Author Topic: LX-7 Case Mods  (Read 4353 times)

Offline banders731

• IceShanty Rookie
LX-7 Case Mods
« on: Nov 21, 2016, 09:58 AM »
I love my LX-7 but just like a lot of people I hate the case it comes with (not the soft pack) just the hard plastic case.  So unbalanced, i feel like its gonna fall outta my hands every time i pick it up.  Have people put the LX-7 head unit on other hard plastic cases? Like the Ultra-Pack or Genz-Pack or something else?  I still like the idea of having the soft case to protect everything but the hard case just aint doin it for me.

Thanks in advance

-b-

Offline 3300

• Team IceShantyholic
  • Michigan Moderator.Not affiliated with MarCum Tech
Re: LX-7 Case Mods
« Reply #1 on: Nov 21, 2016, 10:33 AM »
a redesign would be nice for the lx7.
the mount is too short to have the transducer standing up with out binding the cable under the head unit. it should be taller and a simple fix. for now i just lay mine on it's side.
the mount should be brought forward and the tray under the head unit brought back after the mount is raised to help balance it. after it is all balanced, then they have to redesign the soft shell case.
the problem your having is they made the lx7 shuttle for the lx9 that has the added weight from the camera pack on the back side to balance it.
when you don't want the weight of the added camera bag on the lx9, a redesigned lx7 shuttle and soft shell case would be a nice option. and then there are those who have gone lithium that would need a redesigned case also.

many of us just use the slot in the rear of the soft shell case and grasp the shuttles handle and then it is balanced.
an easy do it at home fix would be to sew in your own carry strap so it is more forward.

last season they did make a shuttle change for the lx6 and that was to use the smaller lx5 shuttle and call the redesign the lx6s. S for shuttle change to differentiate between the two models although nothing else was changed. they said the shuttle it used to use was for the lx7/9 and was too big. so for those of you who don't like the lx6 before the change should be able to pick up the lx5 shuttle.

Offline tjacob

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #2 on: Nov 21, 2016, 10:40 AM »
I mounted my LX 6 on a Vex pro-pack carrier and it works great. It won't fit back in the Marcum case, but it will fit a five gallon bucket. I'm sure the Vex soft case will fit it, but haven't tried it.

Offline justborn

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #3 on: Nov 21, 2016, 10:55 AM »
I ram mounted my Lx7 to a vex propack.  I cut off the gimbal arms and screwed a ram ball to the base.  The Lx7 was still  unwieldy.  I finally picked up a lx6s and sold the lx7 and feel that's the best solution to the awkward design.

Offline Duncan77

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #4 on: Nov 21, 2016, 04:41 PM »
Last year I put my LX-7 on my genz box,  unfortunately it's still unbalanced. That's one thing I love about vexilar. You have a chance to customize your unit ,3 different carrying cases and any transducer.
Don't try to change me, my wife said that's her job.

Offline pikeaddict

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #5 on: Nov 21, 2016, 04:43 PM »
Attach a soft pack of your choice to the back of the LX7 soft pack using the female buckles on it as attachment points.  That's what I did and it balanced it out pretty well.  Keep my jig boxes, pliers, bait pucks etc. in it and it works great.  Some styles of soft sided lunch boxes would work well I would think.  The bag I used came part of a scent blocker shower kit I got as a gift a few years ago.

Offline DR.SPECKLER

• Team IceShantyholic
  • find your own fish..
« Reply #6 on: Nov 21, 2016, 05:24 PM »
ill add my worthless 2 cents for the price of that thing you would think it would have a nice balanced carry case and not need a vex case for it.hahaha.jk.im not bashing I'm just having a little Marcum/vexilar war fun.

Offline rickwalley

• IceShanty Rookie
Re: LX-7/9 Case Mods
« Reply #7 on: Nov 30, 2016, 08:23 AM »
Hey Guys..........
For those of you that have done your version of mods to these soft cases to prevent the unit from falling out the front, would you be able to post a couple pics showing how you did it.  I'm sure not all of you have done it quite the same, so there are probably a couple versions that would work.  Mostly what I've heard over the years has been adding in Velcro straps to the case that reach back to the hard plastic carrier somehow. If there is some sewing involved, I only want to give it one try and done.

Thanks.

Offline Flint

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #8 on: Nov 30, 2016, 08:52 AM »
I done a complete remake to the original shuttle adding a ridged handle and master power switch. Pic's are on another web site if you are interested. Life's too short to try and post them here. 

Offline Duncan77

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #9 on: Nov 30, 2016, 08:43 PM »
I done a complete remake to the original shuttle adding a ridged handle and master power switch. Pic's are on another web site if you are interested. Life's too short to try and post them here.
I'm very interested in seeing the mods to your LX-7, can you send me the web site info?

Offline 3300

• Team IceShantyholic
  • Michigan Moderator.Not affiliated with MarCum Tech

Offline Flint

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #11 on: Dec 02, 2016, 06:44 PM »
It's where 3300 said except the thread is Marcum lx7 questions. I've used it two times out this year and like it without the case in the way. I also like the new software 5.1

Offline Duncan77

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #12 on: Dec 02, 2016, 08:06 PM »
It's where 3300 said except the thread is Marcum lx7 questions. I've used it two times out this year and like it without the case in the way. I also like the new software 5.1

Thank you.

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.