can you explain why you prefer the perch pounder over the bull whip? I'm looking for
A split grip handle for a inline reel , not sure if dh offers one

Offline bigstorm

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #17 on: Dec 03, 2016, 08:05 PM »
In my opinion, the Bullwhip is a noodle rod with a much softer tip than a graphite rod. With a 1/8oz spoon I feel the Bullwhip is already loaded up quite a bit so a subtle bite may be a challenge to see. With a graphite rod, you can feel the bite.

That said, the TUCR Precision which fits smaller than 1/8oz to 3/16oz+ is offered with a split grip. I don't know if DH Customs or Thorn Bros have the split grip on the Perch Pound or Perch Sweetheart

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.