The Ice Fishing MA is board

Author Topic: Polomar VS. Crimp  (Read 4915 times)

Offline esox_xtm

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShantyholic
  • It's Showtime!
Re: Polomar VS. Crimp
« Reply #60 on: Dec 02, 2016, 07:36 PM »
OK, here's another option most folks hate. They hate it because it's not "invisible", they hate it because it's not the latest/greatest, they hate it because, well, I don't know why.....

This is old (old) school from giant pike in the UK and Europe. In case you haven't noticed, they grow pike waaaay bigger over there than just about anywhere here. The favored connection there is 20# uncoated steel wire with a no crimp connection. Detailed in In-Fisherman oh, some 25 - 30 years ago. The connection is rock solid, you test it if you don't believe.

Plusses: low cost, easy to work with, no special tools required, no memory, cut proof, low profile....

Deltas: Most folks just can't bring themselves to..... sigh.

Good knots are OK at 50# or below with  plastic leaders, crimps are great (done properly) on heavier tests. Wire, any billed as "tieable" is over priced for it's advantages and the "knots" are generally bulkier than a twist/wrap on similar pound test of uncoated steel.

Steel just gets a bad rap because, well, it's called "steel". Drop me a line and I can clue you in. If you need an alternative to plastic leaders, look no further. Say the magic word I might even send a sample......  ;)

This is an uphill battle but I have yet to be significantly outfished by users of plastic leaders or otherwise high tech leaders. I am but a voice in the wilderness......

To fish or not to fish? That's a stupid question!

“Imagination is the only weapon in the war against reality.”― Lewis Carroll

Offline lowaccord66

• Team IceshantyInsanity
Re: Polomar VS. Crimp
« Reply #61 on: Dec 03, 2016, 05:10 AM »
Cool thanks Jon, Jon right?

Yes sir and anytime!

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.