Ice Fishing Iowa board sponsored by

Author Topic: ATV winch  (Read 611 times)

Offline Bates

• Team IceShanty Regular
ATV winch
« on: Nov 05, 2016, 06:16 PM »
Looking to get a winch for the Honda. Cabela's is having a sale and can get a Koplin 2,500 lb for $80 regular price is $250 anyone use these? Also do you have to buy a mounting plate no matter the brand? Thanks

Offline hookset81

• Team IceShanty Regular
Re: ATV winch
« Reply #1 on: Nov 09, 2016, 12:48 PM »
I saw that in the fleet farm flyer just the other day too.  It looks like either a knockoff or cheap version of the superwinch terra25.  I put a terra 35 on my atv this year and love it.  I didn't need a mounting plate, but if your honda doesn't have one you will need it.  Best to get your winch and then figure that out if you have time.

I got a good deal on the superwinch, $156 on Amazon, but they are usually around $200.  My fear with going cheap on it would be it won't last long, they have to cheapen them up somehow, and the only parts I can see them doing it with are the gears, bearings and motors. 

I am sure plenty of folks get by fine with a cheap winch, especially if you don't need to use it much.  I just didn't want to risk it.  If you figure out it's junk after using it you will have the price of a good winch and a crappy one instead of just the good one...a lesson we all learn too many times I am sure.

Offline Bates

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #2 on: Nov 13, 2016, 06:31 PM »
Fleet Farm had the Champion,  I was asking about the Koplin in the Cabela's add. Cabela's is having a pre black Friday daily sale. Cabela's regular price was 250 on sale for 80, big difference.

Offline hookset81

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #3 on: Nov 16, 2016, 03:52 PM »
In my experience the cheap one's just aren't worth messing with.  But, as we all know, sometimes budget plays a bigger role than we would like.

Offline mbart

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #4 on: Nov 16, 2016, 05:20 PM »
Purchase a winch mounting plate specific to your atv, I used a KFI mount on my KQ 400, purchased @ amazon com.

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.