The Ice Fishing MA is board

Author Topic: Polomar VS. Crimp  (Read 4912 times)

Offline Papa Sly

• Team IceShanty Maniac
Polomar VS. Crimp
« on: Nov 15, 2016, 10:00 AM »

This proves the effectiveness of a proper crimp even at 30# mono. Thanks to Bassquach I only crimp now for bass with 40# and Pike with 60-80#. Always crimp with wire also for all leaders. Caught 2-3 times more pike on heavy flouro than wire and didn't have any break offs with 80#.
A bad day of ice fishing is better than any day at work!
http://i.imgur.com/dIEANML.jpg?1

Offline stripernut

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Tight Lines!
Re: Polomar VS. Crimp
« Reply #1 on: Nov 15, 2016, 10:58 AM »
This is the test that works best for me;
&t=10s

If a Palomar broke as easy as his "Test" demonstrated, then I would not have landed that tuna or many other big fish using a Palomar Knot. That being said, I use crimps myself and find them a great tool, just not necessary for lighter lines, but if someone feels the need, go for it!

Offline Papa Sly

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #2 on: Nov 15, 2016, 05:54 PM »
Wow Allen that was a beautiful fish.

Offline chilly-willy

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #3 on: Nov 15, 2016, 06:02 PM »
Now you know why crimps are not sold for lower then 30 lb test cause the mono Is greatly reduced in break strength when crimped .. any how 40 is good 50 is better that why if you can just use a Polamar knot you will be better off.. 

Offline BaitBucket

• Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #4 on: Nov 15, 2016, 06:38 PM »
He should have used a scale to see what kind of pressure he was getting. I wouldnt be surprised if he was getting close to 25-30lb of pull when that line popped using a Palomar knot.

Crimps work well, but its another "thing" for the fish to see. If you are using 30lb leader with a palomar knot, you arent going to be able to hold onto the line tight enough to pop it by hand. As we saw in the video, this dude is pretty big and needed several wraps around a leather glove just to hold the line.
Official Member of The G.I.T.s, Gods In Training 1/2014
The fishing was good; it was the catching that was bad.

Offline BASSQUATCH

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Gone Fishing 🎣
« Reply #5 on: Nov 16, 2016, 11:31 AM »
I certainly wouldn't worry about a fish seeing the crimp sleeve.  I'm sure it just looks like piece of debris, weed, etc to a fish. As far as being easy to tie knots with lighter fluorocarbon, yes its not too difficult, unless you're hands get cold or numb easily. I myself rarely use gloves, hands don't really get too cold. I however like the simplicity and quickness of crimping. I've yet to have one fail me in the 4-5  years of crimping. I say use whatever makes you feel comfortable. 

Offline ICEHOLE

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • INSTAGRAM: MATTACHUSETTS
« Reply #6 on: Nov 28, 2016, 02:52 PM »
I certainly wouldn't worry about a fish seeing the crimp sleeve.  I'm sure it just looks like piece of debris, weed, etc to a fish. As far as being easy to tie knots with lighter fluorocarbon, yes its not too difficult, unless you're hands get cold or numb easily. I myself rarely use gloves, hands don't really get too cold. I however like the simplicity and quickness of crimping. I've yet to have one fail me in the 4-5  years of crimping. I say use whatever makes you feel comfortable.
I followed keiths lead on the crimps and ive been super happy with it. not one failure or break off. and lots of fish! I don't see a reason to do anything different. I make up extra leaders before season starts and keep them on a lindy rigger incase I get stumped and do need to put on a new leader.

Offline lowaccord66

• Team IceshantyInsanity
« Reply #7 on: Nov 28, 2016, 04:25 PM »
Never had a problem trying knots with 30, 40, 50# floro so I don't burn my time crimping leaders unless they are steel. To each is own on this one...

Offline basst_

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #8 on: Nov 29, 2016, 08:56 AM »
palomar knot for anything less then 25lbs. when im tying 40lbs floro i hate using the palomar knot.  i feel like its not tight enough

Offline ICEHOLE

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #9 on: Nov 29, 2016, 11:31 AM »
either will get the job done. I perfer the crimps because you can space the sleeve away from the hook just a tad so the hook can actually dangle in the loop thus i would think giving it a little more action and allowing the shiner to move a little better....just a theory

Offline BaitBucket

• Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #10 on: Nov 29, 2016, 01:44 PM »
I perfer the crimps because you can space the sleeve away from the hook just a tad so the hook can actually dangle in the loop thus i would think giving it a little more action and allowing the shiner to move a little better....just a theory

I use a simple Perfection Loop Knot for the same reason when using hooks with a straight eye.
http://www.animatedknots.com/perfection/#ScrollPoint

I make up extra leaders before season starts and keep them on a lindy rigger incase I get stumped and do need to put on a new leader.

Matt, how do you like that lindy rigger? I was looking at getting one to hold various leaders of different lb test for quick swaps.

Offline ICEHOLE

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #11 on: Nov 29, 2016, 01:57 PM »
Matt, how do you like that lindy rigger? I was looking at getting one to hold various leaders of different lb test for quick swaps.

Works great for me, i was luck enough to have lindy screw up my order. I ordered some jigs and random things. They lost my order so the rushed me another one, and must have found my old order and sent me that too so i got 2x the the order..was happy about that

Offline pmaloney86

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #12 on: Nov 29, 2016, 01:58 PM »
either will get the job done. I perfer the crimps because you can space the sleeve away from the hook just a tad so the hook can actually dangle in the loop thus i would think giving it a little more action and allowing the shiner to move a little better....just a theory

The loop knot is a very strong knot and will allow you to have the knot a little ways away from the eye of the hook and will let the lure or hook dangle freely versus being cinched down to the eye.  It is not a hard knot to tie so I'd think it would take less time than breaking out the crimping tools in case you didn't have enough leaders.
westernmas on the finder

Offline pmaloney86

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #13 on: Nov 29, 2016, 02:05 PM »
I use a simple Perfection Loop Knot for the same reason when using hooks with a straight eye.
http://www.animatedknots.com/perfection/#ScrollPoint

Baitbucket beat me to it.  I was referencing the Kreh Loop Knot.  It is a little easier to tie than the perfection IMO.
westernmas on the finder

Offline ICEHOLE

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #14 on: Nov 29, 2016, 02:25 PM »
The loop knot is a very strong knot and will allow you to have the knot a little ways away from the eye of the hook and will let the lure or hook dangle freely versus being cinched down to the eye.  It is not a hard knot to tie so I'd think it would take less time than breaking out the crimping tools in case you didn't have enough leaders.
i enjoy breaking out the crimp tool and sleeves while i wait for ice to form  ;) i feel like i prep, and fiddle with everything a month or so before i can even use it...

Offline BaitBucket

• Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #15 on: Nov 29, 2016, 03:15 PM »
i enjoy breaking out the crimp tool and sleeves while i wait for ice to form  ;) i feel like i prep, and fiddle with everything a month or so before i can even use it...

If u have to replace a leader on the ice do you have to crimp at the swivel, or do you include the swivel in your premade leaders?

Offline ICEHOLE

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #16 on: Nov 29, 2016, 04:20 PM »
If u have to replace a leader on the ice do you have to crimp at the swivel, or do you include the swivel in your premade leaders?
swivel already crimped, so i just have to tie dacron to swivel and pinch on a weight

Offline Bigassbassman

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • New home, MA-->CO
« Reply #17 on: Nov 29, 2016, 10:05 PM »
Good topic!  I do a little of both for tipup leaders.  I tie palomar knots with 20# fluoro for bass.  For pike, I crimp 60# fluoro.
Flags up, gentlemen!!!

Offline Papa Sly

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #18 on: Nov 30, 2016, 08:36 AM »
I tie a snap swivel on the end of my dacron and always carry a Lindy rigger full for each type of fish that I fish for. When I break off or leader needs to be changed I open up swivel and take off old leader and my new leaders have a spro swivel on the opposite end of the hook. Just attach and close swivel, no tying at all while on the ice. I take high blood pressure and hands get way to cold due to medicine to try tying on the ice any more.
With the right crimps and a good crimping tool you can't go wrong in my opinion. Plus I agree with Icehole, I am always looking for something ice fishing related to do in November so I replace all my leaders and tie my backups, 4 riggers worth.

Offline stripernut

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Tight Lines!
« Reply #19 on: Nov 30, 2016, 09:02 AM »
I tie a snap swivel on the end of my dacron and always carry a Lindy rigger full for each type of fish that I fish for. When I break off or leader needs to be changed I open up swivel and take off old leader and my new leaders have a spro swivel on the opposite end of the hook. Just attach and close swivel, no tying at all while on the ice.

I do the same, except I use use small plastic bags for my pre made rigs...
Years ago I tried something like the Lindy Rigger, was not my cup of tea. With the plastics bags I keep a few of the ones I am using that day in a breast pocket, so when yet another pickerel nicks up my leader, I have a new leader with me, instead of back at my Clam Scout... I just find the Lindy Rigger style leader holder too bulky to carry around in a pocket. I also found that with as many leaders and leader styles that I carry they just don't work for me and the other end of the Double Ryder hooks are sticking out and catching everything...

Offline lowaccord66

• Team IceshantyInsanity
« Reply #20 on: Nov 30, 2016, 09:13 AM »
Ive been dunking the same 5 pieces of wire with a crimped 5/0 owner octopus for years...I may make some new ones this season, like Matt said it is kinda fun.

Offline flaggs

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Old School!
« Reply #21 on: Nov 30, 2016, 09:50 AM »
Ive been dunking the same 5 pieces of wire with a crimped 5/0 owner octopus for years...I may make some new ones this season, like Matt said it is kinda fun.

Owner? Best all around hooks in Salt; IMHO! I use Gami finesse wides through the ice and have 20-30 built before the season. "Clap on Clap off" BAM- Done.
Credit for below: Porter!

Flex-Rite 49 - 49 strand nylon-coated, stainless steel micro-wire (.024" ((60mm))
I got it in a 30'  spool
Leader sleeves - AFW (american fishing wire) #3 - i.d. .055"
Gamakatsu Finese Wide Gap hooks - I use 2 sizes, 1 and 2 - wicked nice hooks man..
Crane swivels (take your pick on brand) size 12

Flaggs!
IceShanty.Com: "The best place to go ice fishing, when you can't go ice fishing!"   A Flaggs Orginal

Offline Papa Sly

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #22 on: Nov 30, 2016, 10:10 AM »
I do notice that with the double ryder hooks that you got me trying this year. I have a 6 gallon bucket with the bucket caddy around it. I keep my bait bucket inside it and everything else I need in the caddy, knife,scale,leaders,hooks and sinkers,depth finders, etc. Since I take this when I go to the hole I have everything I need. The only problem I have is trying to straighten out the leader as it is all coiled up. Picked up a leather straightener to try this year.

Offline lowaccord66

• Team IceshantyInsanity
« Reply #23 on: Nov 30, 2016, 10:12 AM »
I agree Roger and good specs for anyone who may be interested.  I was using the owners for eels and decided I wanted to use them for pike.  This year I am going to play with some knot2kinky nickle-titanuim wire just because....I was using AFW nylon coated 25 and it worked fine...

Offline Papa Sly

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #24 on: Nov 30, 2016, 10:21 AM »
I have leaders with both 60# flouro and 25# wire but I tend to not use the wire as much due to lower hit rates. I am not one of those guys who are happy to sit around all day for 1 or 2 hits a one pike. I like having a lot of action and am willing to lose a fish now and then to catch 4 or 5 times as many over the season but to each his own.
I have tracked this in Tupper New York where we used the same bait and had 8X as many hits on flouro all be it not all pike but great action with both pike and bass.

Offline flaggs

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Old School!
« Reply #25 on: Nov 30, 2016, 10:39 AM »
I agree Roger and good specs for anyone who may be interested.  I was using the owners for eels and decided I wanted to use them for pike.  This year I am going to play with some knot2kinky nickle-titanuim wire just because....I was using AFW nylon coated 25 and it worked fine...
  :thumbsup:

I'd be very interested in hearing your review on the knot2kinky!  Thanks LowA!  :tipup:

Flaggs!
IceShanty.Com: "The best place to go ice fishing, when you can't go ice fishing!"   A Flaggs Orginal

Offline capt.shay

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Pike and 'Eyes

"I will never stop targeting trophies, every skunk is one skunk closer to a giant "  RC

"We're going to sit around the shanty mama...."  Johnathan Edwards

"If you are going out there to figure it all out by yourself, well, ice has a
 learning curve second only to fire. I wish you the best of luck."    Looneyducer

Offline lowaccord66

• Team IceshantyInsanity
« Reply #27 on: Nov 30, 2016, 10:44 AM »
No problem Roger.  Sly every pike I've ever posted here has been on wire, my hit rate varies from yours!  Beauty of fishing, what works for one may not work for the other but does not suggest that either is better than the other.  Although I am happy to compare my pb wire pike from mass to yours on floro!   ;D

Offline capt.shay

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Pike and 'Eyes
« Reply #28 on: Nov 30, 2016, 10:45 AM »

I used some Ti wire last year and found it kinked up.  It was a different brand though.

"I will never stop targeting trophies, every skunk is one skunk closer to a giant "  RC

"We're going to sit around the shanty mama...."  Johnathan Edwards

"If you are going out there to figure it all out by yourself, well, ice has a
 learning curve second only to fire. I wish you the best of luck."    Looneyducer

Offline lowaccord66

• Team IceshantyInsanity
« Reply #29 on: Nov 30, 2016, 10:48 AM »
I used some Ti wire last year and found it kinked up.  It was a different brand though.

Im going to order some of the stuff you posted as well....when I hit champlain Ill fish both and see which I like more...kinks are definetly a concern.

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.