The Iceshanty Ice Auger Board is sponsored by
Nils Master Authorized Sharpening Service

Author Topic: Hand Auger Suggestions??  (Read 7611 times)

Offline ice-pro

• IceShanty Rookie
Hand Auger Suggestions??
« on: Nov 20, 2016, 03:39 PM »
Ive been looking at hand augers since i dont share a gas auger with my dad anymore and I cant seem to decide on one. Ive been leaning towards the Bass Pro Shops hand auger since the reviews are for the most part better than the Strike Master Mora and was wondering if anyone had one or had used one. Im also open to suggestions on different ones. Thanks

Offline fishbone

• Team IceShanty Regular
Re: Hand Auger Suggestions??
« Reply #1 on: Nov 20, 2016, 03:52 PM »
8 inch finbore 3--------its bulletproof

Offline chilly-willy

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #2 on: Nov 20, 2016, 04:13 PM »
Nils 8 or 6 inch augers pair with a cord less drill later on or hand Crank them very effertlessly.. see what black friday brings that finbore 3 in 8 inch is more a laser 8 inch bit with offset handle I hear cause it has the ice breaking bars /head supports they jam up on the hole when finishing .now the 6 inch would be the best to go with in a finbore 3 if going that route the blades are cheaper then nils to buy and sharpen them .. just a heads up you hit any kind of dirty ice with a nils you will be sending it in to be sharpened. . There is a down fall to all but the 6 inch finbore  don't get that statemenet wrong nils is a grat auger and do last very long times. I think I am on the 3 years going on 4 year on my # 2 nils 8 inch auger blade still have a spare third one..always good to have back ups..  if I was to buy a new auger I would get nils or finbore 6 inch their that good if I was to get a 8 inch I go for the nils there very easy to turn and a little costly to own you will get over it sooner or later lols..

Offline bart

• Team IceShantyholic
  • I love you, Deb
« Reply #3 on: Nov 20, 2016, 04:40 PM »
Buy a Nils, you'll have no regrets!
"Many fish their entire lives without knowing that it is not fish they are after."-Henry David Thoreau
  Keep America Godly...

Offline Dave R

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #4 on: Nov 20, 2016, 05:25 PM »
For years I used an 8" Mora, which I still have. But the older I got the more difficult it became for me to drill through thicker ice. Looking back, I probably should have bought a 6". If I had, I probably would still be using it. Several years ago I bought a Strike Master Lazer 5" and love it. It cuts through the ice like butter!

Offline Ice Scratcher

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #5 on: Nov 20, 2016, 05:48 PM »
When buying an auger, one must consider the cost of replacement blades, and or sharpening..

Mora blades are the most common, the most affordable, and easiest to sharpen..

<°)))>{

Offline Agronomist_at_IA

• Team IceShantyholic
  • Team Iowa!
« Reply #6 on: Nov 20, 2016, 06:09 PM »
Ive been looking at hand augers since i dont share a gas auger with my dad anymore and I cant seem to decide on one. Ive been leaning towards the Bass Pro Shops hand auger since the reviews are for the most part better than the Strike Master Mora and was wondering if anyone had one or had used one. Im also open to suggestions on different ones. Thanks

Here is my $0.02 worth.

I have had and own a Nils 8in., HT 8in shaver, Eskimo 7in. shaver-converted into a lazer 7in, & a  Strikemaster 6in lazer. I also own a Jiffy Model 30  3hp 8in power auger.

Now, if you cut through the crap, the name brands really don't mean much. There is two basic standard types of hand augers and the different companies just paint them different colors. You either get a (shaver) flat blade or a curved blade auger. (lazer) then you have the nils which is different, and the fine bore 3 which is a lazer with an offset handle.

Personally, a nils is only worth it if you are going to hand cut all your holes and you need the off set handle for cutting. The cutting heads are expensive if you want a spare $99. Which you will usually need one if you have to send your cutting head to frank d to get fixed or sharpened. You have to send a cutting head to Fank Duluca to get sharpened which is $40. Also if the cutting head gets bent it won't cut, fank can fix them.

The nils is a great auger for cutting holes and the best for cutting holes by hand with the off set handles. However it is an expensive auger to buy and maintain. Nothing is cheap with nils, and just common service like having a cutting head sharpened can cost more then a new 8in mora hand auger. Overall, I love the nils for performance, but it cost way to much for what you get. It is one of the best built hand augers for durability, unless the cutting head gets bent.

The curve blade hand augers like a lazer are an inbetween. The fin bore 3 is a lazer with the offset handles like a nils offers. Biggest issue is cost of blades & the auger catches when breaking through the bottom of the ice. It is annoying. About breaks your wrist.

If I had it to do all over, I would buy the common 8in shaver style hand auger from whatever company at a reasonable price , and I would run a clam plate and drill on it.

The shaver style augers are solid, don't catch when breaking threw the bottom, and the blades are cheap to replace or sharpen. They by far are the easiest ad least amount of cost to maintain and run.

Offline stripernut

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Tight Lines!
« Reply #7 on: Nov 20, 2016, 08:33 PM »
As I have said before;
 I have cut a Nils and a Fin-Bore side by side and the Fin-Bore cuts just as easy/fast, but the Fin-Bore is less expensive to buy,  less expensive to maintain and arguably less delicate... It is cheaper to get blades, to sharpen the blades and easy to carry spares.

Offline Agronomist_at_IA

• Team IceShantyholic
  • Team Iowa!
« Reply #8 on: Nov 20, 2016, 09:17 PM »
As I have said before;
 I have cut a Nils and a Fin-Bore side by side and the Fin-Bore cuts just as easy/fast, but the Fin-Bore is less expensive to buy,  less expensive to maintain and arguably less delicate... It is cheaper to get blades, to sharpen the blades and easy to carry spares.

Now, I have to ask. I have heard that the fine bore 3 augers are basically a lazer auger. The difference is the handle it comes with is offset. Which is why people want them. I have heard that the lazer blades and fin bore 3 blades can be exchanged. Is this true? I've never seen a fin bore 3 but looking at them it seems to be so....

Offline Reel trouble

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #9 on: Nov 20, 2016, 09:43 PM »
As I have said before;
I agree the nils feels a tad smoother but for the cost ease or carrying spare blades and the cost of those spare blades the finbore III or lazer, Barracuda with the offset handle is the way to go. I had  two nils augers and have let them go because they wernt any better.

yes the Lazer Barracuda and Finbore III use the same blades. One thing to watch is with replacement blades dont get the ones made in china they dont hold an edge long

Offline Agronomist_at_IA

• Team IceShantyholic
  • Team Iowa!
« Reply #10 on: Nov 20, 2016, 10:25 PM »
I agree the nils feels a tad smoother but for the cost ease or carrying spare blades and the cost of those spare blades the finbore III or lazer, Barracuda with the offset handle is the way to go. I had  two nils augers and have let them go because they wernt any better.

yes the Lazer Barracuda and Finbore III use the same blades. One thing to watch is with replacement blades dont get the ones made in china they dont hold an edge long

Yeah I had an Eskimo that had the Chinese blades and put a set of mora blades from Sweden on when the Chinese blades got dull. The Mora steel blades from Sweden are impressive on how long they stay sharp vs the Chinese blades. I'd say the Sweden steel stayed sharp about twice as long.

Thanks for the clarification also. I thought the fin bore, lazer, and  barracuda all were the same besides the fine bore having the offset handle that everyone wishes strikemaster would do.

I do like my nils, but at $125 for the auger, $75 for a flight extension, $50 for a used 8in power point cutting head, $30 for a clam plate adaptor. I've got $280 into it.......And I never use it by hand since I do the clam plate..........

Offline Reel trouble

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #11 on: Nov 20, 2016, 11:27 PM »
Yeah I had an Eskimo that had the Chinese blades and put a set of mora blades from Sweden on when the Chinese blades got dull. The Mora steel blades from Sweden are impressive on how long they stay sharp vs the Chinese blades. I'd say the Sweden steel stayed sharp about twice as long.

Thanks for the clarification also. I thought the fin bore, lazer, and  barracuda all were the same besides the fine bore having the offset handle that everyone wishes strikemaster would do.

I do like my nils, but at $125 for the auger, $75 for a flight extension, $50 for a used 8in power point cutting head, $30 for a clam plate adaptor. I've got $280 into it.......And I never use it by hand since I do the clam plate..........

The clam plate i hear great things about :) Yup the Sweden blades are the way to go, Stikemaster use to have the offset handle but dont now. I used a Nils handle in my barracuda because i couldn't find a finbore at the time but it works real good night and day difference.   

Offline Bates

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #12 on: Nov 21, 2016, 06:01 AM »
I won't write a book on them. I wouldn't buy any hand auger over 6". I would buy the Strikemaster Lazer 5", I have a 6" and wish it was a 4" or 5".

Offline filetandrelease

• Team IceshantyInsanity
« Reply #13 on: Nov 21, 2016, 07:13 AM »

Ice pro what will you be fishing for ?  if your drilling many holes off set handles are much easier ,
, Eskimo , HT and nils have off set , as already stated nils aren't cheap and extra blades or cutting heads are a must  just incase something happens , at my age cranking an 8" 😅
   Just for a little info on price , i and my buds just sent in 4 six inch nils heads with shipping both ways it came to
26& change a piece , to small engine repair ,

Offline spoofhoundicefisher

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #14 on: Nov 24, 2016, 09:37 AM »
can somebody post some pics of the difference of offset handles versus the strikemaster handles that are not offset on the hand augers.  thanks

Offline Ice Scratcher

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #15 on: Nov 24, 2016, 09:45 AM »
If you google "strikmaster offset handle" it will show them..

They still make them, just can't buy them in the States...

<°)))>{

Offline Agronomist_at_IA

• Team IceShantyholic
  • Team Iowa!
« Reply #16 on: Nov 24, 2016, 10:03 AM »

Nils offset handle.    Strikemaster standard handle

Finbore 3 offset handle

Nils offset handle used on an Eskimo hand auger with an adaptor

Curved lazer blades, shaver blades, and a chipper style blade.

Nils cutting head. (It's similar to the curved lazer blades but all mounted into a cutting head.

Offline spoofhoundicefisher

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #17 on: Nov 24, 2016, 11:22 AM »
got it thanks argro.  that answers some of my questions.  i think i have seen a few of the offset handle augers setting in a buddies garage who does not fish anymore.  might try and talk him out of them.

Offline Dave R

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #18 on: Nov 25, 2016, 08:59 AM »
I won't write a book on them. I wouldn't buy any hand auger over 6". I would buy the Strikemaster Lazer 5", I have a 6" and wish it was a 4" or 5".

That's the lesson I learned with the Mora 8". And why I replaced it with a 5" Lazer.

Offline bearnoob

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #19 on: Nov 25, 2016, 09:48 AM »
I have had a mora for the past 3-4 years that has been great. I think it is a 6". It has never been sharpened.

I will have to sharpen it soon as it was starting to cut a bit rough at the end of last season, but I am comfortable sharpening it myself and, if i screw it up, I am not going to break the bank buying new blades. I habitually fish through 13"+ of ice and I have never worried that my little mora wont make it through.

I looked at the more expensive offset handle options but ultimately cost won out and I have never wished I spent more.
Hardwater fisherman since 2014. All opinions subject to change as experience increases.

Offline ice-pro

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #20 on: Nov 26, 2016, 09:19 PM »
So a quick update on what I decided. I picked up a Strikemaster Lazer 6" at Bass Pro. Now is it worth getting the clam plate or should i stick to just the auger?

Offline Dave R

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #21 on: Nov 26, 2016, 09:37 PM »
Good choice! Only you can make that decision, but you already know that. I think a lot has to do with, do you already have a drill that will work, or will you need to buy one?

Offline ice-pro

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #22 on: Nov 26, 2016, 09:38 PM »
Good choice! Only you can make that decision, but you already know that. I think a lot has to do with, do you already have a drill that will work, or will you need to buy one?

Well at first i was trying to decide whether to buy a hand auger with the clam plate instead of buying a power auger. But no i dont have a drill so i would need to buy one which makes it almost worth saving the money and waiting to buy a power auger instead.

Offline NYSporty

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Jigem up boys
« Reply #23 on: Nov 26, 2016, 10:36 PM »
Well at first i was trying to decide whether to buy a hand auger with the clam plate instead of buying a power auger. But no i dont have a drill so i would need to buy one which makes it almost worth saving the money and waiting to buy a power auger instead.

You don't need a clam plate just save up and get a good drill
let the drill debate begin  >:D
"Problem solving is hunting. It is savage pleasure and we are born to do it."
Thomas Harris

Offline Reel trouble

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #24 on: Nov 26, 2016, 10:58 PM »
How many holes do you drill ? before i got my power auger i drilled 20 to 30 per day it was doable through a foot of ice but if your doing it through thicker maybe look at other options like the plate or a drill :)

Offline IM-POUNDING- R -U

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #25 on: Nov 26, 2016, 11:39 PM »
6"Finebore 3offset handle. You can drill all day effortless.
10% of the fisherman catch 90% of the fish .....im a 10% are you?

Offline Dave R

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #26 on: Nov 27, 2016, 01:44 PM »

I have a Strikemaster electric  auger that wasn't working when it was given to me. It cost me around $40 to fix it, including battery. Had I not acquired it the way I did, I most likely not have purchased one. For the most part, my 5" hand auger is what I use 90% of the time. The electric auger does come in handy on ice that is 12" and thicker. It's main drawback is that it is heavy.

Offline Bates

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #27 on: Dec 03, 2016, 05:35 AM »
Mills Fleet Farm has Strikemaster Lazer hand augers on sale for $75 this week, the 5" and 6" models.

Offline squ1rr31_

• IceShanty Mod Team
  • Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Addicted to freezing.
« Reply #28 on: Dec 03, 2016, 07:22 AM »
I just wish Strikemaster would sell the offsets again, they're always trying to make more money, I don't understand why they don't jump on the chance.

Offline Bout-Time

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #29 on: Dec 03, 2016, 07:45 AM »
6"Finebore 3offset handle. You can drill all day effortless.

Yessah, I LOVE mine.

"Many fish their entire lives without knowing that it is not fish they are after."-Henry David Thoreau

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.