Author Topic: Trick to finding balance points in rods for tip downs?  (Read 7566 times)

Offline mistertwister

• Team IceShanty Addict
Hey guys, for those of you that have built tip-downs, or maybe use tip-downs, I'm wondering if there is a trick to finding and drilling a correct balance point for rods. I tried eye-balling it, and it was a total disaster. I'm using HT little jigger rods with plastic handles. Wasn't sure if there was an easy measurement or a better way other than using my fingers to pinch the rod and try to find it.. :tipup:

Online hardwater diehard

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceshantyInsanity
Re: Trick to finding balance points in rods for tip downs?
« Reply #1 on: Nov 22, 2016, 01:25 PM »
Raised Dowel ...

http://www.iceshanty.com/ice_fishing/index.php?topic=260539.0

post some pictures of how you made out
Give a man a fish he eats for a day .Teach a man to ice fish he has an obsession for a lifetime

Offline Idahogator

• Team IceShantyholic
  • Muckeltonian Society
« Reply #2 on: Nov 22, 2016, 02:18 PM »
Balance the fully rigged and ready to fish rod on a finger, carefully to find the approximate location.

Use solid aluminum wire near 1/8" diameter ~ it'll bend a bit for final perfect balance.     ;)2

Offline mistertwister

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #3 on: Nov 22, 2016, 02:35 PM »
Balance the fully rigged and ready to fish rod on a finger, carefully to find the approximate location.

Use solid aluminum wire near 1/8" diameter ~ it'll bend a bit for final perfect balance.     ;)2

that's the problem, I can't balance the rods because the reels are in the way. Maybe I'll have to do my eyeballing best, with a drill press for a guaranteed 90 degree angle

Offline mistertwister

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #4 on: Nov 22, 2016, 02:59 PM »
Idahogator, after re-reading your post (and checking what I had) after my comment, I had actually bought solid aluminum wire 1/8" for my balance rods. I can actually sneak it between the reel and rod itself, I have to rig up the reels and after quick initial testing I think I can get a more accurate spot on where to drill. I just hate trial and error....it's been this way the whole time I've been building these, my wife told me today that I should've just bought some (because I could've painted the kitchen cabinets ;D) instead of the DIY route, I said it's still cheaper and but the satisfaction when they work perfectly will be that much better..  :tipup: at this point it's about pride

Offline Idahogator

• Team IceShantyholic
  • Muckeltonian Society
« Reply #5 on: Nov 22, 2016, 03:11 PM »
Oh, good, you have the proper wire.    The rest is easy.

Drill a hole right through the handle so the reel will be flat on top.  Insert the wire and glue it in place.

I suspect you have the plans and photos for these rigs?

Edit: After thought, you do have schooly rods with flat plastic reels?

Like this?             

Offline mistertwister

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #6 on: Nov 22, 2016, 03:27 PM »
Oh, good, you have the proper wire.    The rest is easy.

Drill a hole right through the handle so the reel will be flat on top.  Insert the wire and glue it in place.

I suspect you have the plans and photos for these rigs?

Edit: After thought, you do have schooly rods with flat plastic reels?

Yes, I have the flat plastic schooly style, (not sure because it's HT Ice version but same idea) reels. No plans to begin with (a few pictures through the project, although I know all of the measurements etc.) through the process I was winging it as I went along, part of the reason that it has been taking me so long..Took some ideas from different designs and made my own version

rods are actually these https://www.amazon.com/ht-ent-little-jigger-rig/dp/b0000bvgff (although an older version I bought from an estate sale, only one eyelet on the tip which I had to replace 2 out of the 3 because they were rusted)

Offline Idahogator

• Team IceShantyholic
  • Muckeltonian Society
« Reply #7 on: Nov 22, 2016, 03:32 PM »
Well, as you progress, stay in contact, here, for any questions/help.     ;)2

The set I built have only a tip-eyelet.   They never miss.

Offline bigal409

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #8 on: Nov 29, 2016, 11:53 AM »
I've found that it varies from time to time on the location needed to get a proper balance. Most likely being fishing at different depths and how much line is out. As well as what bait is being used. That is why I have my tipdowns so that I can adjust the location of the balance. Easiest way is I use a #16 or #20 nail and cut off the head. I then use an o-ring to attatch the nail to the pole and then I can move the nail up or down the pole to get the proper balance.  ;D ;D

Offline Idahogator

• Team IceShantyholic
  • Muckeltonian Society
« Reply #9 on: Nov 29, 2016, 02:51 PM »
I've found that it varies from time to time on the location needed to get a proper balance. Most likely being fishing at different depths and how much line is out. As well as what bait is being used. That is why I have my tipdowns so that I can adjust the location of the balance. Easiest way is I use a #16 or #20 nail and cut off the head. I then use an o-ring to attatch the nail to the pole and then I can move the nail up or down the pole to get the proper balance.  ;D ;D

BigAl, I guess that's no concern for added weight ~ one nail is negligible.

With the aluminum rod about five inches long to overlap the uprights as the pivot and glued into the rod handle, by just bending that rod forward or backward helps with major weight additions.

Fine tuning is accomplished by leaning the upright in those same directions.       ;)2

All this in reference to the wood base/upright support and schooley rod setup.     :o

Good luck.
                         :icefish:

Tom

Offline Doitnow

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #10 on: Nov 29, 2016, 10:29 PM »
Add weights to the butt of your rod then balance it for the pin, if it's off just add or remove some weight. Also if you change bait size you can adjust the balance.

Offline Idahogator

• Team IceShantyholic
  • Muckeltonian Society
« Reply #11 on: Nov 29, 2016, 11:19 PM »

Add weights to the butt of your rod then balance it for the pin, if it's off just add or remove some weight. Also if you change bait size you can adjust the balance.

I'm just a simple man ~ I have spoken.      :-X

Offline mistertwister

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #12 on: Nov 30, 2016, 07:40 AM »
We'll I re-drilled my balance rod holes yesterday and epoxied them....should be able to test today! I was trying to think of a way to add adjustable  weight to the rod so that I can quickly fine tune it on the ice..hmmmmm :tipup:

Offline justborn

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #13 on: Nov 30, 2016, 07:53 AM »
I use castration bands.  Apply as many as needed!  They adjust easily up and down the handle for fine tuning are work great for hook keeps.

Offline mistertwister

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #14 on: Nov 30, 2016, 09:52 AM »
I use castration bands.  Apply as many as needed!  They adjust easily up and down the handle for fine tuning are work great for hook keeps.

Those provide enough weight? 

Offline mistertwister

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #15 on: Nov 30, 2016, 02:56 PM »
Ok for those of you that have commented I appreciate the insight and help! Here is where I'm at....I re-drilled for my balance bar planning on keeping the reel on top (using schooley style rod and plastic reel)...after getting everything done and back together, weighted as if I was going to use it minus the minnow..The rod will sit straight up and down...however after getting the rod to a little past parallel (to the "ice") the rod tip will stay down. If I flip the rod around so that the reel sits facing the "ice" the rod weighted to fish will sit at about a 45 degree angle. If I was to get a hit and the fish let go the rod would reset to the 45 degree angle. It seems that it's sensitive enough that I could probably see my minnow kicking underwater.....here is my question...should I be able to pull the line mimicking a hit and the rod stays in place after I let go? I know in water it will be different than messing with it in my house (water is much denser than air obviously)...I will say that my original design was for the sitting down because I didn't think it really mattered.  ???

Offline Idahogator

• Team IceShantyholic
  • Muckeltonian Society
« Reply #16 on: Nov 30, 2016, 03:50 PM »
Ok for those of you that have commented I appreciate the insight and help! Here is where I'm at....I re-drilled for my balance bar planning on keeping the reel on top (using schooley style rod and plastic reel)...after getting everything done and back together, weighted as if I was going to use it minus the minnow..The rod will sit straight up and down...however after getting the rod to a little past parallel (to the "ice") the rod tip will stay down. If I flip the rod around so that the reel sits facing the "ice" the rod weighted to fish will sit at about a 45 degree angle. If I was to get a hit and the fish let go the rod would reset to the 45 degree angle. It seems that it's sensitive enough that I could probably see my minnow kicking underwater.....here is my question...should I be able to pull the line mimicking a hit and the rod stays in place after I let go? I know in water it will be different than messing with it in my house (water is much denser than air obviously)...I will say that my original design was for the sitting down because I didn't think it really mattered.  ???
To avoid more verbosity ~ It's time to post a photo or 3 of just what the H377 you've got going there mister.    :bow: ;)2

We'll even help with photo posting.

Tom

Offline mistertwister

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #17 on: Nov 30, 2016, 04:13 PM »

Side view and view from the back, you can see that with a split shot that is where the rod balances right now

Offline Idahogator

• Team IceShantyholic
  • Muckeltonian Society
« Reply #18 on: Nov 30, 2016, 04:42 PM »
Ah ha.  I see.      The strap/brace needs to come up so as to contact the rod handle.

Other folks used wood or Masonite but your metal strap will work just fine. 

You could just add another.   Find the location by checking the photo below.     ;)2

Offline mistertwister

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #19 on: Nov 30, 2016, 04:54 PM »
Ok, I can add another....If the rig gets a hit, do you want the rod tip to stay down? As is it would re-set to its original position. If I flip the rod over it would probably re-set to a certain point but after its parallel with the ice it would probably stay down and not re-set

Offline Idahogator

• Team IceShantyholic
  • Muckeltonian Society
« Reply #20 on: Nov 30, 2016, 05:49 PM »
Yup. Maybe they should be called "Stay-downs", cause that's what they do when a fish just smells the offering.    ;)2

When you add that brace, aim for the rod to be at a 45* angle (up/set position) with the brace in contact with the underside of the rod.

Good luck man, you're almost there.     :thumbsup: :clap: :flex: :roflmao:

Offline NYBW1

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #21 on: Jan 13, 2019, 09:21 AM »
I run a tight line from lowest eye to butt of handle. Then place a large split shot, loose enough to slide along line. That way, you can fine tune balance for weather, bait weight and sensitivity.

Offline Doubles Shooter

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #22 on: Jan 14, 2019, 06:02 AM »
I don't have a picture handy, but all i did was wrap a couple wraps of solder on the handle of the rod. Then all you have to do is slide it up and down the handle to get the balance point you want.

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.