Author Topic: "Sell" Me A New Shanty  (Read 3989 times)

Offline tench

• Team IceShanty Maniac
"Sell" Me A New Shanty
« on: Nov 29, 2016, 10:12 PM »
I'm in the market this year for a new hub shanty. I usually fish with 3 other people, so space for 4+ people necessary. Too many options for me to weed through, and not much of a local selection so I'll likely be ordering online. Sell me on one!  :icefish:
The charm of fishing is that it is the pursuit of what is elusive but attainable,
a perpetual series of occasions for hope.
~John Buchan

Offline chilly-willy

• Team IceShanty Maniac
Re: "Sell" Me A New Shanty
« Reply #2 on: Nov 30, 2016, 01:11 AM »
There's these to I know montey is a clam guy so he's limited to just clam  here is some other stuff to view to .not saying clam is all that bad either just showing extra stuff..

http://www.cabelas.com/product/eskimo-reg-fatfish-6120i-six-sided-ice-shelter/1851442.uts?destination=%2Fcatalog%2Fbrowse%2Fshelters-sleds%2F_%2FN-1100505%2FNo-0%2FNs-CATEGORY_SEQ_104561280%3FrecordsPerPage%3D18

http://www.cabelas.com/product/eskimo-174-quickfish-8482-5-insulated-ice-shelter/2339012.uts?destination=%2Fcatalog%2Fbrowse%2F%3FN%3D1100505%26No%3D72%26Ns%3DCATEGORY_SEQ_104561280%26WTz_st%3D%26WTz_stype%3DSP%26recordsPerPage%3D18

Also check out otter outdoors they got a shelter that's fairly good to that has 101 Sq ft but that's according to them...

Offline VORK23

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #3 on: Nov 30, 2016, 04:13 AM »
The Otter XTH Resort looks nice. checked it out at L and M here last week deffinitley enough room to fish 3-4 no problem with gear inside.

http://www.landmsupply.com/department/sporting-goods/ice-fishing/fish-houses/hub-style/otter-xth-resort-hub-ice-shelter

Offline trundog

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #4 on: Nov 30, 2016, 06:32 AM »
Bass pro has the Clam Corp Bigfoot™ XL4000T on sale for $296, down from $370

http://www.basspro.com/Clam-Corp-Bigfoot-XL4000T-Ice-Fishing-Shelter/product/1205290318/

Offline Monticatgeek

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #5 on: Nov 30, 2016, 01:06 PM »
There's these to I know montey is a clam guy so he's limited to just clam  here is some other stuff to view to .not saying clam is all that bad either just showing extra stuff..

http://www.cabelas.com/product/eskimo-reg-fatfish-6120i-six-sided-ice-shelter/1851442.uts?destination=%2Fcatalog%2Fbrowse%2Fshelters-sleds%2F_%2FN-1100505%2FNo-0%2FNs-CATEGORY_SEQ_104561280%3FrecordsPerPage%3D18

http://www.cabelas.com/product/eskimo-174-quickfish-8482-5-insulated-ice-shelter/2339012.uts?destination=%2Fcatalog%2Fbrowse%2F%3FN%3D1100505%26No%3D72%26Ns%3DCATEGORY_SEQ_104561280%26WTz_st%3D%26WTz_stype%3DSP%26recordsPerPage%3D18

Also check out otter outdoors they got a shelter that's fairly good to that has 101 Sq ft but that's according to them...

I have nothing against eskimo's for the most part except there is two minor things that are a negative to me. this would be the same if I wasn't staffing for Clam. the things I don't like about the eskimo hubs is they are a few inches shorter then the Clams and their storage bag is not over sized like the Clam bags are. if they would change this I would then say they would be equal to Clams. they also need to thicken up the fabric from their 300 denier they use now to a 600 denier fabric. there was a you tube video out there where a eskimo fat fish was put inside of a Clam Big Foot XL4000T when it was set up. the video was taken at the Thorne Brothers fish house modification get together the year the XL 4000T was introduced. this showed the size difference when set up.   as for otters they are good too. the beef I have with otter is the fact that they sold out to Rapala. they have gotten too big. same goes for when rapala bought strike master. My first sled style house was a otter wild series lodge and my first auger was a strike master Magnum III. use to love having strike master be in the next town over from me when I needed something for the auger. Same deal when Marcum was bought by them too.
Fishing is not a hobby it is a way of life

Offline jhunt8

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #6 on: Nov 30, 2016, 01:37 PM »
Have a Clam XL4000T. We have 5 people in it last winter no problem. Works great and the oversized bag is really nice to pack it back in after a long day.

Offline justborn

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #7 on: Nov 30, 2016, 01:54 PM »
the beef I have with otter is the fact that they sold out to Rapala. they have gotten too big. same goes for when rapala bought strike master. My first sled style house was a otter wild series lodge and my first auger was a strike master Magnum III. use to love having strike master be in the next town over from me when I needed something for the auger. Same deal when Marcum was bought by them too.

There's a lot of misinformation here...    Rapala did buy strikemaster, that is true.  The other statements are mostly false.  Otter is completely independent and no longer has a marketing agreement with Rapala.  Marcum has a marketing agreement. 

Interestingly, before Rapala bought Strikemaster, the original owner went with Chinese made blades and drills.  Rapala, in order to make things as it should be, bought mora of sweden as well.   

Offline Idahogator

• Team IceShantyholic
  • Muckeltonian Society
« Reply #8 on: Nov 30, 2016, 02:33 PM »
Assuming you have nothing negative on one of Iceshanty's sponsors ~ I'll give you a link to one.     BTW, I have the 4T.     ;)2

https://polarbird.com/

Offline iowapackfan

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #9 on: Nov 30, 2016, 02:42 PM »
Assuming you have nothing negative on one of Iceshanty's sponsors ~ I'll give you a link to one.     BTW, I have the 4T.     ;)2

https://polarbird.com/

(Image removed from quote.)
;D X2  :tipup: :tipup:
God,Country, and the Green Bay Packers

Offline Wyoming_Ice

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Ice Fishing God's Country "Big Wounderful Wyoming"
« Reply #10 on: Nov 30, 2016, 08:39 PM »
X4  ::)
I don't own one, but have fished with my friends that do.  They are the dope !!!
If was going to buy a new portable, this would be my choice.    :tipup:

Wyo Ice
RIP "LT"   This place just won't be the same...

Offline chilly-willy

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #11 on: Nov 30, 2016, 08:44 PM »
X5 that's probllay the best choice out there got to see one wile fishing guy and his wife were very comfy.. problem he has with it is no windows to see his rods very well but there are windows but high up and small .. polar bird has my vote as well ..

Offline PolarBird

• Iceshanty Sponsor
  • Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #12 on: Nov 30, 2016, 10:14 PM »
Their are a lot of really great shelters on the market right now so im sure you have a lot of questions and want your money to as far as it can.  Obviously we are partial to our Polar Bird products. I will let our products and customers speak for themselves but if you or anyone else has any questions at all feel free to ask on this thread or PM us.  Thank you everyone for your support.  :)
The Polar Bird Team

Offline sra61

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #13 on: Dec 01, 2016, 01:35 PM »
I don't have a hub style but if I did I think I would go with the Otter insulated models. Reed's has pretty good prices on them now, and free shipping, as well as a $20 gift card.

Offline river rat78

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #14 on: Dec 01, 2016, 02:04 PM »
Their are a lot of really great shelters on the market right now so im sure you have a lot of questions and want your money to as far as it can.  Obviously we are partial to our Polar Bird products. I will let our products and customers speak for themselves but if you or anyone else has any questions at all feel free to ask on this thread or PM us.  Thank you everyone for your support.  :)
Do you think that you will ever make the windows slightly larger and possibly lower them so you can see out of them while sitting?

Offline Deal Ninja

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #15 on: Dec 01, 2016, 02:25 PM »
I posted this pic in another thread awhile back.  This is my 3T, so smaller than the 4T that you would probably want.  You can get a feel for the size though, and see the size of the windows(top center).  There is also one on the opposite wall.  The floor is practically indestructible even purposely attempting to damage it with sharp cleats.  The quality of construction and attention to detail is top notch.  I am personally VERY happy with the purchase.  It will take very little to heat even in the most severe cold conditions.  The floor will easily pay for itself in fuel savings over a couple of years.

DON'T DILLY DALLY!!!   ;D

Polar Bird 3T, Eskimo EVO 1it
8" K-Drill, 8" Nils Arctic Trekker, Milwaukee Mud Mixer, Milwaukee 2704-22, Clam Plate, Adapters to make everything work with everything. lol
Marcum LX-7s (2) Dakota Lithium powered

Offline 3300

• Team IceShantyholic
  • Michigan Moderator.Not affiliated with MarCum Tech
« Reply #16 on: Dec 03, 2016, 10:37 AM »
GM 8x8I Pop up Shelter
http://www.iceshanty.com/ice_fishing/index.php?topic=320731.0
picked up mine for 150$, fully insulated and two free ice fishing chairs (40$ if sold separately) with rod holders and 60$ worth of eskimo ice (best there is for ice anglers) anchors and a pouch for them. built by eskimo who have been building a long time!

i like to see whats going on around me on all four sides all of the time while seated and fishing. removable and replaceable windows. can be used for hunting too or other outings. wish they would make screens for them next. i guess i could tho.

my other large hub is a shappell wide house 6500 that is now also fully insulated this year. mine is not. the gm8x8 is bigger as far as fishable space. their ice anchors are junk like most of the others and some thing you have to spend more to get nice ones.
also, i use motorcycle adjustable straps to secure the hub to the anchors and those double to keep things on my sled and smitty sled.

i prefer a flip over for convenience and speed by far tho. the hubs only go if i have to provide shelter for others such as my wife.
if i need to sleep on ice, i have the shappell dx300 suit case shanty with a hard floor and easier to heat than a hub.

hope you get a deal while cyber week is still going on what ever you decide to try next.

Offline tench

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #17 on: Dec 03, 2016, 03:02 PM »
Thanks for all the info guys
The charm of fishing is that it is the pursuit of what is elusive but attainable,
a perpetual series of occasions for hope.
~John Buchan

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.