The ice fishing Michigan board sponsored by:

Sponsor this board

Author Topic: Higgins Lake Smelt  (Read 1911 times)

Offline Kingsford

• IceShanty Rookie
Higgins Lake Smelt
« on: Nov 16, 2016, 07:52 AM »
Thinking of making a trip North from Pittsburgh on the free fishing weekend in February. My family has a cabin in the Lupton area and my Uncle has one at Houghton Lake That we would more than likely stay at. My dad always tells of the days of the old smelt runs. I really would like to catch some would Higgins be my best choice?

Thanks for any tips or advice,
Kingsford

Offline frogmaster

• Team IceShanty Regular
Re: Higgins Lake Smelt
« Reply #1 on: Nov 16, 2016, 08:03 AM »
Yes.  Youtube has some videos, also see the Michigan Section here at IS

I have not yet targeted them nor have fished Higgins either.

Good luck
Fish FEAR ME ;)

Offline DaveSS1

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #2 on: Nov 16, 2016, 08:12 AM »
I think the good ol days are over with the smelt up there for now...  The catch rates the last 2 seasons have been way lower than average and someways non-existent.  Not sure why that is as they had great catches in 2010,11,12.  Some of the locals think the smelt populations are finally thinning out, but others say they are just going through a change in the ecosystem and still report Lake trout and pike that have bellies full of smelt.  Either way its still a great fishery for many species with lake trout, yellow perch and large Northern pike.  Also Houghton lake is worth your time if you like to catch walleye and lots of pike.  Both lakes have special restrictions so make sure to read your guide in regards to size, possession.  Good luck.

Offline Kingsford

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #3 on: Nov 16, 2016, 08:25 AM »
I have read about the decline in smelt catches, Maybe this will be a bounce back year. I really want to catch some smelt but would be happy with some Perch or Walleye as well.

Offline Mike Wagner

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #4 on: Nov 17, 2016, 04:30 AM »
As Dave said smelt have been extremely spotty the last few years, went from gangbuster to maybe one here & there. Higgins also has Lk Trout that is fun with tipups and a blast jigging.

Offline WestSideAl8x8

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Pants up, don't loot!
« Reply #5 on: Nov 17, 2016, 09:33 PM »
Ice fishing for smelt is a blast if the fish are there. I usually fish for them in Crystal Lake in Benzie County. It's about an hour and a half drive from the south end of Houghton Lake. Houghton and Higgins have excellent fishing for perch and lake trout. Best fishing for smelt is at night. Crystal is a big deep lake and is usually one of the last in the state to get safe ice. Have fun!!

Offline scout 2

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #6 on: Nov 21, 2016, 08:59 PM »
 If the smelt are there you can catch them during the day in Feb Mar, and April by sight fishing

Offline Kingsford

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #7 on: Nov 22, 2016, 07:32 AM »
With normal winter temps will Higgins and Houghton have good ice by mid february. I will just be walking with a smitty sled.

Offline DaveSS1

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #8 on: Nov 22, 2016, 07:44 AM »
With normal winter temps will Higgins and Houghton have good ice by mid february. I will just be walking with a smitty sled.
You bet! 

Houghton is the first to freeze and usually has ice sometime in December as its a shallow lake with most depths from 6-10'  If this winter stays normal you will have 18-24+ inches in February.  Its is big lake, so if you are going by foot you might want to plan ahead.  Luckily there are several access points and if you are willing to walk a mile (or two) you will find fish.  Pike are all over the lake.  Lyman's is always helpful and great place to get bait.  Also a heads up the last 2 weekends in January is the annual tip up town.  Not my thing as there is too many people and its more of a social event and the lake can get crazy with snow mobiles and such...

Higgins gets it ice later as its a much deeper lake (50-70' average) and probably safely has ice near mid-end January for the lake to totally lock up.  I would imagine 12+" by Feb.  Again a very big lake and if you are going by foot it can be tough as the access points are not necessary where the fish are somedays.

I guess I would check in with Lymans the closer you get to your trip.  If its like last year you might only have 10" or years past and auger extensions were required.

Offline scout 2

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #9 on: Nov 22, 2016, 08:30 AM »
 Before you go give Higgins Lake sports a call and talk to Bill. He fishes there a lot. His shop is by the Silver Dollar bar and across from the fire barn

Offline Kingsford

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #10 on: Nov 22, 2016, 01:07 PM »
Thanks guys thats all great information. Much appreciated. I am sure I will have other questions

Offline WestSideAl8x8

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Pants up, don't loot!
« Reply #11 on: Nov 23, 2016, 06:05 PM »
Shoot me a message before you go. I travel for work, so I never know where I will be from week to week. If I am home the week you are going fishing I'd be happy to get ya out. I have an 8x8 Argo and can haul 6 guys in it. Always open to meet new people and help out.

Offline Kingsford

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #12 on: Nov 23, 2016, 09:40 PM »
That's a very cool offer, thank you.

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.