Author Topic: I've got $400 to spend on a new flasher/sonar--- What does everyone like?  (Read 2439 times)

Offline LureNFlyGuy

• IceShanty Rookie
Was wondering what everyone likes or uses. I'm considering the Lowrance Hook-5 Ice Machine. I like the pre loaded Navionics maps and the ability to create your own maps, along with waypoints and trips, on either. They've got a $50 mfg. rebate running through 02/2017, so that doesn't hurt either.

For that price point, or lower, what would you be buying?

Thanks for the input!

Ice Report--- saw skim ice, out to about a foot from shore at 8600 ft. in Las Animas county, while fishing for kokes, last week. Hoping this cold snap hangs on!!
"To learn who rules over you, simply find out who you are not allowed to criticize"

Offline lostbrit

• Team IceShanty Regular
You will get the following answers: get a vex they are bullet proof: vex suck get a marcum.  I have owned both companys units and kept my vex's (fl20 flx28) they never let me down. My buddy runs a hummingbird 35 and has trouble picking up his jigs quite often,but it seems to have better battery life than mine.  I know one thing for sure any sonar will be better than none.  good luck

Offline Lukaszu

• Team IceShanty Regular
Get a Marcum... They the best of the best..... Of the best number uno!

Offline chris71383

• Team IceShanty Regular
Definatly go with vex. Theargument and vex both work well, but the vex is a lot more durable and trouble free. Had 3 different buddies that had to send their Marcums back multiple times. They switched to vex and havn't had an issue and actually like the vex better. I recently sold my fl8-se (I have a 20 and a 28)that I bought new over 10 years ago and never had any issues in that time other than replacing the battery after 7 years.

Offline cat26fish

• IceShanty Rookie
I have a marcum LX-7 and a Vex FLX-28.   I like them both, I don't think you can go wrong with either.   I think I end up using the marcum more, mainly because my buddy uses a vex, and I like to be different. I have never had a problem with my marcum.  Take a look on the vex website as they have some great deals on reconditioned products directly from them, and I think they have the same warranty.  I shopped around on Black Friday the past couple of years and didn't see an specials on either unit. I don't know where your at, but if you want to try out either unit out on the ice PM me and maybe we can meet up. 

Cheers
Brad

Offline ship of fools

• Team IceShanty Maniac
Old school vexilar guy here. Bought my 18 used on ebay for under $275 years ago and it is still going strong.

If you fish with other people nearby be aware that the Marcum's put out a ton of interference and the Lowrance's pick up a ton of interference.

Also if you plan on going beyond 80 or 90 feet the Lowrance machine i had was useless and you really need more than the single beam 12 degree vex transducer.
Goin' where the wind don't blow so strange,
Maybe off on some high cold mountain chain.

Offline SLAYERFISH

• Team IceShantyholic
Either way U will be fine. I like my Marcum LX-5. That said the LX-3 or even the VXI would work just fine.  Ready to come down and visit you guys again- ;D
Love Me or Hate Me-
All Metal all the Time!

Offline filetandrelease

• Team IceshantyInsanity

I own Vex , hummingbird, and lowrance , and a few buds run marcum , IMO they all do what they are designed for

Offline step2jimi

• Team IceShanty Maniac
I went with a humminbird helix 5 gps combo. The unit is awesome. I have fished from 6 feet for gills to 120 feet for lakers and it has not failed me. Bright crisp display, i prefer graph mode but it does have a flasher mode. I started out with an old matrix 12 by humminbird and thought it was a good unit until i got the matrix with color more power and having gps is awesome. I located some awesome areas in the boat this year and with the press of a button they are saved for me for ice season. I know guys love there flashers but there is another option dont think that just because people tell you that this or that is the best that its your only option.

Offline Bigassbassman

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • New home, MA-->CO
There's a fundamental difference that's worth considering when you're talking about flasher vs. sonar.  If you haven't spent much time with either of them on the ice, make sure you ask someone to try them out and get a feel for what you're getting into.   

For me, a flasher was definitely the way to go.   I have the Marcum Lx-3tc and I've been very happy with it the past 4 years with it.  I couldn't even imagine fishing without it these days.  There's just no comparison to the advantage the flasher gives me when targeting finicky fish using different presentations.  Nothing like finally seeing a fish commit to your jig on the flasher.  BAM!  If you're more interested in navionics and bottom contour mapping, then maybe a sonar would be right for you.
Flags up, gentlemen!!!

Offline chilly-willy

• Team IceShanty Maniac
A vex like a fl8 and a pocket Garmin GPS and buy the lake maps for it.. I think their around $100.00each

259.99 for the vex fl8 if you look around I am sure you find it cheaper and 69.99 for the Garmin e trex... then another100.00 for the lakes chip  together is 430 for just the vex and GPS later on add 100 map set and you should be good to go... the GPS was on sale at cabelas.Com that way your screen does not slow to a halt wile fishing in cold weather.. like on the hook 5 lowrance unit.. if you want a better GPs??? Then there is the e trex touch 25 is $199.99  that would come out to 459.99 for GPs /vex and no mapping sets for the gps... plus shipping and taxes.. I think the e trex 10 can be up dated with maps but not sure would have to search it up...   also make sure the gps covers your most fished lakes I noticed when I bought mine some maps for GPses did not cover all my popular lakes.. so always search it out.. also if you fish deep water or shallow water the cables on the vex can be bought to for your specific needs.. like a 9* and a 12* and a 19* transducer cable.   I think they even habe a switchable dual mode transducer for vex so keep it in mind that the cable that come with lowrace is like a 16* or 19* cone angle  which usally is not as good when fishing deep water. For lake trout etc etc..  that's what I would buy is a vex and a pocket gps...   by the way ram mounts for the snowmobile for your pocket gps is the way to go  they got tons of stuff at ram mount. Com so check them out to..

Offline step2jimi

• Team IceShanty Maniac
There's a fundamental difference that's worth considering when you're talking about flasher vs. sonar.  If you haven't spent much time with either of them on the ice, make sure you ask someone to try them out and get a feel for what you're getting into.   

For me, a flasher was definitely the way to go.   I have the Marcum Lx-3tc and I've been very happy with it the past 4 years with it.  I couldn't even imagine fishing without it these days.  There's just no comparison to the advantage the flasher gives me when targeting finicky fish using different presentations.  Nothing like finally seeing a fish commit to your jig on the flasher.  BAM!  If you're more interested in navionics and bottom contour mapping, then maybe a sonar would be right for you.

Almost seems your suggesting that with a sonar you cant see a fish react or commit to a jig? With my sonar i can not only aee jig and fish clearly but can see when the fish is moving in or iut based on the color pallet. Time and time again when the marks go from yellow to red bam thats when you get hit. But suggesting that the only reason it would be right for him is because of mapping and bottom contouring is incorrect information. I have used flashers many times. Just not what i prefer but they do work. i enjoy tthe history you get with a sonar. I like when im jigging perch and a lake trout comes in i can easily tell its a laker. I like that when things get slow and i want to move i can look at my map on the same screen and select a waypoint or come up with a plan of attack. Much more then just a map and a depth.

Offline Bigassbassman

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • New home, MA-->CO
Almost seems your suggesting that with a sonar you cant see a fish react or commit to a jig? With my sonar i can not only aee jig and fish clearly but can see when the fish is moving in or iut based on the color pallet. Time and time again when the marks go from yellow to red bam thats when you get hit. But suggesting that the only reason it would be right for him is because of mapping and bottom contouring is incorrect information. I have used flashers many times. Just not what i prefer but they do work. i enjoy tthe history you get with a sonar. I like when im jigging perch and a lake trout comes in i can easily tell its a laker. I like that when things get slow and i want to move i can look at my map on the same screen and select a waypoint or come up with a plan of attack. Much more then just a map and a depth.
Nope, never said that.  As I said, people should take a look at both in action and see what works best for them.  For me, I really enjoy seeing real-time movement of marks come up and hit my moving jig using the flasher.  The slowly moving wavy lines of sonar contours just don't do it for me when ice fishing. To each his/her own.

And by the way, if you know how to use a flasher correctly, you can also tell the size/species of the fish by the color/size of the marks, and you can also tell if the fish is coming in or going out based on the changes in the mark color/size over time.  It's almost as if you're saying you can only do that with a sonar.  Many times I'm jigging for perch near the bottom and I can see a bass come in above them, stare at the jig, and smack it.  All options, be it sonar or flasher, have their advantages and disadvantages.  Nothing's perfect.
Flags up, gentlemen!!!

Offline filetandrelease

• Team IceshantyInsanity
I have used flashers for longer than I wish to admit ,  and yes you can tell bigger fish from smaller ones  , You can Do the same on a sonar , far as being slow and wavy lines it might need to be adjusted is all ,  or it could be a very old unit they did things like that ,  far as lag yep there is but the human eye can't pick up 1/10 of a second , the marcum has the least with 1/20 of a second , 1 fish from 6-160' with no trouble seeing my jig move or fish coming after it
 flashers are much simpler to operate and very accurate  ,graphs do take some adjusting
   The one that makes you happy that's the right one , I still use my fl18 hipno wheel once in awhile
Having graph or flasher is better than nothing in my book , I found some old depth sounders the other day omg  I'm a hoarder lol
Tite lines

Offline step2jimi

• Team IceShanty Maniac
Nope, never said that.  As I said, people should take a look at both in action and see what works best for them.  For me, I really enjoy seeing real-time movement of marks come up and hit my moving jig using the flasher.  The slowly moving wavy lines of sonar contours just don't do it for me when ice fishing. To each his/her own.

And by the way, if you know how to use a flasher correctly, you can also tell the size/species of the fish by the color/size of the marks, and you can also tell if the fish is coming in or going out based on the changes in the mark color/size over time.  It's almost as if you're saying you can only do that with a sonar.  Many times I'm jigging for perch near the bottom and I can see a bass come in above them, stare at the jig, and smack it.  All options, be it sonar or flasher, have their advantages and disadvantages.  Nothing's perfect.

"If you're more interested in navionics and bottom contour mapping, then maybe a sonar would be right for you." This suggests that those two things are the only thing a sonar is good for. When in reality the mapping is an bonus, an extra feature to go along with doing everything that a flasher can do. Like i said, Iv fished plenty with both. Just prefer the versatility of having my gps and the choice of suing the flasher screen or the graph screen. I simply want to help the op get the most information he can regarding the topic. With all of that said either unit from top of the line to bottom of the line will be a game changer as far as jiggin is concerned.

Offline stinkyfingers

• Team IceShanty Maniac
Wowser step2jimi-- Rotterdam! What the heck are you doing way over there and yet posting on the Colorado board?
What do you fish for in the flat, flat lands?
We're born, we live for a while, and then we die.  Sounds like a good reason to go ice fishing.
                                                               Stinky

Offline Knoodles

• Team IceShanty Addict
You will get the following answers: get a vex they are bullet proof: vex suck get a marcum.  I have owned both companys units and kept my vex's (fl20 flx28) they never let me down. My buddy runs a hummingbird 35 and has trouble picking up his jigs quite often,but it seems to have better battery life than mine.  I know one thing for sure any sonar will be better than none.  good luck
X2 on this....I have run Vex, Marcum and Humminbird.  Last year I took my new Marcum right to a local sports shop after a day on the ice and traded it in for a new Vex.  I went without vex for almost 6 years to avoid interference with my buddies but enough was enough.  I cannot speak to the Marcum digital units but as far as flashers go it is Vex hands down.  I had more problems then I care to discuss with my Humminbird and was quite unimpressed with the Marcum lx 5.  From a guy that has used all 3 and has zero bias, I say go vex for reliability, durability and a flasher that will last a lifetime. 

Good luck. 

Offline ship of fools

• Team IceShanty Maniac
Wowser step2jimi-- Rotterdam! What the heck are you doing way other there and yet posting on the Colorado board?
What do you fish for in the flat, flat lands?

Lake trout 😎.   We're a long way from flatlands too. Adirondacks aren't 14k but they are definitely mountains

Offline stinkyfingers

• Team IceShanty Maniac
Lake trout 😎.   We're a long way from flatlands too. Adirondacks aren't 14k but they are definitely mountains
Somehow I was thinking of you being at the other Rotterdam, the one with windmills and frozen canals and dikes against the North Sea. Fishing for tench and pike. My mistake. Still, the Adirondacks are what we'd call a hole in the ground.
We're born, we live for a while, and then we die.  Sounds like a good reason to go ice fishing.
                                                               Stinky

Offline SLAYERFISH

• Team IceShantyholic
. Adirondacks aren't 14k but they are definitely mountains

Hills, maybe. ;D
Love Me or Hate Me-
All Metal all the Time!

Offline step2jimi

• Team IceShanty Maniac
HEY! We charish our dacks! May not be is big as your mountains but they are ours, there are others like them, but they are ours! ;D

Planning an elk trip to montana next year. may cruise around out that way for a week or so after.

Offline SLAYERFISH

• Team IceShantyholic
HEY! We charish our dacks! May not be is big as your mountains but they are ours, there are others like them, but they are ours! ;D

Planning an elk trip to montana next year. may cruise around out that way for a week or so after.

Come check out the High Rockies. You may never leave- ;D
Love Me or Hate Me-
All Metal all the Time!

Offline stinkyfingers

• Team IceShanty Maniac

You are most welcome, even for ice fishing. Plenty of ice here even if there's not much oxygen up high. Also, we're not quite as A-holey as we might seem. Some of us. The Dacks are beautiful. Wish we had those Fall colors.
                                                               Stinky

Offline ship of fools

• Team IceShanty Maniac
I found out my wife has a good friend from high school in Denver and she just invited us out for a week....   I was thinking Elk hunting but who am i kidding...     I would come jig lakers in a second with you guys.

How big do they get?   We catch 22 - 26 inch fish regularly with a couple per year up to 30 inches or so. I was fortunate enough to land a 37+ a few years ago on a little jigging rod. That experience ranks right near the top of all of the fish i have ever caught.

And whichever one of you called the Adks hills i dare you to come climb a couple of them with me  @)

Offline stinkyfingers

• Team IceShanty Maniac
I don't imagine that you're going to get Slayer into a hill climbing contest but locally we've got 53 of them over 14,000' and a bunch just under so you'll want to bring the big girl panties along.
I'm not a laker guy myself but Dillon Reservoir is reachable from Denver and it's said to be good. Blue Mesa is solid for lakers but too much windshield time for you. Any Colorado laker guys that can advise this man?
                                                               Stinky

Offline ronco

• Team IceShanty Regular
I don't imagine that you're going to get Slayer into a hill climbing contest but locally we've got 53 of them over 14,000' and a bunch just under so you'll want to bring the big girl panties along.
I'm not a laker guy myself but Dillon Reservoir is reachable from Denver and it's said to be good. Blue Mesa is solid for lakers but too much windshield time for you. Any Colorado laker guys that can advise this man?

Dillon doesn't have lakers, just small kokanee, trout and arctic char. For size, Granby would be best From Denver. For lots of small ones Green Mountain and Williams fork, there are large ones in those also, but not as common
The secret to fishing.....fish where the fish are.

Offline walleyeslayer06

• IceShanty Rookie
Vex FL-28 FTW

Biased because I am from MN

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.