Author Topic: Cleaning a rusty eyelet?  (Read 5250 times)

Offline mistertwister

• Team IceShanty Addict
Cleaning a rusty eyelet?
« on: Nov 05, 2016, 04:54 PM »
I'm in the process of building tip downs And have some HT little jigger rods to use. After closer inspection 2 of the poles have some rusty eyelets, is there a way to clean these up to use? I've heard Pepsi can remove rust, or am I better off just replacing, if I'm replacing, any idea what size I need to get? I would just get new rods but I'd rather fix these  :tipup: a

Offline carpface

• IceShanty Rookie
Re: Cleaning a rusty eyelet?
« Reply #1 on: Nov 05, 2016, 06:39 PM »
I just use some looks feel wool . Dip the wool in water and start rubbing

Offline darkeyez

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #2 on: Nov 05, 2016, 07:45 PM »
Probably better off to replace.
If just light rust, try soaking for a day or so in strong lemonade (citric acid), and then work on the rust with something like mentioned above, fine steel wool, or something similar. I soaked some rusty bolts from a boat trailer in lemonade after reading about it, and couldn't believe how it removed the rust.

Offline Chris338378

• Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #3 on: Nov 08, 2016, 04:22 AM »
Vinegar will take off the rust.  If it's surface rust I'd soak it in vinegar but if it's more serious I'd replace it.

Offline Zachery80

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #4 on: Nov 08, 2016, 05:02 AM »
If you do decide to clean the corrosion off try to put a corrosion inhibitor on the eyelet because the coating on the eyelet is most likely gone or you are going to rub it away. This will slow down the rusty corrosion process in the future.

Offline Spider1

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #5 on: Nov 08, 2016, 05:13 AM »
I had to remove some surface rust from some chrome and steel on a couple of bicycles this spring. I did some research and found a hack for it. Vinegar and aluminum foil. Crumple up the foil and dip it into the vinegar and rub the rust right off. Supposedly, the vinegar and foil make a chemical reaction when it hits the oxidized metal. It worked. I then took it out to my truck and tried it on the bumper and it took the surface rust right off.

Offline mistertwister

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #6 on: Nov 08, 2016, 06:55 AM »
Well I tried coca cola, that worked a little. Then I tried CLR and that got the rust pretty much off, but they are still corroded and rough. Might try to scrub them to see if I can get it off, if not any idea what size tips to put on?

Offline Chris338378

• Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #7 on: Nov 08, 2016, 08:15 AM »
NAPA Auto Parts sells a rust converter if you want to go that route.  I don't remember the name of it at the moment but I remember it's not cheap.

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.