Author Topic: pulling an otter pro cabin  (Read 3536 times)

Offline Salmonquest

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • "I once killed a gopher with a stick"
pulling an otter pro cabin
« on: Dec 01, 2016, 09:44 AM »
I got an otter pro cabin last year. I haven't tried it but I know it's pretty heavy to tow while walking. I have a snowmobile for when the ice is thicker but like to get out early. Trying to think of a way to make the sled pull easier. Any suggestions??

Offline hardwater diehard

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceshantyInsanity
Re: pulling an otter pro cabin
« Reply #1 on: Dec 01, 2016, 09:46 AM »
Hyfax and/or Smity Sled
Give a man a fish he eats for a day .Teach a man to ice fish he has an obsession for a lifetime

Offline frogmaster

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #2 on: Dec 01, 2016, 09:46 AM »
search "smitty sled" a TON of ideas there.
Fish FEAR ME ;)

Offline Salmonquest

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #3 on: Dec 01, 2016, 09:51 AM »
I'm familiar with the smitty sleds. I have down hilss skies. My question is do i fasten them to the bottom and put holes in it?? Do I build a sled I can put the sled on and takr it off.

How much of a difference do t he hyfax make. I thought I heard it was mostly just for protection. sliding on ice isn't an issue its the snow and drifts.

Offline lowaccord66

• Team IceshantyInsanity
« Reply #4 on: Dec 01, 2016, 09:53 AM »
Bare ice the cabin will tow fine walking but .5" of snow will make it impossible.  Hyfax runners would not save you....I have the xt650 cottage and I nearly died trying to tow it by hand in 4" of powder!

Offline joemx1825

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #5 on: Dec 01, 2016, 10:07 AM »
you build a small wood platform that the ski's mount to and the Cabin sits on while pulling it... as others have said, look for the Smitty Sled post, lots of ideas in there on how to build it...

Offline hardwater diehard

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceshantyInsanity
« Reply #6 on: Dec 01, 2016, 10:09 AM »
I'm familiar with the smitty sleds. I have down hilss skies. My question is do i fasten them to the bottom and put holes in it?? Do I build a sled I can put the sled on and takr it off.

How much of a difference do t he hyfax make. I thought I heard it was mostly just for protection. sliding on ice isn't an issue its the snow and drifts.

Do not attach them to your shelters tub

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Smitty-Sled-Kit-/142196369679?hash=item211b90690f:g:wKQAAOSwOyJX7-GN
Give a man a fish he eats for a day .Teach a man to ice fish he has an obsession for a lifetime

Offline Rags777

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #7 on: Dec 01, 2016, 10:25 PM »
I used a couple of old aluminum Concrete screed boards to makeep a frame, then got four 6 " threaded risers with foot plates on them to attached skis to frame. Couple of eyeballs and a few bungees and there ya go. Light weight and will pull with one finger through snow, on ice the damn thing is actually trying to catch you!

Offline Bullet21XD

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #8 on: Dec 02, 2016, 01:10 AM »
I walk all the time with my Cabin ProXT. I also have a smitty sled...but the Otter sled pulls just fine without it. The smitty sled is just more of a hassle.

Try it first. It isn't that bad. If you have several inches of snow, it may be different.

Offline esox_xtm

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShantyholic
  • It's Showtime!
« Reply #9 on: Dec 02, 2016, 05:27 AM »
I've got a mag Otter cabin and no ATV or sled (yet). Couldn't resist the end of the season sale on the behemoth....

It is a lot to pull but a harness make it much easier. Doesn't have to be anything fancy either. All I use is about 15 - 20 feet of 2 -3" nylon web doubled into a big loop. Step inside the loop, pull it up under your arms and put the end over your head across the back of your neck. Instant easy in, easy out drag harness. I did also add a "chest/waist" strap that slides to adjust the pulling point a little lower.

I'm over 60 and I (we) can pile that bad boy full and I can still manage it unless the snow is very deep. I'll bet a Smitty option would cure that...
To fish or not to fish? That's a stupid question!

“Imagination is the only weapon in the war against reality.”― Lewis Carroll

Offline Bartb

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #10 on: Dec 02, 2016, 06:29 AM »
I have an otter lodge pro with hifax.  It's almost unpullable if there is snow cover, it takes two grown men and we are 100% shot after about a mile walk.  On ice it pulls just fine.

I built a smitty sled for thin ice this year and a Polaris ranger for later in the year. 
I fish a lot....I catch a little.

Offline Salmonquest

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #11 on: Dec 02, 2016, 07:46 AM »
I have skis and have built two versions of smitty sleds. I have two issues.

One keeping the shelter on the sled.

two the cross members catching deep snow and slush and acting like a plow.

I built risers for my sled. I've done both 2x6 along the length of the ski and also 2x4 rectangles up 8" I am just not sure best way to strenthen them cross ways and attach sled without adding a lot of weight.

btw I wouldn't recommend a smitty sled on early ice. You want as much surface area as possible for weight distrbution.

Offline frogmaster

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #12 on: Dec 02, 2016, 09:24 AM »
I actually did a modified smitty sled by bolting my down hill skis directly to the bottom of my frabill 2-3 Flip Over sled and the inside bottom of my sled was reinforced with 1/2" Plywood.  The way I see it:
1.  Will not fall off
2. protects the actual sled bottom for longer life
3. reduces friction greatly
4. NO extra weight building the smitty frame or riasers (how-ever) one could argue the 1/2" plywood would be about an equal offset weight wise
5.  YES I only have about 1 to 2 inches of "clearance" but it ALWAYS will ride up on top of snow.
6.  I prefer to pull my snowmobile after 6" of ice.
7.  The pull rope is LOW on the sled so there is an upward lift action when pulled too

Fish FEAR ME ;)

Offline Vex-Um

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #13 on: Dec 02, 2016, 12:52 PM »
They are heavy, but from my experience there is a bit of exaggeration in this thread. As stated, if there is no snow the shack pulls very easily. If there is 2-3 inches of fresh snow on the ice then hyfax will make a big difference.  If there is more than that then you are just plowing the snow as you walk.  It does get pretty hard, but if you have the energy you can still do pull it a long ways.  With that said, I'm in the market for a hub shelter for when I don't have my atv or snowmobile along for the ride...
Rippin' Lips and Jerkin' Jaws

Offline redneckdan

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #14 on: Dec 02, 2016, 01:22 PM »
Not exaggerated at all. I've pulled a 300lb 'load' four and a half miles out of the BWCA on a UHMW toboggan in 16" of snow and would rate that 'not bad'. Otter sleds for some reason, in snow they pull hard. Once they get scratched/gouged up they get worse.

Offline grizzlyhackle

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #15 on: Dec 02, 2016, 02:00 PM »
Same as most comments....the SOB is dead weight in any sort of snow, even with hyfax. For me, the Otter comes out when the wheeler comes out

Offline Salmonquest

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #16 on: Dec 04, 2016, 08:52 PM »
Thanks guys.

So I have a set of skis that I pulled off a different smitty sled. My thoughts are hifax=lots of holes and $40 more dollars. Skis=free, less holes and maybe better. I have the bottoms countersunk and stainless screws. I want to go right to the sled. I thought about mirroring a 2x2, 2x3 or2x4 on the inside and lagscrewing sandwiching the sled. I could use bolts and washers as well.

I am not sure If I should go ski, 2x2, sled inside board. this would be simplest and lightest I would guess I would line it up with outside groves for hifax.

Or should I use a 2x6 and try to raise it up more?? It would add weight to an already beefy set up.

So if you have any experience or advice in mounting or fastening I would love to hear.

Offline esox_xtm

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShantyholic
  • It's Showtime!
« Reply #17 on: Dec 04, 2016, 08:56 PM »
A couple heavy coats of good ol' Johnson's Paste Wax helps a lot.
To fish or not to fish? That's a stupid question!

“Imagination is the only weapon in the war against reality.”― Lewis Carroll

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.