The ice fishing PA boards are sponsored by:

Author Topic: drill auger  (Read 610 times)

Offline Icejigging10

• IceShanty Rookie
drill auger
« on: Nov 28, 2016, 12:51 AM »
i made a drill auger but will my dewalt 18v be good enough for the job? Does the dewalt have enough torque and will it burn up?

Offline Jason1817

• Team IceShanty Regular
Re: drill auger
« Reply #1 on: Nov 28, 2016, 02:07 AM »
I have used my dewalt drill for the last three years without any problems. I would recommend to have at least 2 fully charged batteries before heading to the ice. A few overnight trips I charged them in my jeep with a small invertor purchased from Walmart.... Does your drill have the speed selector swith on it like 1-2-3 ? I found that mine on the slowest speed (more torque) drilled flawlessly. I was able to drill holes to my heart was content ....I would say it's very important to have sharp auger blades....the auger I used was a 7inch bit....what size is your auger you'll be using ? One last thing careful with the chuck coming loose I attached a peace of wood that was roughly 1x2x12 inches to the auger drill attachment just in case the chuck came loose I wouldn't loose the auger on the bottom of the lake. The 1x2x12 would keep the auger bit from going down the hole.

Offline Icejigging10

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #2 on: Nov 28, 2016, 10:30 PM »
Yeah my auger got the 1-2-3 setting, and mine is 8in auger and i cut the bottom of a 5 gallon bucket off and put it on the auger so if the chuck would come out it would catch it. Roughly how many holes can u drill on one batt?

Offline Shack man Shoney

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #3 on: Nov 28, 2016, 11:03 PM »
Which Dewalt are you using???

Offline dmastrinejr

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #4 on: Nov 28, 2016, 11:05 PM »
Are u talking about what battery it is?

Offline Jason1817

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #5 on: Nov 29, 2016, 01:02 PM »
My batteries where new....and instead of holes drilled I'd say roughy 400 inches of ice so 4 inches of ice =100 holes however, yours is 8 inch auger mine was a 7 inch auger that's actually a 19% increase on ice removal....so my guess is you would drill about 324 inches of ice.

Offline Icejigging10

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #6 on: Nov 29, 2016, 07:25 PM »
wow i would of never guessed that many holes. Thats actually pretty nice. i saw they make a adapter fo the 18v dewalt so u can use the 20v batteries so i think im going to buy that adapter and 2 20v batteries

Offline deer george

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #7 on: Nov 30, 2016, 07:38 PM »
The batteries are important I have the clam converter kit and I use a 20 volt Dewalt at the slow speed with 4 amp hr. lithium batteries . I only use a 5" lazer auger as I mostly fish for pan fish. but with that set up I drilled 96 holes in 19" of ice with a fresh battery. I love that set up but I am thinking of moving up to a 6" auger.  When I go for bigger fish I take one of my power augers....

Offline hardwater diehard

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceshantyInsanity
« Reply #8 on: Nov 30, 2016, 08:07 PM »
wow i would of never guessed that many holes. Thats actually pretty nice. i saw they make a adapter fo the 18v dewalt so u can use the 20v batteries so i think im going to buy that adapter and 2 20v batteries

http://www.dewalt.com/en-us/products/accessories/batteries-and-chargers/batteries/18v-to-20v-adapter/dca1820
Give a man a fish he eats for a day .Teach a man to ice fish he has an obsession for a lifetime

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.