The ice fishing PA boards are sponsored by:

Author Topic: Should we start Countin Em Down to the 2016/17 Season?  (Read 3159 times)

Offline J Miser

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Anchorage Alaska - Can't get home fast enuf!!!
Anybody been outside?

Yeah its freezin.  It was freezin all day yesterday. It'll be freezin all day tomorrow. Protected ponds will skim over.

Then hell will decide to warm back up.

Shall we review the start dates of our ice season in PA over the past couple years:

11/27/05
12/9/06
12/3/07
11/22/08
12/11/09
12/8/10
11/30/12
11/28/13
11/20/14
1/5/16

Gonna be a realist, no safe ice this week, but we are there, children, we are right on that cusp of what is needed to start building ice.

40 degree days, 20 degree nights will start the process

Look at all those November start dates.  Pretty darn common if you ask me when ice fishing starts in PA.

The pessimist says Christmas, I've always said Thanksgiving.  Maybe not this year, but we still got nine more days in November and I don't see anymore 50's in the forecast.

No prediction from me, but after this ridiculous holiday, my stuff will be in my car anticipating that first 2.5 inches of ice.

Skihunter, where you at?  You gonna beat everyone in New Jersey onto the ice? Milwaukee and Erie this year buddy, Milwaukee and Erie.

Have fun children, I promise, once I see it, the pessimists will let you know that it doesn't exist, and the optimists will share in the glory. HA, ain't that a statement.

Dr. JM
My private lakes: Laurel, Gruber, Emerald complex (Mountaintop, E Emerald, W Emerald, Pine Tree, Deer, Lower Deer, Halfmoon, Hunter, Little Mountaintop), Leisure Lk, Leisure Pd, Monroe, Tego, Little Tego, Upper Spring, Pocono Summit, Blue Mountain.  I want Naomi, Paupacken, and Hallowood and I'll chase the dream called Pocono Lake

Offline Crappiehunter1981

• Team IceShanty Addict
Re: Should we start Countin Em Down to the 2016/17 Season?
« Reply #1 on: Nov 21, 2016, 12:07 PM »
So either way I'm a winner this year.  I have been out of the states for almost two years.  I was home for a couple of weeks last April and I bought a Mag 2000 auger.  This means that we wont have any ice this year... So I had to even the playing field and I bought a new kayak.  Either way I am set upon my return around Xmas...  I bet I am using the Auger by the new year..... Fingers crossed..... 

Offline Chris338378

• Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #2 on: Nov 21, 2016, 12:33 PM »
I'm going to guess December 10th.

Offline Van_Cleaver

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #3 on: Nov 21, 2016, 03:58 PM »
Anytime early- mid Dec. would be fine with me. Slowly relining my reels and replacing augers blades as needed. Has to be better than last year!

Offline capt.crappie

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #4 on: Nov 21, 2016, 06:22 PM »
Anytime early- mid Dec. would be fine with me. Slowly relining my reels and replacing augers blades as needed. Has to be better than last year!
Although last year was a very short season. About 5 weeks of ice in our area. Van. I managed to get out almost every day. I slayed alot of perch & gills too. Actually got tired of eating fish  ::). Im hoping we have safe ice before X mas  :tipup:

Offline Chris338378

• Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #5 on: Nov 21, 2016, 06:37 PM »
Tired of fishing?  :o  Oh my God you need an intervention.   ;D

Offline flyboyroy

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #6 on: Nov 21, 2016, 07:49 PM »
You always get a few that go out on a couple inches of ice with life vests and pics.and long pieces of rope.
  Maybe December for that crew. 
Probably early january for the rest of us, like usual.  I remember a few years when we got out before Christmas in central pa, but not many.

Not to worry. We have deer to chase, then the holidays, then plenty of time to drill holes !

Offline Van_Cleaver

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #7 on: Nov 21, 2016, 08:33 PM »
 Chris; actually c.c said he was tired of eating fish; not tired of fishing. Maybe if he put a few more back...... ;)  I barely got out at all do to painting and prepping the home I bought in the fall. There are still lots of projects but they aren't quite as pressing. If I can't get out more than last year I'm in serious trouble!

Offline J Miser

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #8 on: Nov 22, 2016, 08:23 AM »
You always get a few that go out on a couple inches of ice with life vests and pics.and long pieces of rope.
  Maybe December for that crew. 
Probably early january for the rest of us, like usual.  I remember a few years when we got out before Christmas in central pa, but not many.

The Last time I wore a life vest and had a rope on the ice was October 13, 1998 University Lake, Anchorage Alaska.  Even had the Fire Department watching me  ;D.

Caught a 10 pound coho salmon through the ice that day and lost a rod to another one.

Never owned pics.

Can only imagine if my ponds were skimmed over this morning on the Pocono Plateau.  Where's MarkD with his pics from Pocono Summit?

Dr. JM

My private lakes: Laurel, Gruber, Emerald complex (Mountaintop, E Emerald, W Emerald, Pine Tree, Deer, Lower Deer, Halfmoon, Hunter, Little Mountaintop), Leisure Lk, Leisure Pd, Monroe, Tego, Little Tego, Upper Spring, Pocono Summit, Blue Mountain.  I want Naomi, Paupacken, and Hallowood and I'll chase the dream called Pocono Lake

Offline Van_Cleaver

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #9 on: Nov 22, 2016, 09:15 AM »
He's probably out beating up on jumbo perch and gills. ;)

Offline Chris338378

• Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #10 on: Nov 22, 2016, 09:39 AM »
Sorry about my typo but what I said still stands, that man needs an intervention.  LOL  I never get tired of fishing or eating fish.

Offline 1MOFISH

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • The ice is always safe are you in ???????????????
« Reply #11 on: Nov 23, 2016, 07:13 PM »
countdown has commenced 10-9-8-7-6-------- ponds skimming over, it wont be long
GOD BLESS
mo
LOVE THE LORD YOUR GOD WITH ALL YOUR HEART AND SOUL AND STRENGTH and'LOVE THY NEiGHBOR AS THYSELF'   GOD

Offline Chris338378

• Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #12 on: Nov 23, 2016, 08:33 PM »
I saw three ponds skimmed over almost completely today.  It's coming boys and girls.   :tipup:

Offline ducksnbucks36

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #13 on: Nov 25, 2016, 04:52 PM »
I'm predicting safe ice December 15th. If it's not by then it won't be till the 28th or the beginning of january.

Offline JPascavage52

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #14 on: Nov 28, 2016, 08:02 AM »
I can confirm that there was some skim ice on a little pond up the road from me this morning. Saw it for myself.

Probably still got a ways to go with the warm up coming this week, but still an encouraging sign. Here's to hoping for an early start to the season, after falling through on Erie last year, I'm happy to wait for confirmed safe ice this year.
Pro staff for:

Liquid Mayhem
Titan Tungsten
Lunker City
Toad Thumper Lures

Youtube channel:
www.youtube.com/johnpascavagefishing/videos

Offline flyboyroy

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #15 on: Nov 28, 2016, 05:27 PM »
The Last time I wore a life vest and had a rope on the ice was October 13, 1998 University Lake, Anchorage Alaska.  Even had the Fire Department watching me  ;D.

Caught a 10 pound coho salmon through the ice that day and lost a rod to another one.

Never owned pics.

Can only imagine if my ponds were skimmed over this morning on the Pocono Plateau.  Where's MarkD with his pics from Pocono Summit?

One of the guy I fish with lives in Juniata County.  One day last week it got down to 16 in a cold spot and a couple of ponds were skimmed over in the am, open  in the pm.   Maybe  you could get up real early a be the first one on the ice for the year and then fish the same spot from your boat later in the day 😀

Offline chuck22

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #16 on: Nov 30, 2016, 11:07 AM »
I keep counting down and throwing out my list with each of these warm fronts that come through I'm in southeast pa so I won't be on any hardwater down here for a long time but I have no problem driving to get some fishing in I keep looking at the  weather up my usual haaunts and they still are 50 degrees during the day the wait is killing me

Offline Van_Cleaver

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #17 on: Nov 30, 2016, 01:23 PM »
On the plus side today is likely the last of the really warm weather, and let's face it, the whole East coast needs the rain big time. Anything before Christmas would look good to me; especially after last year.

Offline deer george

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #18 on: Nov 30, 2016, 03:42 PM »
OK time to start thinking of walking on water, This is my first time this year to visit the site but my best guess to get on top of the pond is the last few days of Dec. I'll be wishing it will get here sooner but I think that is just wishful thinking at least in central Pa.

Offline flyboyroy

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #19 on: Dec 02, 2016, 07:23 PM »
Good to see you on the site George.   Who knows when we will get to walk on water, but every day is one day closer !

Offline flyboyroy

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #20 on: Dec 04, 2016, 03:10 PM »
I saw some of the Houston/Green Bay game.  It sure  looks like winter in Wisconsin !

Offline slider

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Hardwater Nut!
« Reply #21 on: Dec 04, 2016, 03:49 PM »
Weather here in Pittsburgh looks horrible
Artic front heading for us  this is just absolutely horrible
(IF YOU DON'T ICE FISH)
 :clap: :clap: :clap: :roflmao: :roflmao: :roflmao: :roflmao: :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :tipup:

Offline iceman4667

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #22 on: Dec 04, 2016, 05:05 PM »
Lol  let it come  ,we did not ice fish at all last year

Offline Rangerphil

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #23 on: Dec 05, 2016, 02:18 AM »
Can't wait. I just ordered my striker ice predator suit today! Excited about it coming in. Hope the cold sticks around!

Offline chez

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #24 on: Dec 05, 2016, 06:53 AM »
IM THINKING DEC 18TH....OR HOPING.LOL.

Offline Spider1

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #25 on: Dec 05, 2016, 09:01 AM »
Yeah, I'm thinking many of us will be carefully stepping out onto the ice and drillin holes that weekend! Maybe a little sooner too ;)

Offline J Miser

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #26 on: Dec 05, 2016, 06:20 PM »
So who's going out Monday?

Not December 18, not Christmas, but next Monday.

One of you scrawny 150 pound wetpatch's may be able to walk on water come Sunday, but a fat fu(k like me will have to wait till Monday.

The protected ponds should cap Thursday night, sustain Friday, then grow all day Saturday and all day sunday, yeah, they'll be safe ice Monday Morning.

That'll scratch the itch.  Then it can all melt and you all can have a snowthrower contest.

Time to straighten out the Wolframs and kill a bunch of bass.

Then again, they're stocking Tobyharlem Tomorrow, those fish will be protected, as much as I hate it, it'll be an option.

But we'll see.

Dr. JM

Offline Chris338378

• Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #27 on: Dec 05, 2016, 08:27 PM »
I think Chez is going to have the winning guess. 

Offline Van_Cleaver

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #28 on: Dec 05, 2016, 10:03 PM »
I'm all for the glass is half full approach; but typically when we get an Arctic Clipper we also get a lot of wind which can easily add a couple or even a few days to the initial cap. As JM stated there will be a couple super protected and usually small ponds that will freeze earlier. Living in the Southeast I'll be waiting for the 4" call. Be safe everyone it's coming!

Offline Spider1

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #29 on: Dec 06, 2016, 05:32 AM »
yeeeah... I'm thinking monday might be a little too early. Take yer waders.

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.