Author Topic: Ice Auger  (Read 8179 times)

Offline swoab47

• Team IceShanty Regular
Re: Ice Auger
« Reply #30 on: Dec 20, 2016, 05:05 PM »
Do NOT use the "Hammer" feature if your drill is so equipped.  With or without the Clam Plate.

You can get away with using a standard 6" or smaller hand auger with the $17 adapter if you have a good drill.  IF you want an 8" hole then I would suggest the plate or a K-Drill.  The K-Drill on a plate would probably be the best 8" option.

I have a 6 and an 8 inch K-Drill and there is a huge difference between the two as far as the amount of torque they require to cut.

Offline Hardwater Problem

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #31 on: Dec 20, 2016, 10:27 PM »
Do NOT use the "Hammer" feature if your drill is so equipped.  With or without the Clam Plate.

You can get away with using a standard 6" or smaller hand auger with the $17 adapter if you have a good drill.  IF you want an 8" hole then I would suggest the plate or a K-Drill.  The K-Drill on a plate would probably be the best 8" option.

I have a 6 and an 8 inch K-Drill and there is a huge difference between the two as far as the amount of torque they require to cut.
Maybe the drill I own already and the plate with a k drill.  Thanks so much everybody for taking the time to leave your experiences on here.  It has helped immensely.
IF YOU CAN'T STAND BEHIND OUR TROOPS, GO GET IN FRONT OF THEM!!!     

Offline swoab47

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #32 on: Dec 21, 2016, 08:24 AM »
Maybe the drill I own already and the plate with a k drill.  Thanks so much everybody for taking the time to leave your experiences on here.  It has helped immensely.

What drill do you have? 

Offline JigthePig

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #33 on: Dec 21, 2016, 04:51 PM »
Lowes has a DeWalt 20v Max 1/2" brushless drill / driver with 2 lithium ion batteries and a charger for $119. Think that's a good enough drill?
It's easy to grin when your ship comes in, and you've got the stock market beat.  But the man worthwhile, is the man who can smile, when his shorts are too tight in the seat.

Offline chilly-willy

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #34 on: Dec 21, 2016, 06:25 PM »
Lowes has a DeWalt 20v Max 1/2" brushless drill / driver with 2 lithium ion batteries and a charger for $119. Think that's a good enough drill?

Me don't think it will work if you like dewalt try the 995 or 996 there is another dewault but can't remember the model # off hand.. also  millwaukee fuel with 725 to 1200 inch pounds.. like the millwaukee fuel  2704-20 with 1200 inch pounds.. or event rigid 86116 model with 700 ich pounds.. this is  min for a 6 inch auger I would go is like 700 inch pounds

Offline chilly-willy

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #35 on: Dec 21, 2016, 06:30 PM »
Jig the pig I sent you a pm on a good hammer drill.. a rigid at a good price to be exact by the way those rigid drill have life time warranty which includes the batteries when bought with the drill .. so just a point ..

Offline icecker

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #36 on: Dec 24, 2016, 08:36 AM »
just got back from the first trip with the k-drill and Milwaukee fuel. drilled over 40 holes in 9in of ice  still had battery life. Lightened my load by 16lbs which was huge. So needless to say a huge fan of the set up                     
Tight lines, big eyes!

Offline eyewinder

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #37 on: Dec 24, 2016, 03:25 PM »
Actually kind of a game changer. . .sort of like getting my first Vex!

"We are hunters. . .when the buffalo are gone, we will hunt mice. . ."  Sioux war chief

Offline WalleyewarriorII

• IceShanty Rookie
  • Get busy living or get busy dying!!!!!!!!!!
« Reply #38 on: Dec 24, 2016, 05:41 PM »
My buddy has the Milwaukee 18 with the 8" k-drill.  Drilled 750" of ice the other day before battery went dead.  Most of the ice around here is 10" and he measured with a tape measure just to get a real idea how many holes you can get out of a battery.  I have the same set up and I can tell you it is a real game changer for me.  At age 60 any reduction in weight that I drag onto the ice is a big deal.  It works so easy that there is no shoulder discomfort, no upper back ache from pushing down on the auger or lifting it out of the hole once drilled.  If you can afford the setup it is well worth the money.  I have a Jiffy Pro 4 Lite propane that is going to see a lot of dust.

Offline fishm_n

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #39 on: Dec 24, 2016, 10:57 PM »
thanks...  you may have saved me a ton of money.  I have a Dewalt, and the Mora hand auger...  there is a 17.00 adapter for a drill, but I think the clam plate is the answer.  I don't want to pay 67.00 for the plate when the 17.00 adapter would work but I hear a bunch of guys saying that the drill alone will snap your wrists off!  Spend the money on the plate and not the drill!!!

I use a dewalt and it has a handle, with the handle I've never had an issue, and will probably never go back to gas and won't do propane.  I don't like the clam plate and can see no extra advantage, just extra weight.I run a dewalt

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #40 on: Dec 25, 2016, 03:28 AM »
I use a dewalt and it has a handle, with the handle I've never had an issue, and will probably never go back to gas and won't do propane.  I don't like the clam plate and can see no extra advantage, just extra weight.I run a dewalt
Great news...  what bit do you use...  k drill or a hand auger with an adapter?

Offline Rope

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #41 on: Dec 25, 2016, 07:29 AM »
I've been using a Milwaukee M18 for almost 4 years. I run a Strikemaster Synthetic 6" auger and a adapter. I love it. I've got a gas auger,that I'm trying to sell and nobody wants it because they are going to drills. The cool thing about the M18,is you have a Great drill for the rest of the year!
Freedom is NOT free...

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #42 on: Jan 12, 2017, 12:47 PM »
Here is what I ended up with...  I got a deal on a brushless drill driver/impact combo at Bomgaars.  The set came with (2) 5 AH batteries.  I was going to spend 5 to 6 hundred on an auger dedicated to ICE only so some new tools for all year round made the purchase a bit less painful at 300.00.  I had a mora hand auger already with newer blades, so no money there!!!  Last thought was to go with the clam plate at 60.00 or the adapter for 20.00.  I used My Cabelas bucks and got the clam plate.  Its nice, and as you can see in the pic, it will keep your new drill up and away from the slush.  I am certain, although I haven't tried it yet, that there would be little issues without a  clam plate if your drill has a side handle.  I have been getting a little grief from "gasser" guys on the big forum for simply posting my experiences with this new set up.  It cut 30 something holes in 20" of ice in Northern Minnesota over 3 days!!!  I recharged the battery every night, and kept them in the shack where it was warm while I was out.  There were very few guys at the time fishing on thicker ice than I was back in December and yet they all claim that I was going to wish I took my gasser for when the ice gets thick!!!  I was 8 inches thicker already than most that were giving me a hard time!!!  If money for a new auger is an issue and you currently own a hand auger, don't hesitate in considering a setup like this. 

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #43 on: Jan 14, 2017, 11:21 PM »
Last two cents on this topic...  Went out to Standing Bear tonight and only drilled two holes.  My six year old carried this auger setup out to the ice, and it cut through in about 3 seconds.  Anybody on the market for a new auger setup, don't overlook one similar to this.  I never measured the ice but I am guessing it to be about 8 inches.  This went through like lightning and I shot all of the shavings right back down the hole in reverse mode.  Two quick scoops of the hole and we were fishing!!!

Offline GrabLifeByTheGills

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #44 on: Jan 15, 2017, 06:09 PM »
Well looks like I'm jumping on the band wagon and getting the clam plate and a 20 volt dewalt tomorrow. My only concern is the 2ah batteries anyone have an idea how long they will last say cutting 10" of ice. Also I'll be running a 8" mora for the auger itself.

Offline ICEVEINS

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #45 on: Jan 15, 2017, 07:02 PM »
hi, biditbob auctions at biditbob.com has a very nice used ice auger for sale being auctioned tuesday evening, bid live online from your home, pick it up the next day

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #46 on: Jan 15, 2017, 11:48 PM »
Well looks like I'm jumping on the band wagon and getting the clam plate and a 20 volt dewalt tomorrow. My only concern is the 2ah batteries anyone have an idea how long they will last say cutting 10" of ice. Also I'll be running a 8" mora for the auger itself.
They will probably work, but take both with you fully charged.  Here in Nebraska you could probably get at least 20 holes.  Make sure your drill is brushless or you run the risk of burning it up.

Offline GrabLifeByTheGills

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #47 on: Jan 17, 2017, 05:22 PM »
Hardwater I did make sure it is brushless before purchasing it I figured with the ice we get here in Nebraska I'd be fine with both batteries. I will be testing it for the first time this weekend on bitter so we will se how it stands up to the 20+" they have up there.

Offline fishm_n

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #48 on: Jan 17, 2017, 08:15 PM »
With a "brushed" dewalt hammer drill, how bad do you think it will be to maybe punch 30 holes a year?

Offline Shack man Shoney

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #49 on: Jan 17, 2017, 08:33 PM »
The brushes burn up fairly quick.... maybe a couple seasons.

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #50 on: Jan 18, 2017, 01:24 AM »
With a "brushed" dewalt hammer drill, how bad do you think it will be to maybe punch 30 holes a year?
I was going to use my old Dewalt and risk it, the bigger risk was getting out there and having it burn up mid trip.  I am no expert as stated above, and have almost no brand loyalty, but I went with Dewalt because I have several of their tools and have never had an issue.  No other reason.  The only thing that everybody has been "crystal" clear on, is that the drill should be brushless, no matter what brand.  I watched quite a few videos of guys burning their drills up on You tube.  The one I had was not the contractor grade type and would have probably been ruined by now.  While it would have been no great loss, I have a hard time ruining a decent tool having been forewarned. The batteries and their Amp Hours needing to be 4 AH or better is only allowing you more drill time per battery.  Anybody feel free to correct me, but from what I understand and have experienced, the bigger batteries just allow for more holes.  It may take four 2 AH batteries to drill the same amount of holes my two 5 AH batteries allow.  I will tell you that I have drilled close to 50 holes with my new auger setup and while I frequently recharge my batteries at night, it has never bogged down or gotten stuck.  I was just out at a local lake in Omaha and two guys next to me kinda chuckled when my 6 y.o. carried the drill combo out to the ice, but after I pounded two holes in about 10 seconds, I heard them say to each other shockingly that it worked pretty well.  I personally wouldn't risk your brushless drill unless you commit to ruining it and are OK with that.  You may get through this season and have a really good reason to get a new one!!!   WIN WIN!

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.