Ice Fishing Iowa board sponsored by

Author Topic: Eastern Iowa First Ice  (Read 8452 times)

Offline wmcox

• Team IceShanty Regular
Eastern Iowa First Ice
« on: Nov 11, 2016, 05:21 AM »
Would anyone be interested in setting up a group fishing day in eastern iowa once we have safe ice? It would be cool to meet up with some people from the site. Always is nice to make new fishing buddies.

Offline Huntindave

• Team IceShanty Addict
Re: Eastern Iowa First Ice
« Reply #1 on: Nov 11, 2016, 06:47 AM »
Where are you located?  Eastern Iowa covers a lot of territory.  I don't mind driving a bit but if it is going to be a 3 hour drive one way, I'd have to allow for that.
take care,
Dave  :>)

Offline Wavfire06

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #2 on: Nov 11, 2016, 06:52 PM »
I agree always open to fishing with other guys from here I am from waverly
If u can read my coat u are to close

Offline wmcox

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #3 on: Nov 14, 2016, 07:40 AM »
I am from Camanche. Normally during ice season I'm as far north as dubuque and as far West as Iowa City.

Offline Fedexguy

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #4 on: Nov 14, 2016, 10:07 AM »
SW Cedar Rapids here. Name the lake and let's do it!
I love big honkers! Giant Canadian etc...

Offline wmcox

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #5 on: Nov 14, 2016, 05:48 PM »
I've never fish Lake Macbride on the ice. I was out there a couple weeks ago and caught some nice crappies and some walleye on the south arm. A few of the crappies were pushing 17". Anyone every fish that lake? Does the ice end up consistent or sketchy?

Offline Wavfire06

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #6 on: Dec 02, 2016, 09:54 PM »
With the weather outlook might have safe ice in a few weeks let's hope what's everyone's thoughts on a ice meeting
If u can read my coat u are to close

Offline river rat 58

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #7 on: Dec 03, 2016, 01:22 PM »
we ice fished mcbride a few times last winter. caught some fish most on the smaller size. Fished out of a boat the last few weeks, did well
size did improve. i would meet up with a group sounds fun
max

Offline Qceskimo

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #8 on: Dec 05, 2016, 09:02 AM »
That would be fun.  Any of you all been on the Mississippi backwaters at all?  I usually fish the Wapsi backwaters and do well, but would like to try some other spots.  Any suggests? 

Offline wmcox

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #9 on: Dec 05, 2016, 03:50 PM »
I fish the backwaters around clinton all the time. With the projected Temps I should be on the ice in about 2 weeks. Message me if you want to do some early ice crappies and perch fishing.

Offline Qceskimo

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #10 on: Dec 05, 2016, 05:04 PM »
Yeah that would be awesome.  I'll DM you.

Offline riverbottoms

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Hardwater Hardcore
« Reply #11 on: Dec 05, 2016, 07:54 PM »
I fish the backwaters around clinton all the time. With the projected Temps I should be on the ice in about 2 weeks. Message me if you want to do some early ice crappies and perch fishing.
Bill,
 With the coming temps we might be fishing the shallower backwaters by next monday

Offline wmcox

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #12 on: Dec 06, 2016, 03:17 PM »
I actually just got done checking the weather Terry. I am getting excited. Going to scheels this weekend to pick up some new rods and reels and other gear. Also have to buy a new battery for my flasher and find some new blades for my 6" lazer. I will be starting to check the usual spots soon and keep you updated. Please let me know if you find any fish able ice. I believe you have my number.

Offline jrjach75

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #13 on: Dec 08, 2016, 09:47 PM »
That would be fun.  Any of you all been on the Mississippi backwaters at all?  I usually fish the Wapsi backwaters and do well, but would like to try some other spots.  Any suggests?

I fish the Mississippi backwaters... where are you located? I can point you to some spots around the Clinton area, though it would probably be the same places wmcox is talking about.

If they keep the gates open, I'd suggest Lost Grove Lake for your get together. Easy access, and even if the fish aren't huge, it's pretty much non stop action.

Offline Qceskimo

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #14 on: Dec 09, 2016, 02:16 PM »
I live near the Quad Cities.  Was driving all around Clinton and Jackson counties today and the farm pond are closed tight.  561 off the Wapsi is pretty close to being closed up as well.  Hope this weekend the snow is light and just blows right off. 

Offline Qceskimo

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #15 on: Dec 12, 2016, 03:12 PM »
Any one out in Eastern Iowa today checking ice conditions?

Offline river rat 58

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #16 on: Dec 12, 2016, 03:17 PM »
had about 2 inches on  the pond yesterday
waiting a few more days for another inch or 2
playing it safe
max

Offline Qceskimo

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #17 on: Dec 12, 2016, 03:23 PM »
Was it slushy? 

Offline wmcox

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #18 on: Dec 12, 2016, 03:47 PM »
The ice I found yesterday was solid. The only problem was the river has been dropping. That's not going to help any. Hopefully everything stabilizes. If not I may be waiting to fish for a bit. Though with the projected Temps I hope to get on a couple of my early ice crappies spots early next week.

Offline Qceskimo

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #19 on: Dec 12, 2016, 04:23 PM »
I had a couple of slushy spots just outside the QC.  I stopped in between visits for work.  The extended forecast for the end of December looks warmer so let hope for some good ice to start a nice base layer.

Offline matzilla

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #20 on: Dec 12, 2016, 06:54 PM »
Hoping my little pond is good to go this coming weekend, most the farm ponds look a little slushy after the mist and snow

Catchin' Fish

Offline boomdigs

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #21 on: Dec 13, 2016, 02:31 PM »
I'm also in Camanche and always down to meet some new people as I go out by myself most of the time. Let me know if this gets arranged or if you want to hit some spots in the near future.

Offline Qceskimo

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #22 on: Dec 13, 2016, 02:54 PM »
Yeah I'm usually fish alone as well so if you all want to meet up in that area on a weekend I'd make the short trip. 

Offline wmcox

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #23 on: Dec 13, 2016, 04:21 PM »
I'm going to check a few places Friday. I'm sure we should have safe ice by then. I plan on fishing either Sunday or Monday. Weather depending.

Offline IceAddict87

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #24 on: Dec 13, 2016, 06:24 PM »
I had a couple of slushy spots just outside the QC.  I stopped in between visits for work.  The extended forecast for the end of December looks warmer so let hope for some good ice to start a nice base layer.

Hahaha. Hasn't even been on the ice yet and is already worried about the "extended forecast" for the end of December. Those aren't worth the web page they were published on. I think 10 days from now we will be more worried about where the fish are biting than if the ice is thick enough. I think this place lacks some optimism sometimes. We are already in better shape than the last two years, let's start there. I for one am pumped to get out on the ice before Christmas. Too bad I have way too many christmas' to go to in the next 3 weeks otherwise I would be fishing.

Offline Qceskimo

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #25 on: Dec 14, 2016, 05:33 PM »
What else is there to talk about until we do start fishing?

Offline river rat 58

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #26 on: Dec 15, 2016, 08:55 AM »
Me and a buddy got out yesterday and did well on bluegill and bass. will try to post pics soon. ice was  3 1/2  inches. It was good to be ice fishing again.
max

Offline IAIceGirl

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #27 on: Dec 15, 2016, 10:34 AM »
anyone decide on a spot yet? We are in Cedar Rapids. Always nice to meet other ice fishermen/women.
Married to "FrozenHollander". #FishingBuddiesForLife 
Couples who fish together, stay together. 🐟❤️

Offline wmcox

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #28 on: Dec 15, 2016, 11:36 AM »
I don't really know too many lakes west of DeWitt. I was planning on fishing the Mississippi backwaters early next week. I got stuck working nights all weekend. Has anyone checked the ice around thomson or camanche area lately?

Offline wmcox

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #29 on: Dec 15, 2016, 11:46 AM »
I am planning on checking lost grove lake tomorrow. I want to see if a few of the shallow bay are good. If nothing else the small lake should be safe.

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.