The Ice Fishing MA is board

Author Topic: Early Season Ice Report  (Read 1047 times)

Offline bogtrotter

• Team IceShanty Maniac
Early Season Ice Report
« on: Nov 23, 2016, 02:21 PM »
I got out of work early this afternoon, so I took the opportunity to scout out the ice on Burnett's Pond in Savoy, which is one of the first bodies of water to ice up in the northern Berkshires.

(Just in case there was enough ice to fish, I brought along a bucket of tip ups, a jig and some nightcrawlers, in a spirit of hopeful optimism).

Although there is only an inch or two of snow in most of Adans and North Adams, there was the proverbial "6 to 8 inches in the higher elevations" up in Savoy, with some parts of the ground scoured  bare and others knee deep  in snow.

The Pond itself was totally iced over, and bare of snow.  There were foot-sized "islands" of slightly thicker white ice speckled along the shore, and an unbroken expanse of black ice in the middle of the pond.

Unfortunately, my ice report is "Not Quite Yet"- - I'd say the ice is about an inch to an inch and a half thick in most spots.

I was able to advance about10 feet or so from shore (where the water is about knee to thigh deep) in a few spots, using my chisel (or "spud") to check the ice as I went.  A single strike was all that it took to break through.  Plus the ice cracked ominously pretty much every other step that i took.

With luck (fingers crossed), this cold-snap may last through the weekend - - I heard a weather forecast predicting more snow - - - so there might, just might be enough ice to fish on by Saturday!

Offline CTAngler481

• IceShanty Rookie
Re: Early Season Ice Report
« Reply #1 on: Nov 26, 2016, 07:23 AM »
Excellent news thanks for the report

Offline bogtrotter

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #2 on: Nov 26, 2016, 11:02 AM »
Alas, I went back to Burnett's Pond this morning, and my followup report is "Not Yet."

There's about the same amount of ice as on Wednesday, and maybe just a scootch more - - an inch to two inches - - but still not enough to fish on.

To make matters worth, the forecast is predicting warmer weather (in the 50's) this week, so it looks like there won't be icefishing out here for awhile yet.

So close, yet so far away. :'(

Offline flyfish413

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #3 on: Nov 28, 2016, 10:13 AM »
Thank you for the reports, its always a pleasure reading them!

Offline ICEHOLE

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • INSTAGRAM: MATTACHUSETTS
« Reply #4 on: Nov 28, 2016, 02:47 PM »
I smile every morning I see a skim on the ponds. wont be long I hope! Bring on the cold and keep the snow!

Offline Flatland

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #5 on: Nov 28, 2016, 04:45 PM »
Thanks for the update. I dig your idiosyncratic reports, up to and including
the detailed descriptions of exotic sounding lunches. Am I correct in remembering that you
drank dandelion wine on the ice at some point??

Offline bogtrotter

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #6 on: Nov 29, 2016, 07:11 AM »
Yes, my wife and I make dandelion wine, and I've been known to bring some along for lunch on the ice.

Offline Jwise

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #7 on: Nov 29, 2016, 04:14 PM »
Does that go good with a Tofu bugers topped with Kale on Gluten free bread?

Offline lowaccord66

• Team IceshantyInsanity
« Reply #8 on: Nov 29, 2016, 04:24 PM »
Does that go good with a Tofu bugers topped with Kale on Gluten free bread?

"a tufu bugers"  Apparently you know what a tofu bugers are and taste like? 

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.