Author Topic: new to winni  (Read 3124 times)

Offline SPARKYICE

• Team IceShanty Addict
new to winni
« on: Nov 16, 2016, 01:37 PM »
hey guys,
my brother recently moved to New Hampshire and wants to do some fishing on lake winni this winter. he has been in contact with a local guide, tim moore, about booking a trip.
does anybody have kind words to say about his operation? $350 seems like a lot of money for a day on the ice, but, I get it. with all the time and equipment invested I wouldn't expect it could be done for much less.
that, and the fact we have never seen the lake before, it might be a fair price for tuition.
I've only ever heard of white perch before, never seen one. how are they as table fare? like any other panfish? better? worse?
what sort of baits would be used? jigs? bugs? minnows?
is there lodging in the area? "rustic" is good. we don't need many amenities.
if anybody has any advice, opinions, or warnings please let me know.
thanks, and have a good, safe year on the ice.
cheers,
joe

grandpa told me-"never wrestle with a pig. you both get muddy and the pig likes it".

Offline lowaccord66

• Team IceshantyInsanity
Re: new to winni
« Reply #1 on: Nov 16, 2016, 01:44 PM »
350 is a drop in the bucket compared to the spend required to figure it out alone.  Unfortunately for people in the guiding business the liability insurance is a giant nut to get over....best of luck, I've never fished the lake either...one day.

Offline 800stealth

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #2 on: Nov 16, 2016, 01:55 PM »
If I were going to hire a guide for Winni it would be Yo-Adrian charters... Check them out, the link is at the top of the NH page. White perch eat about the same as other pannies. As far as lodging goes there's something for everyone... be it a one room shack to a 17 bathroom estate, you'll find them all around the lake.
"May your lines be tight and never be tangled" (old Frankish Proverb)  Guinea 2021

Offline dunphy11

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #3 on: Nov 16, 2016, 05:58 PM »
I think Tim works hard every day , I have seen him on the ice several times and he always seems to be working at his trade. I wish it was me! All panfish gear will work at the right time . I think as greenies hiring a guide will help you to find a direction to learn on ,,,,best of luck , get out and get a line in the water is the best thing you can do!

Offline bassin212

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #4 on: Nov 17, 2016, 12:56 AM »
I have fished with both guides, I actually know Adrien pretty well. Both are really nice but I would say it depends what you wanna fish for. Adrien has fished Winni since he was a kid and I did a 5 day trip with him in Maine and he's really personable and knows a whole lot. They both have different styles of fishing. I would say go for which ever is cheaper if 350 it steep. Both are great guides though. I'd say Tim Moore is more of a white perch guy but Adrien is an awesome lake trout fisherman and overall guide in terms of getting you started for ice fishing on your own.
Tight Lines!

Offline bassfun

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #5 on: Nov 17, 2016, 11:16 AM »
I would go with Adrien he knows the lake and will get you what your looking for . He is also a sponsors the Ice Shanty site
You will not be disappointed
 :icefish:

Offline SmellsLikeFishNH

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #6 on: Nov 17, 2016, 11:26 AM »
They are both good guys and both will put you on fish.

Adrien offers a different experience than Tim, with the Argo and snowmobiles, etc.....Tim does seem to focus on Perch and Adrien focuses on Trout, but see the attached picture of a trip I did with Adrien for White Perch. He can get you on whatever fish you are looking for. I have fished with him dozens of times. Guided trips are pricey whoever you go with. Only "guided trip" that isn't expensive is a party boat. Try a 6 pack charter and you will see $600-$800 as the average price.

As stated earlier, there is lodging all over the lake.

Offline dickbaker

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #7 on: Nov 17, 2016, 02:22 PM »
Sparky ???   Where are you located.  How far to Winni from your home base?
Dick

Offline Coffin Dodger

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #8 on: Nov 17, 2016, 10:03 PM »
Here's the summation of a Yo Adrien ice charter.

And another trip....

There's a few chubby whities in here..^^

Offline dickbaker

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #9 on: Nov 18, 2016, 10:48 AM »
I have always gone with Adrien.  Not only because  he is an IS sponsor but because He's never let me down, regardless of what species I ask for??    He's absolutely a fish finding machine!   The last time I fished with he stayed with us at the LAZE-E motel  and he had no qualms about letting us  pay the dinner bill ::)     Be thankful that his apple farm doesn't take up all of his winter time??
Dick

Offline SPARKYICE

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #10 on: Nov 18, 2016, 12:37 PM »
thanks for all the info guys! I've been on the ice for over 40 years and have enough gear for about 6 guys. It's just we have never been fishing in new Hampshire before. I live in the southern tier of ny (west of binghampton), about a 6 hour haul to glouster, mass. my brother had been on the west coast for 30 or more years now.
we havn't heard back from the guide yet, busy time of year I suppose. we'll keep doing research, plan is to be there end of January, and to try and avoid the tournament.
again, thanks to all of you, and maybe we'll catch up with you on the ice.
grandpa told me-"never wrestle with a pig. you both get muddy and the pig likes it".

Offline potatomansoup

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • Follow the code of the Fish Nerds...
« Reply #11 on: Nov 23, 2016, 12:03 PM »
I think Tim Moore and Yo Adrien are both great choices
Think of hiring a guide as a time money swap.. How much time do you have to find fish? Hiring one of these guys will make it totally fun. I just opened a guide service and hope one day to have half-the reputation of these guys
For free fishy fun, check out the Fish Nerds Podcast on iTunes or Stitcher

Offline Dispy

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #12 on: Nov 23, 2016, 09:28 PM »
No need to pay, unless of course that's your desire....I'd be more than happy to take you out and show you a thing or two....thats what this site is all about...making new fishing friends and helping others...your choice :)

Offline JoeGG

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #13 on: Nov 24, 2016, 08:42 AM »
I would take Dispy up on that offer. Good man. Hell of an angler. And if you want to get technical and learn more than most guys will try to teach you, he's it. I have the maps and moon phase info to prove it. Lol

Offline dickbaker

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #14 on: Nov 24, 2016, 09:45 AM »
 ;D  I would go with Tom's offer!   He always seems to catch fish and he can cook too?    Better than Tim Moore who has two armful of tattoos and admits that it sometime takes him more than a full day to catch enough fish for a 20 minute video??

Dick

Offline JoeGG

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #15 on: Nov 24, 2016, 09:58 AM »
Uh oh

Offline dickbaker

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #16 on: Nov 24, 2016, 10:26 AM »
 ??? ::)  Oh Joe!  You are so politically sensitive ?   I'm just a retired old curmudgeon  with too little time left love everyone??
Dick

Offline MikeSJ

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #17 on: Nov 24, 2016, 10:58 AM »
Thanks Dipsy!  My brother Joe (SPARKYICE) and I really appreciate the offer.  I'm looking forward to getting out soon.  This is a great site.  Thanks for the hospitality
Mike  <><

Offline JoeGG

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #18 on: Nov 24, 2016, 07:19 PM »
??? ::)  Oh Joe!  You are so politically sensitive ?   I'm just a retired old curmudgeon  with too little time left love everyone??
Dick
Both  my arms are inked up to my shoulders. I had a coat on when we fished Winni that time so you didn't notice.

Offline dickbaker

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #19 on: Nov 25, 2016, 07:59 AM »
Sorry Joe!   I guess I've just never understood tatoos?
Dick

Offline JoeGG

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #20 on: Nov 25, 2016, 08:22 PM »
I don't have any tattoos.  ;D ;D ;D

Offline Art 53

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • Good things come to those who bait
« Reply #21 on: Nov 26, 2016, 11:28 AM »
Joe I didn't think that would go over very well at school

Offline HardwaterGS

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #22 on: Nov 28, 2016, 06:21 PM »
Joe
I have been out with Tim Moore. Top notch in my book.
I don't know what Tattoos have to do with fishing? You will have a great day with him.
Don't let sour grapes from someone that probably has never fished with him sway you.
Have fun and tight lines! 

Offline Tim Moore

• IceShanty Rookie
  • Pro Staff Member, Educator
« Reply #23 on: Nov 28, 2016, 06:49 PM »
;D  I would go with Tom's offer!   He always seems to catch fish and he can cook too?    Better than Tim Moore who has two armful of tattoos and admits that it sometime takes him more than a full day to catch enough fish for a 20 minute video??

Dick

Hmm...that's strange. I received the email below on 11/12 from another Dick Baker who also writes for the Hawkeye, but I turned the offer down. Who knew there were two of you! Do you know each other...dick?

"Message = Tim, I would like to trade a pike/bass boat trip on Moore Reservoir for a good day of white perch or crappie jigging on Winni? My son and I have two boats ready to fish Moore Reservoir. As always we prefer to fish September, October but June is always good. I grew up in Dover and spent much of my youth fishing the Bellamy when it was brand new?? I still return when I want to ice fish for crappie and blue gill! I write for Hawkeye Magazine as Dick Baker."

Offline Tim Moore

• IceShanty Rookie
  • Pro Staff Member, Educator
« Reply #24 on: Nov 28, 2016, 06:59 PM »
Thanks Dipsy!  My brother Joe (SPARKYICE) and I really appreciate the offer.  I'm looking forward to getting out soon.  This is a great site.  Thanks for the hospitality
Mike  <><

Mike,

Dispy and I have had our differences, but if he's offering to take you out you might want to go with him. He knows his stuff. Not that I wouldn't.

Tim

Offline winnisquam guy

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #25 on: Dec 01, 2016, 07:57 PM »
not to get in the middle of anything but if you pm me, I can get you a number to call for accommodations in the weirs beach area. determine what you want to catch cause the big lake(winnie) has a bit of everything(except browns , pike).
it's a big lake at 45000 acres. in late Jan. , the lake likely will not be frozen entirely.there are numerous hazards to be aware of.
 the guides mentioned are both knowledgeable and experienced on the big lake and should provide you a memorable experience.

Offline sorelippin

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #26 on: Dec 05, 2016, 08:54 AM »

Dick

I logged on in hopes of getting pumped up for the ice season and this is the nonsense I read.  Same old stuff from the same old folks and ice fishing hasn't even started yet.  This is completely uncalled for.  Dick, your name is about as fitting as it gets.  If I was a mod, you wouldn't ever be allowed on this site again.  No need to bash a man who is trying to make a living and then suggest that tattoos makes a man "less than".  You always have been a real piece of work on here.  I actually feel sorry for you that you have to knock a man down (that you probably have never fished with or know personally) just because you're miserable.  What you said about Tim should really show everyone the type of person you truly are.

Offline lowaccord66

• Team IceshantyInsanity
« Reply #27 on: Dec 05, 2016, 03:04 PM »
Since the dawn of the internet, men, some of which are respectable sportsmen, have become sensitive whiners.  I remember when I was a kid growing up learning to fish....there was no internet...and if the older guys wanted to make fun of you, they did, and you'd laugh.  Dick's a nice guy, offered to help me in the past.  Off color or not, people love to get up in arms over things on the internet just for the sake of it. Better things to get upset over.

Offline AQUAASSASSIN

• Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #28 on: Dec 05, 2016, 04:50 PM »
Hey, I can think of a million Dinks, myself included. For what it's worth I've known Tim since I was a young boy and he's done nothing but be a solid Friend. Meet him, make your own assumption. We all have that right. He's alright in my book.
You count your years by the Winters.

It’s not being Cocky if you can back it up.

Offline dickbaker

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #29 on: Dec 05, 2016, 06:54 PM »
Hey, I can think of a million Dinks, myself included. For what it's worth I've known Tim since I was a young boy and he's done nothing but be a solid Friend. Meet him, make your own assumption. We all have that right. He's alright in my book.

Hey Frank!  If you love him I guess he must be OK!   I guess, as  Tim Mentioned , I was a little hurt when he turned down my request to share fishing trips with hopes of a story for Hawkeye.   I did it twice with Adrien Lovoie and Adrien appreciated the opportunity and used one of the stories on his web site.    Maybe one of these days I will have a chance to meet Tim on the ice or while fishing Moore Reservoir.
I'll try not to complain so much, but that's what old curmudgeons are supposed to do??
Hope you got your annual supply of venison.
Dick

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.