The ice fishing PA boards are sponsored by:

Author Topic: Jaw jacker tip up  (Read 3333 times)

Offline Jason1817

• Team IceShanty Regular
Jaw jacker tip up
« on: Nov 30, 2016, 09:11 PM »
I was thinking about buying 5 of the jaw jacker tip ups....do any of yous own any  if so how do u like them do the preform well ?

Offline chuck22

• Team IceShanty Regular
Re: Jaw jacker tip up
« Reply #1 on: Nov 30, 2016, 09:26 PM »
I made my own out of pvc with a coat hanger trigger very easy to make and cheap love the way they work I hated  fishing tipups but now they hat I have a rod to real in it is a hell of a lot better they work great I wouldn't spend that much to buy the real one the pvc ones cost about 5/7 bucks each

Offline TIME2FISH

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #2 on: Nov 30, 2016, 09:58 PM »
I was thinking about buying 5 of the jaw jacker tip ups....do any of yous own any  if so how do u like them do the preform well ?

I got one at first to try it. After several trips with the "J J" hooking and catching more Trout and pannies than I did by hand jigging - I bought two more. There have been times when
the bite was on, all I had time to use was the "JJs". You can get 1 and try it out first, but if it works for you like it did for me, you'll be getting more.

"Age is an issue of mind over matter. If you don't mind, it doesn't matter." - Mark Twain

Offline Peccavi18

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #3 on: Dec 03, 2016, 01:44 AM »
I bought one last year and keep checking and hoping for a deal (Cabelas had them for $30 each last year)to buy a handful more of them for me and my brother. We easily caught more fish on that one Jawjacker than the 2 of us did combined all season even when we only took it out with us about 1/2 the time. It definitely made fishing alot more fun, especially because we didn't have a flasher, and the days when no one was finding a consistent bite, it just kept working while we were moving around

Offline Jason1817

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #4 on: Dec 03, 2016, 08:15 AM »
Excellent thank you very much. I'm ordering them today.

Offline russelln114

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #5 on: Dec 03, 2016, 09:39 PM »
I used to say that if i forgot my vexilar I'd turn around and get it. Now the same holds true with my jawjackers. These things are great for light biting  finicky fish. Cabalas and the jawjacker website sell them. There's a lot of great videos on YouTube explaining how they are set up and used.

Offline chez

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #6 on: Dec 05, 2016, 06:52 AM »
MY DAUGHTER BOUGHT ME 2 FOR CHRISTMAS LAST YEAR..
I DONT CARE FOR THEM..SORRY I HAVE TO DISAGREE WITH EVERYONE.
I USED THE 8 TRIPS LAST SEASON.CAUGHT 1 PERCH.SEEMS LIKE WHEN THE FISH HITS,,IT RIPS THE HOOK OUT OF THE FISHES MOUTH.
AND A MISS HIT THE BAIT GETS RIPPED FROM THE HOOK.
I WATCHED ALL THE UTUBE VIDEOS ON THEM AND IT SEEMS IM DOING EVERYTHING RIGHT.
I HAVE 1 BUDDY THAT CATCHES FISH EVERYTIME ON THEM AND A FEW OTHER BUDDIES THAT HAD THE SAME SESULTS AS ME..
I GOTTA KEEP USEING THEM BECAUSE MY DAUGHTER ASK ME EVERY TRIP ,,HOWS THOSE JAWJACKERS WORKING..I SAY GREAT BUT DONT BUY ME ANY MORE CAUSE YOU CAN ONLY USE 2  LOL.
IM GUNNA TRY THEM FOR TROUT ON UPPERWOODS THIS SEASON,I HOPE I HAVE A BIT BETTER LUCK.
IM GLAD YOU GUYS LIKE THEM AND HAVE BEEN HAVING GOOD LUCK WITH THEM..
USE WHAT WORKS FOR YOU. :)

Offline delawareriver

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #7 on: Dec 05, 2016, 07:17 PM »
I USED THE 8 TRIPS LAST SEASON.CAUGHT 1 PERCH.SEEMS LIKE WHEN THE FISH HITS,,IT RIPS THE HOOK OUT OF THE FISHES MOUTH.
I HAVE 1 BUDDY THAT CATCHES FISH EVERYTIME ON THEM AND A FEW OTHER BUDDIES THAT HAD THE SAME SESULTS AS ME..
I GOTTA KEEP USEING THEM BECAUSE MY DAUGHTER ASK ME EVERY TRIP ,,HOWS THOSE JAWJACKERS WORKING..I SAY GREAT BUT DONT BUY ME ANY MORE CAUSE YOU CAN ONLY USE 2  LOL.
IM GUNNA TRY THEM FOR TROUT ON UPPERWOODS THIS SEASON,I HOPE I HAVE A BIT BETTER LUCK.
use a softer rod if targeting fish with soft mouths.

Offline Peccavi18

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #8 on: Dec 05, 2016, 11:59 PM »
Another thing is dont set the rod holder all the way up, leave it leaned down in the middle or on the low setting and it will hook softer and not rip through the lip. Also what weight rod are you using I was catching most of my bass and panfish on a med light. This year I have fiberglass rods in everything from L to MH so I can try and match what I'm fishing for. 

Offline bsapp15401

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #9 on: Dec 06, 2016, 06:56 AM »

I am not familiar with the real jaw jackers as I have a homemade, I use a Styrofoam bobber between one of the sets of eyes. If I have big bait I use a bigger bobber, if I have small bait I use a smaller bobber. If you don't do this give it a try, it lets the fish get the bait in its mouth and moving before it sets the hook...also you can see what is going on over there too.

Offline hardwater diehard

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceshantyInsanity
« Reply #10 on: Dec 06, 2016, 07:04 AM »
chez may be this will help

I am not familiar with the real jaw jackers as I have a homemade, I use a Styrofoam bobber between one of the sets of eyes. If I have big bait I use a bigger bobber, if I have small bait I use a smaller bobber. If you don't do this give it a try, it lets the fish get the bait in its mouth and moving before it sets the hook...also you can see what is going on over there too.

Saw this on the AF website ...works at home yet to try it on ice ...not familiar with the Jaw Jackers

To build a deploying bobber, simply take a paperclip or piece of metal wire and string it through the bobber, leaving about two inches of wire on each side.  Bend the wire at a 90° angle in a straight line on each edge of the bobber.  Then take a pliers and wrap each end of the wire around to create a half circle.  The bobber can now be placed on the line where it normally would, and once the fish trips the Automatic Fisherman, the bobber will fly off and you no longer have to worry about it while fighting the fish!  This modification is extremely useful when changing bobber weights is necessary. which I will discuss next.

https://automaticfisherman.com/2016/01/automatic-fisherman-modifications-to-help-catch-more-fish/
Give a man a fish he eats for a day .Teach a man to ice fish he has an obsession for a lifetime

Offline Rtrucking40

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #11 on: Dec 06, 2016, 08:26 AM »
Chez serously you better just turn in those jawjackers before you hurt someone... i no you have launched a few perch into the stratosphere with em but for everyones saftey leave them home! Heh Really tho i do like my jackers but i had to adapt the bait and hooks to them. I have had good luck using jigs on em and smaller hooks versus tipups where i have my best luck with bigger hooks. Also went to a braid no strech line on my jawjacker rods this year. I have a feeling it may further increase hookups

Offline Jason1817

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #12 on: Dec 06, 2016, 02:08 PM »
What's the best way to rig up with minnows on the jaw jacker ? Treble in dorsel fin and slip weight, threaded minnow with a split hook, jig head, single plain hook...I did place my order for the jaw jackers based on all the insight thank you. I'm sure wax worms on a 3mm wolfwram jig would be awesome for perch however I'd like to slam some walleyes....

Offline Peccavi18

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #13 on: Dec 06, 2016, 11:29 PM »
I usually run a small jig or jig head with a small hook though the mouth and out between the eyes of the minnow so it sits horizontal. Sometimes I switch to blade with a trebble and a fish head or a few mousies.(don't have as good of luck this way but it is something I do try occasionally)

Offline Peccavi18

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #14 on: Dec 06, 2016, 11:35 PM »
Another mod I use is to ditch the cheap plastic hoops that come with the JJ and tye some over hand loops out of 40-85lb braid. They are much easier to hook through the eyelet and they are flexible and fall out of the way while reeling in.

I keep saying I'm gonna hold out and not order more jawjackers till after Christmas but everytime I read this thread I keep getting closer to just pulling the trigger on 3 more.

Offline chez

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #15 on: Dec 07, 2016, 06:40 AM »
Chez serously you better just turn in those jawjackers before you hurt someone... i no you have launched a few perch into the stratosphere with em but for everyones saftey leave them home! Heh Really tho i do like my jackers but i had to adapt the bait and hooks to them. I have had good luck using jigs on em and smaller hooks versus tipups where i have my best luck with bigger hooks. Also went to a braid no strech line on my jawjacker rods this year. I have a feeling it may further increase hookups

LOL BUDDY..
GREAT TO HEAR FROM YOU ;)
I GOTTA GET A FEW NEW RODS FOR THEM JJ.ERS.
GUYS THANKS FOR ALL THE TIPS ON USING THE JJ ERS.
IM GUNNA GIVE THEM ANOTHER SHOT THIS SEASON...
RTRUCKING,,STAY INTOUCH BUDDY!!!!!!!

Offline Rtrucking40

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #16 on: Dec 07, 2016, 09:13 AM »
Will do chez wont be long now! probably will be fishin next saturday slaphappy was laughin at me... cant let one cold shower hold ya back now...!!!

Offline chez

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #17 on: Dec 08, 2016, 06:25 AM »
HOW IS SLAPHAPPY????
MAN HESA GREAT KID..
IS HE STILL HERE OR GONE BACK???
IF HES HERE WE ALL GOTTA GET OUT ON THE ICE........

Offline Rtrucking40

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #18 on: Dec 08, 2016, 10:00 AM »
Hes still here. He just took a trip to mn but hes back. Well all get out lots this year. I cant wait for a beer on the ice its torture

Offline chez

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #19 on: Dec 09, 2016, 06:17 AM »
10 4  BUDDY.!!!!!!!!!!!!

Offline russelln114

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #20 on: Dec 09, 2016, 02:35 PM »
I have learned  by trial-and-error that downsizing my hook when going after panfish gives me much better hookups. I use as small as a number 16 trebble with great success I also adjust my trigger more tightly and I don't use my Ultra Light rods.Recently I had a chance to purchase the jawjacker rods. These rods fit the jawjacker well.

Offline JiggerMan

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • one of my future ice buddies
« Reply #21 on: Dec 10, 2016, 07:04 PM »
Chez we should get together and set our JJ's  for some trout or eyes.   Thinking Harvey's, PACK, or a lake that shall remain nameless 

RGIII keeps a bench mighty warm

Offline russelln114

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #22 on: Dec 27, 2016, 10:31 AM »
Well I have had the chance to use the new jaw Jacker rods these things are pretty awesome. What a lot of people don't understand is that you can't use an ultra-light rod in these things. When fishing a little deeper water they don't have enough snap. The jaw Jacker panfish rods are 29 inches and are a little stiffer. They are well-balanced and have a cork handle I only missed one fish last time out and have caught fish that were 4 inches

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.